Gratuity Amount for Room Service?

DocRock143

I agree with the two posts above but I am still inclined to give them a couple of bucks for delivering a continental breakfast on a timely basis.:)

That's your decision and it's fine.

What kinda' bugs me is when somebody asks a question about room service an the answer includes the tag, and don't forget to tip for room service. Maybe it's me, but I don't need anyone telling me when and when not to tip. I'm an adult and am fully capable of coming to a decision regarding a tip on my own.

Lew

WE always tip extra for room service.

But when you think about it, that must be one of the best jobs on the ship (no idea what their base pay rate is), but if everyone gave them $2 each time. Other than the bar people not many constantly get tips. They sometimes have a cart with four different cabin orders on them. Usually they are running around like mad. Think about how many orders they have for just a pot of coffee in the morning.

We normally order coffee, tea and something to much on in the morning. I gladly tip $2 to keep from having to get dressed and go to the buffet or dining room that early :-)

We almost always order juice and coffee. Sometimes add fruit or Danish. I always bring along a bunch of $2 bills and they seem to really like the different denomination. My normal tip, then, is $2.

Margaret

I think you also have to realize people cruise different lines so where on Princess it's the Food Service Staff that deliver room service, it's not on all lines. Celebrity it used to be your room steward. I consider that over and above what's expected.

That's your decision and it's fine.

What kinda' bugs me is when somebody asks a question about room service an the answer includes the tag, and don't forget to tip for room service. Maybe it's me, but I don't need anyone telling me when and when not to tip. I'm an adult and am fully capable of coming to a decision regarding a tip on my own.

Lew

I'm sorry Lew, I've said that but only because that's what I was told. I didn't know that the crew bringing my Room Service were part of the daily autotips but I do now.

If it's part of their job and they are in the auto tip pool how do you figure it's above what's expected?

I don't consider them delivering me breakfast, lunch, etc to be part of their responsibilities. Tipping is personal, I'd feel cheap if I didn't give them anything. I'm not trying to tell you how to tip, but I'm stating how we deal with it. Anything I ask them to do over and above me eating in the buffet or the dining room, I'll tip for.

I don't consider them delivering me breakfast, lunch, etc to be part of their responsibilities. Tipping is personal, I'd feel cheap if I didn't give them anything. I'm not trying to tell you how to tip, but I'm stating how we deal with it. Anything I ask them to do over and above me eating in the buffet or the dining room, I'll tip for.

I totally agree.

We almost always order juice and coffee. Sometimes add fruit or Danish. I always bring along a bunch of $2 bills and they seem to really like the different denomination. My normal tip, then, is $2.

Margaret

There was a long post about this several years ago. Maybe 10 years ago, someone (and I think it was on another travel forum)said the same thing, that a $2 bill was a special treat for them. So I picked up $100 worth. I got more strange looks when I handed them out and was later told NOT to give them out - they had a hard time using them and many store would not take them. I think one culture had a real problem with the $2 - can't remember exactly what it was about but only did it one time.

use $1 and $5

I, like many others, opt to tip the room service staff. I tip others, above and beyond what is expected, because I am grateful for personalized attention and service.

And maybe as important, I do write commendation cards for staff members. I have heard that these can factor heavily in promotions. Promotions= more money!:)

There was a long post about this several years ago. Maybe 10 years ago, someone (and I think it was on another travel forum)said the same thing, that a $2 bill was a special treat for them. So I picked up $100 worth. I got more strange looks when I handed them out and was later told NOT to give them out - they had a hard time using them and many store would not take them. I think one culture had a real problem with the $2 - can't remember exactly what it was about but only did it one time.

use $1 and $5

The major problem with the $2 bill outside the US is that they don't realize it is real US money and therefore will not accept it. There are many here in the US who are hesitant to take $2 bills. So it becomes unspendable just like the $1 US coin and old tattered US paper money. Stick with the $1 and $5 in good condition and do the staff on board a favor.

Correctly or not, I just kind of look at from the point of view that a couple of dollars is not going to effect my life....but I remember when I was young and hustling for tips, it meant a lot as I am sure it does to the young people who are usually are the room service staff.

WE always tip extra for room service.

But when you think about it, that must be one of the best jobs on the ship (no idea what their base pay rate is), but if everyone gave them $2 each time. Other than the bar people not many constantly get tips. They sometimes have a cart with four different cabin orders on them. Usually they are running around like mad. Think about how many orders they have for just a pot of coffee in the morning.

I know this is off thread, but the coffee from room service is it the stuff you get in the HC.

I'm sorry Lew, I've said that but only because that's what I was told. I didn't know that the crew bringing my Room Service were part of the daily autotips but I do now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we also pay 15% for our room service. Again I'm also in the habit tipping for extra service, which room service is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we also pay 15% for our room service. Again I'm also in the habit tipping for extra service, which room service is.

No charge for room service. Perhaps the 15% you are thinking of is the automatically charged 15% added to certain beverages such as soft drinks, mocktails, cocktails, and other adult beverages.

I know I will get blasted for this, but the reality is that the crew members delivering your room service are the same as the crew members working in the buffet or dining room. They are the same people participating in the same autotip distribution. If they weren't working room service, chances are they would be working in another area. It's not extra duty...it IS their duty. No additional tip is required for room service delivery.

It is my understanding that much of the time, these people are not assigned

to room service. Dining staff volunteers in their free time -- hoping

to make additional tip money. During peak times, there are people

assigned, as well.

It is my understanding that much of the time, these people are not assigned

to room service. Dining staff volunteers in their free time -- hoping

to make additional tip money. During peak times, there are people

assigned, as well.

Hmmm, that's not what I was told and I asked.

And they are the same waiters as in the buffet and dining room. I was more careful how I was dressed when received a room service delivery once I realized that. I had just been served coffee by someone in the buffet and a few hours later received a minibar change out from the same person dressed only in a robe.

Just like we would tip in a hotel for room service, we will do the same on a cruise. We look at the auto tip as part of the cost of the cruise, not the tip. So we will tip in cash on top of that for good service, wherever we encounter it.

Archived