Paris - 3.5 Days Pre Cruise

hubofhockey

Just adding in my 2 cents. While I have to admit I am not a huge fan of Paris, not far from the Eiffel Tower is (at least relatively recently) Bistro Ribe. Its a nice place to get a decent meal in a touristy area at a reasonable price. If you are staying in the Eiffel area in the evening to see the lights for a bit, its a nice option (someone had mentioned doing that).

Just adding in my 2 cents. While I have to admit I am not a huge fan of Paris, not far from the Eiffel Tower is (at least relatively recently) Bistro Ribe. Its a nice place to get a decent meal in a touristy area at a reasonable price. If you are staying in the Eiffel area in the evening to see the lights for a bit, its a nice option (someone had mentioned doing that).

Thanks. Our hotel for next December isn't far.

Hubofhockey, I hope you're still checking in.

How did you get your reservation at Paul Chene? I emailed but never got any response. (Yes, I checked my spam folder.) Just curious as I'd really like to go there for dinner and it will be crowded in Paris between Christmas and New Years, I'm sure.

Hubofhockey, I hope you're still checking in.

How did you get your reservation at Paul Chene? I emailed but never got any response. (Yes, I checked my spam folder.) Just curious as I'd really like to go there for dinner and it will be crowded in Paris between Christmas and New Years, I'm sure.

Hi Cruisemom, I owe you so much for your advice over the past three years and hope I can help out. I subscribe to this thread and get e-mails when people post. telephone +33 1 47 27 63 17, email contact@paulchene.com . I think I e-mailed him and confirmed by calling the day before the reservation. You might want to just call him. See note below on the dates he's closed. It's really a nice night out. Harold treats you like you are in his home. Enjoy.

I went to Harold's Facebook site and found this: Please take into consideration that Paul Chêne will be closed on the 24th, 25th, 31st of December 2012, and on the 1st of January 2013. Thank you all for your loyalty!

Ship-Disturber and Colleen, I'm glad you found this thread useful. We will be back the summer of 2014 and can't wait.

Edited by hubofhockey

Hi Cruisemom, I owe you so much for your advice over the past three years and hope I can help out. I subscribe to this thread and get e-mails when people post. telephone +33 1 47 27 63 17, email contact@paulchene.com . I think I e-mailed him and confirmed by calling the day before the reservation. You might want to just call him. See note below on the dates he's closed. It's really a nice night out. Harold treats you like you are in his home. Enjoy.

I went to Harold's Facebook site and found this: Please take into consideration that Paul Chêne will be closed on the 24th, 25th, 31st of December 2012, and on the 1st of January 2013. Thank you all for your loyalty!

Ship-Disturber and Colleen, I'm glad you found this thread useful. We will be back the summer of 2014 and can't wait.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd seen the dates and made a request for the 28th. I'll try emailing again and if that fails, I'll see if my hotel will do it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd seen the dates and made a request for the 28th. I'll try emailing again and if that fails, I'll see if my hotel will do it.

I'm sure it will all work out and have a great time in Paris. The great time is the easy part.

hubofhockey & TLCOhio,

you have given people interested in a few days in paris some invaluable info -

so nice to see practical and positive suggestions !

i was there for 3 - 3 day weekends (w/normandy, bayeux, mont st michel)

(avignon, nice, monaco)( in between the weekends) in 1989 &

we were there 6 days in 2001 -stayed in marais near st paul metro last time

we saw sooooo much but still have not seen all -

took several paris walking tours - led by mostly college students

highly versed in history, arts, etc.

can one ever see everything paris has to offer ????

we are planning on taking our grandkids - he'll be 17, she'll be 12 -

in 2016 for 7 to 10 days - she is ready now but believe she will enjoy it even more by then

thinking of getting an apartment near eiffel tower thru isabelle

on previous trips, missed giverny (monet,renoir, van gogh are my favorites)

& reims so will train to both for full day each

never been to london so anxiously planning our time there this coming summer !!

happy travels to all !! ann & jim

Edited by loma linda ca a & j
add words

. But to us, Southampton is not a destination and not a place we wanted to spend an entire day and night. .

had to chuckle when i read this as we have planned a complete itinerary for several days

from southampton based on excellent review on britain - southampton tours - by john bull

simple directions by train, cab, ferry to several places - beaulieu, salisbury, stonehenge,

bath, winchester, portsmouth, swansea - where we can spend as much time as we wish

we love museums, history, gardens, etc. w/out

being on a tourbus w/only a few minutes in each place

however, am so happy you were able to experience paris !!!

Edited by loma linda ca a & j
add words

had to chuckle when i read this as we have planned a complete itinerary for several days

from southampton based on excellent review on britain - southampton tours - by john bull

simple directions by train, cab, ferry to several places - beaulieu, salisbury, stonehenge,

bath, winchester, portsmouth, swansea - where we can spend as much time as we wish

we love museums, history, gardens, etc. w/out

being on a tourbus w/only a few minutes in each place

however, am so happy you were able to experience paris !!!

You took me out of context. That was a choice of an extra half day in Paris and a night in London versus arriving in Southampton mid-afternoon on Saturday. No offense to Southampton lovers, but it was a easy choice.

You took me out of context. That was a choice of an extra half day in Paris and a night in London versus arriving in Southampton mid-afternoon on Saturday. No offense to Southampton lovers, but it was a easy choice.

i really did understand - you were maximizing your time in paris !!

it just struck me funny as i had just finished reserving 5 nights in southampton !!:)

Yup, it had more to do with inconvenient flying times and wasting time in transit. We were able to get 1/2 day extra in Paris, still get dinner in London and see a show in the London. But if we weren't doing a cruise, not sure if we would ever find our way to Southampton.

We are also precruising 3.5 days in Paris in late March and find your itinerary about as compact and efficient as possible. Thanks to you, all we need to do is tweak it to fit us and we are good to go. Excellent report.

Z and TB

We are also precruising 3.5 days in Paris in late March and find your itinerary about as compact and efficient as possible. Thanks to you, all we need to do is tweak it to fit us and we are good to go. Excellent report.

Z and TB

You're very welcome. Tweak away :D and have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hubofhockey -- my thanks again for your detailed review. I just wanted to add my insights after spending the week between Christmas and New Year's in Paris.

We did a tour of Montmartre with Sightseeker's Delight, and it was delightful. Thanks for bringing this company to my attention, it was the perfect introduction for my 20 y.o. son to this area, which really benefited from the stories told by our guide. (Montmartre is an area where the stories are as important as the facts!) We also had the added bonus of a little Christmas market set up outside Sacre Coeur.

We also arranged for a guided tour of the Eiffer Tower with Cultivale for New Year's Eve at 5pm and not only was the tour perfect (just enough behind the scenes machinery to keep my son interested) but we had the thrill of being up on the tower on New Year's Eve and stayed there, looking around, until around 8pm.

For anyone thinking of visiting Paris at this time of year, be aware that it's a crowded time to visit. Lines were long. We waited in line 3 hours to see the Catacombs (and we were there within a half hour of opening). :eek: The Museum Pass was invaluable in helping us avoid lines at the Louvre and several other museums -- including Sainte Chapelle -- that seemed inexplicably busy. Versailles was an easy day trip, and luckily we had a sunny day for that. In general though, the weather was gray and chilly. It doesn't get light until about 9am and is dark by 5pm.

The perks of a holiday visit were the holiday markets here and there (vin chaud! hot chocolate! roasted chestnuts!), the department store window displays, and the skating rink and holiday lights at the Hotel de la Ville at the edge of the Marais.

We made very good use of the Metro, which is one of the easiest and best systems. Our hotel, Hotel Britannique, was situated at Chatelet, which is a major hub for 6-7 lines plus the RER line to the airport. It was a cute, charming, friendly place and I'd definitely stay there again.

All in all it was a very good trip and your hints were a hit. :D

Well, after all of the great advice I have taken from you, I'm glad I could pay some forward to you.

The Cultivale Eiffel Tower tour surprised me too at how good it was. Obviously, I agree on use of Metro and Paris Museum Pass. Couldn't imagine a vacation in Paris without either.

Hubofhockey -- my thanks again for your detailed review. I just wanted to add my insights after spending the week between Christmas and New Year's in Paris.

We did a tour of Montmartre with Sightseeker's Delight, and it was delightful. Thanks for bringing this company to my attention, it was the perfect introduction for my 20 y.o. son to this area, which really benefited from the stories told by our guide. (Montmartre is an area where the stories are as important as the facts!) We also had the added bonus of a little Christmas market set up outside Sacre Coeur.

We also arranged for a guided tour of the Eiffer Tower with Cultivale for New Year's Eve at 5pm and not only was the tour perfect (just enough behind the scenes machinery to keep my son interested) but we had the thrill of being up on the tower on New Year's Eve and stayed there, looking around, until around 8pm.

For anyone thinking of visiting Paris at this time of year, be aware that it's a crowded time to visit. Lines were long. We waited in line 3 hours to see the Catacombs (and we were there within a half hour of opening). :eek: The Museum Pass was invaluable in helping us avoid lines at the Louvre and several other museums -- including Sainte Chapelle -- that seemed inexplicably busy. Versailles was an easy day trip, and luckily we had a sunny day for that. In general though, the weather was gray and chilly. It doesn't get light until about 9am and is dark by 5pm.

The perks of a holiday visit were the holiday markets here and there (vin chaud! hot chocolate! roasted chestnuts!), the department store window displays, and the skating rink and holiday lights at the Hotel de la Ville at the edge of the Marais.

We made very good use of the Metro, which is one of the easiest and best systems. Our hotel, Hotel Britannique, was situated at Chatelet, which is a major hub for 6-7 lines plus the RER line to the airport. It was a cute, charming, friendly place and I'd definitely stay there again.

All in all it was a very good trip and your hints were a hit. :D

Returning to Paris for a few days in September. Was so happy to see the Hotel Britannique mentioned as thats where we are going to stay after tons of research. We stayed near the Eiffel last time and wanted to try a different area. Any tips for picnics etc are appreciated.

We also took a few tours with sightseekers last april and loved them both. Plan on another one this september.

Returning to Paris for a few days in September. Was so happy to see the Hotel Britannique mentioned as thats where we are going to stay after tons of research. We stayed near the Eiffel last time and wanted to try a different area. Any tips for picnics etc are appreciated.

We also took a few tours with sightseekers last april and loved them both. Plan on another one this september.

How did you find staying by the Eiffel Tower? We've booked an apartment in the 7th after staying at the Westin our last two trips

The Britannique could not have been a better choice for us. It was about a 15-minute walk in one direction to the Louvre and 10 minutes in another direction to Notre Dame. (I like this area better than the Eiffel Tower/Champs Elysees area as a place to stay.) The best part was the proximity to the Marais where you'll find lots of great little restaurants and funky, original shops. And the Chatelet station was a short half-block away.

While the hotel breakfast was good, it's pricey at 14 euros pp. We did it a couple of times but also enjoyed a bakery around the corner for a lighter breakfast, where you could sit down with a cafe and a croissant or brioche. (With your back to the hotel entrance, turn right, then right again at the corner.)

We did not have much luck finding a grocery or take-away place right in the vicinity of the hotel, but since we were out and about all day, we would just pick up stuff as we went.

There's a cafe that's catacorner to the hotel, Cafe Zimmer, which we found very good for dinner if you want someplace close by.

The best part was the proximity to the Marais where you'll find lots of great little restaurants and funky, original shops. And the Chatelet station was a short half-block away.

Super great point by Cynthia on the Marais and being in the more charming, interesting parts of Paris with real history and character. Our experience in Paris is that some of the areas around the Eiffel Tower or commercial/hotel zones are rather "boring" and bland. Go for what makes Paris so special and unique.

Below are some added tips, thoughts and ideas that had not been posted previously this thread. Plus, a few more visuals to spark ideas on the many great options in Paris.

Seine boat trip (can board at Pont Neuf), great views of famous Paris sights, especially at night as major buildings are lighted. From this website (www. vedettesdupontneuf.com), you can get more detailed information on one of the companies offering these trips.

MONTMARTRE/BASILIQUE DU SACRE-COEUR (church started being built in 1875 on one of highest points in Paris, dedicated in 1910); dome is second highest point in Paris, took 35 years to build with public conscription, great views at dawn and dusk plus from dome area over city, area made famous by artist Toulouse Lautrec, cubism born there; do direct Metro here, nearest station is Anvers or Pigalle. With its narrow cobblestone streets, gardens, steep steps and view over the city, this area is the emblem of romantic Paris. This church was mainly dedicated in the memory of those thousands who died in the uprising of the Paris Commune of 1870-71. Two dining options to consider in this area are: La Cremaillere on the famous Place du Tertre, where artists and intellectuals would meet. Just before World War I many artists such as Picassso, Modigliani, Utrillo and Apollinaire lived nearby. +33 1 4606 5859, info@cremaillere1900.com, Open Hours: 9a-12:30a M-Su. http://www.cremaillere1900.com/ Au Lapin Agile gives a flavor of Montmartre as it was at the turn of the century when it was a favorite of local artists and intellectuals. Open Tuesday to Sunday 9pm to 2am. 22, Rue Saules, 75018 Paris, +33 1 46 06 85 87, http://www.au-lapin-agile.com

Luxembourg Palais and Gardens, built in 17th century for Marie de Medici, now houses French Senate, food available in gardens, great place for picnics. This 25-hectare green oasis on Paris' fashionable Left Bank has formal gardens populated with many statues (including one of Sainte-Gèneviève, patron saint of Paris), fountains and beautiful flowers.

Musee Rodin, has nice scale in both the interior exhibit area as an old mansion, plus the gardens with the outdoor sculpture, at Varenne Metro stop next to Hotel des Invaldes, has third largest private garden in Paris, originally built in 1730, Rodin used as his studio from 1908 until his death in 1917, open Tuesday-Sunday 10-5:45.

VERSAILLES: By suburban subway/train (RER-C5 line, from St-Michel, every 15 minutes) or train (30 minutes) from Saint Lazare; started being built in 1660's for Sun King Louis XIV (during 1661 to 1715 period, involved 32,000 to 45,000 workers) in French classical architectural style; conceived as a world unto itself as seat of government, permanent residence of the royal family and the cream of nobility, was previously modest hunting lodge in swampy area; palace highlight is 236-foot long Hall of Mirrors where the treaty was signed ending WWI; a three-year restoration of this spectacular Hall of Mirrors was just completed in June 2007; through 2020, they are completing a $455 million project to upgrade Versailles with cleanings, new roofs, other restorations, etc.; this property has 700 rooms, 2,153 windows, 352 chimneys and 28 acres of roof; in the huge garden areas are Grand Canal, Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon and Hameau used by Marie Antoinette; town population of 100,000; possible bus tour or car drive options out to Versailles; open 9:45-5, park open sunrise to sunset; tour palace first and gardens later (closed Monday). From this website (http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en), you can get more detailed information.

DINING: Assuming you're not looking for the high-end, pricy places, the great news is that most any place will be very good to great to excellent. It's hard to have a bad meal in France!! The secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

Here's a good "balancing suggestion" for saving your dining budget. Grab your lunch at one of the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in a park area or bench in Paris or the country side. Like a little picnic! Saves money and time during a busy day. Allows a little more budget for dinner in the evening.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,778 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Dinner at Bofiner in the Marais area with its unique ceiling and charming interior:

BofinerDinner.jpg

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there. Lots of markets, dining places, etc., along this street.:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

Inside the d’Orsay Museum with post-1850’s art, an old train station was converted to housing treasures, including from Monet, van Gogh, Renoir, etc.:

ParDOrsyInside.jpg

At the wonderful small and charming Rodin Museum, his studio/home and the grounds are filled with his sculpture. Here’s some folks looking at the key parts to one of his famed pieces:

ParRodinGuys.jpg

In the historic Marais area, here are some of the many interesting doors.:

ParDoorsMarais.jpg

This is one scenic part of the large park grounds around Luxembourg Palace:

ParLuxGardens.jpg

How did you find staying by the Eiffel Tower? We've booked an apartment in the 7th after staying at the Westin our last two trips

We loved staying in the 7th. We were in the Rue Cler area which is a charming array of local cafes, bakeries, produce and cheese markets. Sidewalk stands of croissants, crepes, etc...Nothing more authentic than this. Alot of locals live, shop and eat here. We were about a 10 minute walk to the eiffel and about a 10 min walk to the metro.

The Britannique could not have been a better choice for us. It was about a 15-minute walk in one direction to the Louvre and 10 minutes in another direction to Notre Dame. (I like this area better than the Eiffel Tower/Champs Elysees area as a place to stay.) The best part was the proximity to the Marais where you'll find lots of great little restaurants and funky, original shops. And the Chatelet station was a short half-block away.

While the hotel breakfast was good, it's pricey at 14 euros pp. We did it a couple of times but also enjoyed a bakery around the corner for a lighter breakfast, where you could sit down with a cafe and a croissant or brioche. (With your back to the hotel entrance, turn right, then right again at the corner.)

We did not have much luck finding a grocery or take-away place right in the vicinity of the hotel, but since we were out and about all day, we would just pick up stuff as we went.

There's a cafe that's catacorner to the hotel, Cafe Zimmer, which we found very good for dinner if you want someplace close by.

Thanks again. Our rate included the breakfast at half price so i think that is a good value. But i agree, those baguettes at the bakeries loaded with goodies are incredible and plan on partaking in those too! :)

I love this thread. We will be in Paris 2 days prior to our Paris/Normandy Riverboat Cruise.

Is there such a property that is a boutique hotel, serves breakfast and within walking distance (thirty minute walk) to both the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower? I am not familiar at all with Paris, I have never visited. Want a place within walking distance to the river also. Is this too much to ask?;)

I love this thread. We will be in Paris 2 days prior to our Paris/Normandy Riverboat Cruise.

Is there such a property that is a boutique hotel, serves breakfast and within walking distance (thirty minute walk) to both the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower? I am not familiar at all with Paris, I have never visited. Want a place within walking distance to the river also. Is this too much to ask?;)

I agree and love this thread also. My young son (10) when we cruise the Med, and I will be in Paris for 3 days pre cruise. I'm interested in your same question. Also wondering if there is anything nice and clean (small is fine) in the $200-$225 USD range per night in October. Even less is good, but hoping I can stay in this range. Many of the hotels posted here are a bit higher than I wanted to spend for myself and a child, but I also want to make sure we are in a safe area and walkable to lots of places.

You'll just have to do some looking to find the right hotel for you. Look at a map and study the areas. There are numbers of boutique hotels that are well located to the central sites. However, be aware that the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower are quite a distance apart. It might be better to pick one area or another (based on the neighborhood at night, availability of restaurants, and proximity to the Metro) rather than trying to straddle the two.

Some websites, like Venere.com, will let you search by area.

The Metro is incredibly easy to navigate and safe (as always, watch for pickpockets as anywhere). If you stay nearer the Louvre and Notre Dame, as we did, you can be at the Eiffel Tower metro stop within 10 minutes and the Tower itself it about another 10 minutes walk from the Metro.

My sister and BIL stayed in a studio in St. Germain de Pres and really liked the area a lot.

Also, do NOT rely on hotel websites' descriptions of their location. They will always tell you they are "centrally" located or "very near" such-and-such, but this is quite often a loose interpretation. Google map the actual locations so you'll know what you're getting.

I love this thread. We will be in Paris 2 days prior to our Paris/Normandy Riverboat Cruise. Is there such a property that is a boutique hotel, serves breakfast and within walking distance (thirty minute walk) to both the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower? I am not familiar at all with Paris, I have never visited. Want a place within walking distance to the river also. Is this too much to ask?

Glad you like this thread. Below is lots more.

Cynthia has offered more wise comments, including to be aware of self-serving but misleading location claims. Also, the Metro is very, very good with its frequent service, etc. Use Google or Bing maps (including the bird's eye view) to check out each location options, how close each option would be to the better Metro stations and lines, etc. Personally, I would not try to be that near to the Eiffel Tower. That area is at some distance from many of the other much more charming areas and superstar attractions in Paris.

Being closer to the areas of the Louvre, d'Orsay, Left Bank, Marais, etc., can be more of an advantage to be closest to the areas best for walking around, having cute local shops, places to eat, etc.

Here are some other links to check and use for apartments, B&B that we have used in the past.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe

http://www.parisbandb.com

In Paris, location is very, very important. Why waste time in a marginal location that is not very time-efficient?

Here are some other notes, ideas, options, background to consider:

Louvre (closed Tuesday, open 9-6, Monday and Wednesday until 9:45 p.m.) with Cafe Louvre on site for lunch or dinner (and break or rest), plus food court area with wide mix of different items. This museums’s encyclopedic coverage is divided into seven departments covering ancient times to middle of 19th century; Pyramid entrance designed by I. M. Pei, opened in 1989; very big and can spend four days there and still not see everything; Denon (south) Wing on first floor has many of the key European paintings; Richelieu (north) Wing opened in 1993 and has large, covered sculpture courtyard in its middle; Sully Wing (east) has mostly Egyptian and other antiquities. Over eight million visited the Louvre in 2006. It’s very popular! From this website (http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp?bmLocale=en), you can get more detailed information about its collection exhibits, facilities, etc.

Musee d'Orsay (door-say) (closed Monday, open 10-6, except Thursday 10 am-9:45 pm), covers 1848-1914 period and is especially great for Impressionist art. It is a former railway station and hotel with an excellent cafe in museum (doing lunch in this spectacular dining room is a nice way to break up the visit, re-charge and get nice food service). This dining area is a magnificent space defined by enormous windows, lighted by crystal chandeliers with gilded decoration bringing out the radiance of the sculpted ceilings. Thursday night is perfect for walk from museum west toward Assemblee Nationale and cross Seine River bridge towards Place de la Concorde seeing all of the building lighted and then looking back towards Eiffel Tower; Place de la Concorde was designed in 1775. From this website (http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en), you can get more detailed information.

Notre Dame and Palais de Justice on island of Seine River at site of Paris' start; Notre Dame completed during the 1163-1345 period, tours 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; famous southern Rose Windows, climb up 380 steps of the tower for the best views of the city; Sunday night 5:30 p.m. organ concerts; famous Rose stained glass windows; Sainte Chapelle near Palais de Justice is 700 years old with outstanding stained glass windows; La Conciergerie is prison where many, including Marie Antoinette were held prior to being guillotined, is well-light at night with its unique architecture, functioned as prison from 1391 to 1914. Cathedral is open every day of the year from 8:00 am to 6:45 pm (7:15 pm on Saturdays and Sundays). Web site: http://www.cathedraledeparis.com.

Champs-Elysees and Arc de Triomphe, started 1806 to celebrate Napoleon's early victories, completed in 1836, 165' high and is the world's largest triumphal arch. It is at the center of a star-shaped configuration of 12 radiating avenues, including the Champs Elysées. The Arc de Triomphe offers a vista seen the length of the Champs Elysées from the smaller Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel in the Tuileries Gardens and from the Obélisque de Luxor in the Place de la Concorde. Since 1920, the tomb of France's Unknown Soldier has been sheltered underneath the arch and this site has an eternal flame for World War I & II fallen soldiers. There are stairs climbing to the top of the Arc de Triomphe with great views over the city from this vantage point. Website: http://www.arc-de-triomphe.monuments-nationaux.fr

Eiffel Tower, (985' tall, 3rd floor at 305', built for 1889 Universal Exhibition). The vistas are magnificent and breathtaking from the topmost platform, especially one hour before sunset. Built in commemoration of the centenary of the French Revolution, weighing 7,000 tons, it was the world's tallest building until 1930. Nearly demolished in 1909 at the expiration of its 20-year lease, the Tower gained new utility as a perch for broadcast antennae and was saved. The Eiffel Tower is open every day all year long, 
from 9:30 am to 11:00 pm, January 1 to June 12 and September 1 to December 31
- from 9:00 am to midnight, June 13 to August 31. Web site: http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk

Plus, below, a little more "eye candy" that is possible to see and experience in this great city from my picture collection.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,893 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Eiffel Tower with a statute in the foreground. This picture is from the Trocadéro, site of the Palais de Chaillot, that provides a great view of the Eiffel Tower and these scenic parts of Paris.:

EilfelStatue.jpg

In Paris, along the Seine, this is a view of the Louvre from the d’Orsay Museum:

ParRiverLouvre.jpg

Looking at Notre Dame, this angle shows the flying buttresses supporting the walls:

ParNtDmFlyingBt.jpg

One of Paris’ most historic and spectacular dining rooms is at Le Grande Colbert. It is near the Palais Royale gardens. Part of the Jack Nicholson-Diane Keaton film "Something's Gotta Give” was filmed there. It is named for Louis XIV’s famed minister.:

ParisColbertRest.jpg

Inside the Louvre, this is one of the enclosed courtyards filled with sculpture:

ParLourveInside.jpg

Here is more from the small and charming Rodin Museum that features his studio/home and the grounds that are filled with his sculpture:

RodinMusMainHse.jpg