"chogs...aka chair hogs

billcrooz

Well Carnival came out today with a new dictum; leave your chairs by the pool and after 40 minutes your belongings will be removed.. Hopefully this will be followed by Silversea ,especially in the Carribbean. I can't tell you how many times we come up to the pool and nobody there but almost every seat in the shade has a book or flip flop in front of it...Miss Ellen please take note!

We were on an 18 day trip from Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale, and one "gentleman" and his wife came out before breakfast and put their things on two chairs by the pool right where the ping pong table was supposed to be set up. He would occupy his chair some time around 10 am, but his wife frequently didn't show up until the afternoon, but he refused to allow the staff to move her chair so the ping pong tournament could take place from 11 to 11:30. Even Susan Wood was unable to get him to move her chair out of the way! What a boor!

This also relates to a situation that should be addressed on the Whisper (and Shadow, I assume). At the pool, most of the shaded space below the port and starboard overhang is occupied by tables and chairs arranged for dining, rather than lounge chairs. On last year's Whisper cruise, I was unhappy to see very few poolside lounge chairs in the shade.

This particular concern was never much of a problem on the Cloud and Wind. There were always many shaded lounge chairs at the pool, lined up along the entire port and starboard sides, under the overhang.

I hope Silversea will rethink the arrangement of lounge chairs on the Whisper (and Shadow). At this point, I'm more inclined to limit our cruises to the Wind and Cloud.

This also relates to a situation that should be addressed on the Whisper (and Shadow, I assume). At the pool, most of the shaded space below the port and starboard overhang is occupied by tables and chairs arranged for dining, rather than lounge chairs. On last year's Whisper cruise, I was unhappy to see very few poolside lounge chairs in the shade.

This particular concern was never much of a problem on the Cloud and Wind. There were always many shaded lounge chairs at the pool, lined up along the entire port and starboard sides, under the overhang.

I hope Silversea will rethink the arrangement of lounge chairs on the Whisper (and Shadow). At this point, I'm more inclined to limit our cruises to the Wind and Cloud.

This sounds as if it could be changed on the Whisper and Shadow. Did you mention this in your post cruise comments to SS? Do you ink the Chogs will be a problem on a New Zealand/Australia cruise on the days at sea?

We took our family on a Caribbean cruise this spring on Celebrity. They had security cart away items left on empty chairs for more than 45 minutes. It happened to us while we went for a quick lunch!

Yes, Dmgmd50, I did include my request for more shaded chairs on the Whisper in the cruise questionnaire, and also in a more detailed letter to Frank Sansone, Director of Cruise Relations. We recently cancelled a Silversea cruise and I have to say this was one of a few reasons; we love to spend a lot of time on the ship, enjoy sitting by the pool, and don't want to be driven indoors for lack of shade. It was never a problem on the Wind or Cloud, and at these prices... We decided to try Crystal.

Back to your own question. If the area gets crowded, the pool stewards sometimes act on their own to remove personal articles left on chairs. This is more likely to be an issue on sea days. But on sea days, they also set up lots of of additional lounge chairs on the walking track, the open deck that overlooks the pool. So if you aren't bothered by the sun, finding a seat won't be a problem on your next cruise (and always see a steward if you have any difficulty).

From what I see on the Whisper and Spirit, it appears that Silversea is trying to develop more areas to attract people to dine or have cocktails, and perhaps to amp up the energy level. Unfortunately, it also appears that it's reducing the "quiet areas" that were a trademark on Silversea. Hard to balance both goals on small ships with limited space. I wonder which will win out?

I can't tell you how many times we come up to the pool and nobody there but almost every seat in the shade has a book or flip flop in front of it...Miss Ellen please take note!

Yes, Miss President of Silversea Americas, after you take care of the charity charge and shining my shoes please change the deck chair policy.

We need a strong woman to kick the nasty Brits out of our chairs.

There are plenty of chair hogs, but would one admit to reading this thread?

On the Spirit last year, CHOGs were the subject of some hilarity at dinner since there was one group who would stake out their claim to the prime loungers first thing in the day. By watching on the in-cabin tv, you could figure out what time they'd place their things there. (Some days it was as early at 6:30!)

All kinds of solutions were suggested; my favourite was to keep moving the page marker in their books.

At the risk of changing the light-hearted sense of this thread, and of course this post will: I believe this is a serious problem, that all cruise lines-at least at the luxury level need to solve. From our first luxury cruise on the Paul Gaugin to our last on the Silver Whisper we have been dismayed both by the rudeness of those who chog and the wimpiness of the crew to remove obvious chair holders.

TBH this problem also exists at luxury resorts-Little Dix Bay comes to mind, but there are others.

I've never understood the reluctance and/or inability to enforce rules laid down by management.

Reminds me of parents who won't enforce rules -- enablers -- wimps.

What's so tough about saying THESE ARE THE RULES -- or GUIDELINES if you must -- but why make 'em if you're not going to enforce?.

Done !! That's my rant for today !! :p

I've never understood the reluctance and/or inability to enforce rules laid down by management.

Reminds me of parents who won't enforce rules -- enablers -- wimps.

What's so tough about saying THESE ARE THE RULES -- or GUIDELINES if you must -- but why make 'em if you're not going to enforce?.

Done !! That's my rant for today !! :p

I hope our paths cross. I can't wait to meet a kindred spirit!!!

I can say that when I am at the pool, I am in my chair from 9AM til ????. The only time I get up, is potty, walk around the deck, etc. It does disturb me when chairs are "claimed" and no one is there for hours or they will leave for hours and still leave their "stuff" on the chairs. I saw a couple take chairs, go on an AM shore excursion and come back. Rude and inconsiderate? You betcha!

PS: I did tell them it just wasn't right. They didn't like it, but oh well! So they never spoke to me. Big deal. Who cares. :rolleyes: That was on the Shadow in 2009.

We took our family on a Caribbean cruise this spring on Celebrity. They had security cart away items left on empty chairs for more than 45 minutes. It happened to us while we went for a quick lunch!

Just wondering what people consider to be chair hogging?

Is it chair hogging when u leave all your stuff on your chair and go off somewhere for lunch? i.e. physically leaving the pool deck?

I'm not much of a pool deck person, I like a swim but I don't like to bake.

Interested to hear what u all think.

Cheers

Jennifer

I don't remember there being a problem finding a pool chair when I was on board the Spirit about two years ago. I thought (naively?) that on a luxury cruiseship there would always be availability for every passenger. I do recall once on the Regent Navigator, it appeared that they had run out of pool chairs for their guests. Aquaintances of ours, who were late arrivals to the pool on a sea day, were extremely upset. They complained loudly and strongly and chairs began to be brought out from somewhere by the pool crew. I can't imagine being told on a Silversea cruise that every chair is taken... you're out of luck. Has that happened? ...Leaving next week for the Silver Spirit, need to know how early to hustle to get to the pool.

I consider "hogging" to be when you grab a prime spot, with no intention of using the chair for hours....and not leaving it available for others.

I do NOT consider it "hogging" when you are using the pool and chair....after all, you will get up and down, take a dip, get a drink, go to the restroom, sit down and sun some more, take another dip, etc.....that's just part of being at a pool!

Archived