Paris - 3.5 Days Pre Cruise

hubofhockey

Just saw this. Yes, the whole family is doing Blue Bikes for Versailles and my son and I are doing the Blue Bikes Paris city ride. The Versailles ride looks great. Can't wait. I bought a GoPro and now need to figure out how to use it.

I didn't start a new thread yet, but will post about the bike tours. I wish we had a forum on Cruise Critic for bike tours. We're bringing our kids this time around and staying four nights. With the four of us, an apartment made sense and we stayed on the right bank last time and now on the left bank near Eiffel Tower.

We're not doing a cruise this year, so a week with three days in London and four in Paris is our family vacation. Back to cruising next year.

Sounds like so much fun!

We decided to get the King's Private Apartment Tour for Versailles and that starts at 9:30 in the morning. I think the Palace will be packed by the time we are finished with the tour. We would like to tour the rest of the grounds also. I think I can rent bikes there and do it on our own. I would rather do it with the bike tour but we really wanted the private tour.

We are going with Bike About Tours for a day in Paris because their time frame fit us better.

Definitely figure out your GoPro before you go. We had one in Disneyworld and were clueless! Haha!

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like so much fun!

We decided to get the King's Private Apartment Tour for Versailles and that starts at 9:30 in the morning. I think the Palace will be packed by the time we are finished with the tour. We would like to tour the rest of the grounds also. I think I can rent bikes there and do it on our own. I would rather do it with the bike tour but we really wanted the private tour.

We are going with Bike About Tours for a day in Paris because their time frame fit us better.

Definitely figure out your GoPro before you go. We had one in Disneyworld and were clueless! Haha!

Well, I've go four weeks to figure the GoPro out. This will be the week. ;)

I understand wanting a private tour in Versailles. The bike tour guides cannot provide that. I will say that the head sets are pretty good and provide good commentary on each room. The people at Blue Bikes told me that the palace should be quiet by the time we tour late in the afternoon. I'll definitely review the bike tours here.

hubofhockey,

have been in touch with david - he is so great

at responding to my emails & ??s

he is selling the eiffel tower apt sometime in 2016

but in 2017 we might stay in the rue cler for us &

the champs de mars for the other 4 - they are near

each other in the heart of rue cler

thanks again !! have a marvelous trip !! ann & jim

hubofhockey,

have been in touch with david - he is so great

at responding to my emails & ??s

he is selling the eiffel tower apt sometime in 2016

but in 2017 we might stay in the rue cler for us &

the champs de mars for the other 4 - they are near

each other in the heart of rue cler

thanks again !! have a marvelous trip !! ann & jim

Thanks Ann and Jim. You're going in 2016. Right?

It sounds like you have a good plan set. Glad to hear. We plan on spending time in Rue Cler for shopping and dinner.

Interesting that David is selling the Eiffel Tower apartment. I'm sure everyone in my family has their own photo op in mind on that terrace. :cool: Can't wait. I will post photos here from the bike tours and apartment.

Len

Edited by hubofhockey

Thanks Ann and Jim. You're going in 2016. Right?

It sounds like you have a good plan set. Glad to hear. We plan on spending time in Rue Cler for shopping and dinner.

Interesting that David is selling the Eiffel Tower apartment. I'm sure everyone in my family has their own photo op in mind on that terrace. :cool: Can't wait. I will post photos here from the bike tours and apartment.

Len

len, don't think we can make it till 2017 so

will just have to enjoy your photos of the apt

unless the apt doesn't sell in 2016;)

but i think we'll enjoy the rue cler & champs de mars ones !:)

bet you are excited for your upcoming trip !!

ann & jim

• 1 month later...

I haven't had time to post on our trip to London & Paris.

Started off poorly because Icelandair plane was missing a part and they couldn't get us out until 20 hour later on British Airways direct. Ouch!!! Lost a day in London. Had a great time there and Doubletree King suite with the included breakfasts on the Exec lounge and drinks before dinner was great. Highly recommend. Also did London Eye, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Thames River cruise, and saw a show. Squeezed a lot into a couple of days and it rained a day. I would have spent the entire week in Paris though.

I'll start off with the bad stuff first. Blue Bikes Tour has a lousy cancellation policy (you can see my review on TripAdvisor, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d2626587-r311497413-Blue_Bike_Tours-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#REVIEWS

The city ride was fine, but did not even go past Arc de Trimophe.

Because it was pouring, we switched our Versailles day later in the week and did museums and shopping on the rainy day. I think you need to flexible on vacation.

Loved the apartment and staying on the right bank with that incredible view of the Eiffel Tower. They blink the lights on it to an amazing light show on the hour at 10, 11, 12, and maybe 1 (not sure about 1). We were also a 12 minute walk to Rue Cler and picked up dinner to go and baguettes and cheese and wine to have on our balcony. We had a great time in Paris. It's probably my favorite city and we'll be back again at some point. My preference would be to combine with Amsterdam, another city I love and skip London. Next up for us is 11 days in Israel. Next cruise is Azamara in 2017 14 days Amalfi Coast & Greek Islands.

I haven't had time to post on our trip to London & Paris.

Started off poorly because Icelandair plane was missing a part and they couldn't get us out until 20 hour later on British Airways direct. Ouch!!! Lost a day in London. Had a great time there and Doubletree King suite with the included breakfasts on the Exec lounge and drinks before dinner was great. Highly recommend. Also did London Eye, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Thames River cruise, and saw a show. Squeezed a lot into a couple of days and it rained a day. I would have spent the entire week in Paris though.

I'll start off with the bad stuff first. Blue Bikes Tour has a lousy cancellation policy (you can see my review on TripAdvisor, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d2626587-r311497413-Blue_Bike_Tours-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#REVIEWS

The city ride was fine, but did not even go past Arc de Trimophe.

Because it was pouring, we switched our Versailles day later in the week and did museums and shopping on the rainy day. I think you need to flexible on vacation.

Loved the apartment and staying on the right bank with that incredible view of the Eiffel Tower. They blink the lights on it to an amazing light show on the hour at 10, 11, 12, and maybe 1 (not sure about 1). We were also a 12 minute walk to Rue Cler and picked up dinner to go and baguettes and cheese and wine to have on our balcony. We had a great time in Paris. It's probably my favorite city and we'll be back again at some point. My preference would be to combine with Amsterdam, another city I love and skip London. Next up for us is 11 days in Israel. Next cruise is Azamara in 2017 14 days Amalfi Coast & Greek Islands.

Sounds like you had a great trip despite the hiccups. Love your positive attitude.