2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

A view of the Homer airport as we reached the end of the Spit:

2012Alaska-7245.jpg

Aex brought the plane down effortlessly, and after reaching the K Bay hanger, I was able to finally extricate myself from my tiny tin can back seat! I was relieved to be back on the ground safe and sound! He was a great guide and pilot, and was kind enough to pose for pictures with us before we went in and turned in our waders. Just in case you were wondering about that snazzy accessory around Bev's waist, that was our required personal floatation device we were warned several times to NOT pull the yellow tab until we were OUT of the plane:D!

2012Alaska-0181.jpg

That was the only time Bev didn't have a smile on her face - she LOVED her waders! After checking out, we piled back into the car and headed to the B&B so we could change and head back out to explore the beautiful sunny weather.

L.J.

Since the weather was so nice, we headed back up the overlook/rest area/photo op location high on the bluff that you encounter just as you drive into Homer.

2012Alaska-0183.jpg

2012Alaska-7273.jpg

2012Alaska-7282.jpg

The planted areas were very cool, because not only were there beautiful flowers, but there was also a lot of vegetables. The area was used as a community garden to supply food for the community as well.

The views along the overlook we fantastic as well, from the copious wildflowers, to the clear view of the Spit off in the distance...

2012Alaska-7286.jpg

2012Alaska-7290.jpg

L.J.

The bluff was so high, that right above us, in addition to crows and ravens, an eagle circled above us, riding the thermals in the blinding sunshine:

2012Alaska-9929.jpg

2012Alaska-9931.jpg

2012Alaska-9946.jpg

Even though we didn't spend a lot of time there, we were totally happy that we took the time to run up the hill and check it out!!!

2012Alaska-0184.jpg

Next - off to Skyline Drive to see the overlook above the Spit. After that, off to the Russian Orthodox village where the road ends at the end of Kachemak Bay!

L.J.

Sigh....just awesome! But hey - don't use up all the pics in the review! Remember, one a day til my trip next year (well, you're off the hook by June 5, since that's the day we fly to Anchorage)! :p

LOL - I took 12,000 or so, so I think I'll be ok. They just won't all be so nice...:D

L.J.

Oh, I think you're being too modest. I'm sure YOUR worst picture would beat any of the ones I'll end up taking any day...

I really wish I could afford to take more time for a land tour and do the bear thing, but just not in the cards - it truly seems like an "otherwordly" experience - I'm envious!

LOL - I'm sure you all are underestimating yourselves. I did manage to take two shots with the lens cap on, so no one can do worse than that, right?!?!:D

I had 14 8GB cards, 3 8GB cards, and 6 4GB cards. I DID have spares at the end:). I think in the end I took just short of 80GB of photos.

Again, the downside of all those photos is a LOT of losers. But the upside is the keepers!

Even though we did do our bear trips on our land tour, there are a number a good ones that can be done on a cruise, especially out of Ketchikan, which has a number of different options depending on the month and the salmon.

L.J.

K Bay Air. As I mentioned above, the owner, Michael, guided the group. He's been doing it so long that I guess he was confident that he could handle the situation. Still, glad we weren't in that group.

L.J.

I am truly astounded he took that kid. He generally runs a reputable operation but my opinion of him dropped considerably for putting everyone including the bears in danger.

As many times as I have been to Hallo Bay and one time with Emerald Air out of Homer, I have NEVER seen a little kid. There were a couple of 10 year olds one time at Hallo Bay-they were staying with their parents and grandparents for a week. Grandpa was some big time wildlife photographer with National Geographic. They were well behaved and never got out of sight of the parents or grandparents other than to go down to the "point" at night.

Clint and Smyra, who own Hallo Bay, could not have been happy when they found out about the 4 year old. They really value the bears and want to keep everyone safe and enjoying the bears while getting very, very close. Those bears in that area are not threatened, they generally have plenty of food and do not associate humans with food. That is one reason people get 20-30 feet from the bears very safely. I bet the next time one of them goes to Homer, they went right to K-Bay for a little chat. Very, very dangerous.

Your pictures are great. I take lousy pictures. The memories have to stay in my head.

I have a couple that I have posted before-we were sitting on the same beach watching a couple of 4 yo males sparring for well over 30 minutes. They kept looking at us as if to say "are you getting all this?". And then the one where the giant boar was laying in the way of the plane on the beach. We all had to wait until he decided to go back to fishing before the day trip people could get to the plane. Andy, the pilot, was really getting antsy as it was getting late.

And one of the most priceless ones I have-small almost white cub with a severely injured foot. Mom was trying to keep him protected. But a large boar showed up and Mom was going to take off. She decided otherwise and the picture shows her on her back legs growling ferociously while this little yearling cub scampers off towards safety. Last we saw of him, he was OK. Hope he made it to adulthood.

Bev elected to drive again to maximize my freedom to jump in and out of the car to take photos at different points. I think she just likes to drive new cars! We drove up Skyline Drive, which is a very pretty drive that weaves its way up the mountainside, then runs the top of the ridge for several miles, offering beautiful views of Homer town center, the Spit, and Kachemak Bay and the hanging glaciers of the Kenai Mountains. If you ever go to Homer and have any decent weather, I would totally recommend taking the drive. It doesn't take more than a half hour or so, but it's a great ride.

2012Alaska-7303.jpg

2012Alaska-7308.jpg

A nice, sunny shot of the Homer airport and the Spit

2012Alaska-7323.jpg

A couple of shot of brilliant Grewingk Glacier

2012Alaska-7319.jpg

2012Alaska-7312.jpg

Next up - East End Road!

L.J.

After we turned back down the bluff, we connected with East End Road. This road runs 14 or so miles from Homer to the end of Kachemak Bay. Where the pavement ends, a dirt road takes its place, making the beginning of the Russian Orthodox settlement that has been in the area for decades. Along the way we were treated to views of fields of wildflowers when we weren't close enough to see the bay.

2012Alaska-9969.jpg

2012Alaska-9973.jpg

We reached the end of the pavement and started down the dirt road. Our B&B host, Kathy, had warned us about how the folks in the settlement drove "a little crazy" She said she had been there before with friends, but wouldn't drive. We did encounter a number of cars, all completely packed with people, and they did indeed drive pretty fast! The settlement homes looked just like other homes in the area, and the cars were modern, but we did see a couple of young women in long traditional dresses pushing a modern baby stroller.

Near the end of the road, we encountered a turnout located at the settlement cemetery. Bev pulled over and I took some photos of beautiful Kachemak Bay and a couple more alpine glaciers.

2012Alaska-9989.jpg

2012Alaska-9986.jpg

After getting turned around, we headed back towards Homer for a dinner date out a Fat Olive's, a local and Trip Advisor favorite. On our way back, we took a short side trip down another little dirt road to see the views above a pretty little pond we drove by on the way out.

2012Alaska-9994.jpg

2012Alaska-9998.jpg

Next up - dinner!!!

L.J.

Gorgeous ... And how nice of the weather to cooperate so you could get great shots of these beautiful views. I will be attempting to stowaway on your next trip. I could probably hide in your camera gear and you would't notice:). BTW, how's your back? After seeing your photo with all that gear while you were bear watching, I was a little concerned for you:o

Our sightseeing done for the day, we returned to Homer and made our way to Fat Olive's for dinner. Fat Olive's had received high marks both on Trip Advisor and from our host Kathy, so we were really looking forward to dinner. Me a little more than Bev, I think, who was ready for a long winter's nap at this point!

2012Alaska-0205.jpg

Fat Olive's exterior belies what you'll find inside, looking like little more than a takeout pizza joint upon first impression.

2012Alaska-0204.jpg

Heading inside, though, was a warm and inviting interior, a nice blend of natural light at one end as the early evening light poured through the windows, paired with the earthy tones on the interior. Art for two local artists adorned the walls. In addition to decoration, the pieces were also for sale. After a brief wait at the bar for a table were seated.

2012Alaska-0200.jpg

2012Alaska-0203.jpg

2012Alaska-0192.jpg

2012Alaska-0191.jpg

We had a bit of a wait for our server, and then we really settled in. Even though Fat Olive's in known for their pizza, there were several pizza places on our to visit list while in Homer, so we elected for other options. I ordered a baked penne pasta dish in a vodka cream sauce with tomatoes, summer squash, zucchini and chicken. Bev order the shrimp & scallop skewer.

30 minutes passed, 40 minutes passed, an hour...

When I was able to wrangle our server she apologized profusely, explaining that there was an issue in the kitchen and that they had made my dish as a seafood edition instead of chicken. To their credit, once the food arrived, it was VERY tasty! We were actually too tired to complain, but we ended up getting the meal comped, which with the cost of meals in Alaska was no small thing.

2012Alaska-0199.jpg

2012Alaska-0198.jpg

Bev went right to bed when got back to the B&B. I settled in to enjoy my fresh rhubard crisp that Kathy had made for us, while downloading photos and videos. It was well after midnight when I finished, foreshadowing that my dream of posting live everyday was to be short-lived! Day 2 - finally complete!

Next up...

Surprise neighbors, new friends, and a dead body...

L.J.

Gorgeous ... And how nice of the weather to cooperate so you could get great shots of these beautiful views. I will be attempting to stowaway on your next trip. I could probably hide in your camera gear and you would't notice:). BTW, how's your back? After seeing your photo with all that gear while you were bear watching, I was a little concerned for you:o

LOL. Next trip - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba & Curacao - October 2013!!!

You joke! In 2009, however, we almost cancelled our first trip to Alaska due to back issues and the prospect of back surgery:eek::(! Fortunately, everything worked out so that I'm in a temporary cease fire with the enemy forces in my lower back - hopefully for the next 50 years or so;).

L.J.

WOW!!! These pictures are just stunning. Thanks again for taking time to post them. So happy for you and it is very obvious you enjoyed your visit.

Thanks mbx2 - especially for hanging in here with me!

L.J.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

thanks so much for sharing L.J. & Bev, you two look like you are having a wonderful time :)

:D i am with Kathy, one pic a day until next june when we get to head up north :D

How about a picture a day for the next year? :D

Thanks for the reminder about the Groupon, I need to sign up to get them for Alaska! They sure do come in handy!

A dead body LJ??? Can't wait to read this one!

LOL. Next trip - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba & Curacao - October 2013!!!

You joke! In 2009, however, we almost cancelled our first trip to Alaska due to back issues and the prospect of back surgery:eek::(! Fortunately, everything worked out so that I'm in a temporary cease fire with the enemy forces in my lower back - hopefully for the next 50 years or so;).

L.J.

I'm really enjoying your review! Your photos are amazing and I can't wait to get up there myself!

I'm glad your back issues have settled down. I'm in the same boat, holding off on my second fusion as long as I possibly can!

Thank you for the fantastic pictures and trip report. I'll be in AK in 10 days for a 3 weeks (land tour and 7 day SB cruise to Vancouver). My itinerary starts out pretty much like yours (at Homer w/ Kbay, Seward, and DNP). I look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures and trip report soon? I'm hoping you will be able to finish your trip report in the next 10 days -- any chance?

Edited by alliecat378

I'm really enjoying your review! Your photos are amazing and I can't wait to get up there myself!

I'm glad your back issues have settled down. I'm in the same boat, holding off on my second fusion as long as I possibly can!

Thanks. I'm hoping that should I ever have to face back surgery that the disc replacement process will have been perfected to the point the hip and knee replacements have. I know when we were looking at options, it was 50/50 it you would feel reborn using that procedure, or end up feeling even worse...

L.J.

Edited by WalleyeLJ

Thank you for the fantastic pictures and trip report. I'll be in AK in 10 days for a 3 weeks (land tour and 7 day SB cruise to Vancouver). My itinerary starts out pretty much like yours (at Homer w/ Kbay, Seward, and DNP). I look forward to seeing the rest of your pictures and trip report soon? I'm hoping you will be able to finish your trip report in the next 10 days -- any chance?

Hy alliecat,

I'm trying! The day job & Olympics keep getting in the way, plus the need to get photos to different folks we met along the way. I'm hoping to pick up the pace in the next couple of days. After the Day 4 bear viewing post, it should go much more quickly (famous last words...):)

L.J.

Edited by WalleyeLJ