Paris - 3.5 Days Pre Cruise

hubofhockey

Try to save half a day for Versailles.

I did like this idea in your review. I didn't know it was so close to Paris, and honestly I know nothing about Versailles. I keep reading about the gardens but is there anything else or is that enough?

I did like this idea in your review. I didn't know it was so close to Paris, and honestly I know nothing about Versailles. I keep reading about the gardens but is there anything else or is that enough?

Versailles was the highlight of our trip years ago. We actually stayed there for 5 days. Really got to know the town. Can't wait to bring the kids there next year.

Versailles was the highlight of our trip years ago. We actually stayed there for 5 days. Really got to know the town. Can't wait to bring the kids there next year.

My kids will be 17 & 15 when we go back in 2015 (they weren't with us last summer) and I won't mind seeing it again. I think Versailles is important to see because kids (adults too!!) will get a good feel for the opulence of Louis XIV and XVI that led to the French Revolution. It's also beautiful. I'd include it any three day visit to Paris.

Thinking about how to get from CDG airport to the hotel, and with your rave reviews am seriously considering the Gramont Opera Hotel. We will be a group of 6 adults, with me leading the pack! It will be worth spending the extra $$$ for convenience and ease of getting around the city, especially having the hotel staff so helpful with the metro.

Is there a shuttle/van that can accommodate a group of 6 with lots of luggage? My group will not handle hauling luggage on/off the train.

Thinking about how to get from CDG airport to the hotel, and with your rave reviews am seriously considering the Gramont Opera Hotel. We will be a group of 6 adults, with me leading the pack! It will be worth spending the extra $$$ for convenience and ease of getting around the city, especially having the hotel staff so helpful with the metro.

Is there a shuttle/van that can accommodate a group of 6 with lots of luggage? My group will not handle hauling luggage on/off the train.

The Gramont Opera Hotel actually has an arrangement with a shuttle service. It may be 18 euros per person. But you might be better off doing a search for a car service that will have a driver and van ready to pick you up.

We read about the Gramont after exhaustive searches in Trip Advisor and the reviews about the location and the staff helping us out every time we were going somewhere and helping us plan out our days with Metro maps and detailing our routes and any connections. We enjoyed being on the Right Bank and near the center of the city. You can also walk to the Opera area, the Louvre, Orsay, Marais. It's just a great location. The rooms are on the small side, reminding me of being in NYC. But the rooms are nice. We'll be back there in two summers.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much hubofhockey and terryinohio and others for all the Paris info. I was finishing my Norway planning (Terry's posts were also wonderful) and i just started looking for info to plan my five days in Paris (including Versailles). Cruise Critic members are a real gift.

Thank you so much hubofhockey and terryinohio and others for all the Paris info. I was finishing my Norway planning (Terry's posts were also wonderful) and i just started looking for info to plan my five days in Paris (including Versailles). Cruise Critic members are a real gift.

Glad to help. You'll have a great time. We love Paris so much that we're now determined to spend our three days post Baltics cruise there next summer. Can't wait. :cool:

We will be there Sunday! Strike? I have my tour. I guess I will find out on Sunday if they are still on strike. Hopefully it will be settled. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning 4 days precruise in Paris and am trying to get a budget for meals. It has been 10 years since DH and I were there.

Meal Plan:

We plan to stay with croisants, cafe, chocolate, juice, etc. for breakfast (5-8 euros), a sandwich or blueplate for lunch (10 euros) and a low priced bistro in the evening (15-20 euros). Is this a reasonable budget? We have DM with us on this trip and she does not want to spend a lot of money on eating.

I am planning 4 days precruise in Paris and am trying to get a budget for meals. It has been 10 years since DH and I were there.

Meal Plan:

We plan to stay with croisants, cafe, chocolate, juice, etc. for breakfast (5-8 euros), a sandwich or blueplate for lunch (10 euros) and a low priced bistro in the evening (15-20 euros). Is this a reasonable budget? We have DM with us on this trip and she does not want to spend a lot of money on eating.

I think the dinners at 15 t0 20 euros could be the toughest. You might be looking more at casual restaurants than bistros. We saw a bunch of casual places in Montmartre with prices in that range. Try L'Ange 20 (you will need reservations ahead of time). You can certainly get a great meal there for around 30 euros and they do everything real well. It would be a shame to go to Paris and not have one really good bistro meal.

I think the dinners at 15 t0 20 euros could be the toughest. You might be looking more at casual restaurants than bistros. We saw a bunch of casual places in Montmartre with prices in that range. Try L'Ange 20 (you will need reservations ahead of time). You can certainly get a great meal there for around 30 euros and they do everything real well. It would be a shame to go to Paris and not have one really good bistro meal.

Thanks, L'Ange 20 looks very good. According to trip advisor dinner runs around $28 - $35 - So would you say a more realistic dinner budget is 20- 30 euros for dinner? We will be staying in the Hotel Prince Eugene in the 11th so most restaurants should be easy by metro. thanks so much for your insight.

We just returned from a week in Paris with our 12 year-old granddaughter. Eating was very expensive! We rented an apartment so we had breakfast in, saving a little there. 25-30 Euro pp for dinner will be difficult. I would check out restaurants near your hotel since you're not staying in a prime tourist area. You may not want to get back on the metro after a long day of touring. Another possibility would be to pick up some prepared food on your way back to the hotel and eat in your room. That would keep you within you budget.

We just returned from a week in Paris with our 12 year-old granddaughter. Eating was very expensive! We rented an apartment so we had breakfast in, saving a little there. 25-30 Euro pp for dinner will be difficult. I would check out restaurants near your hotel since you're not staying in a prime tourist area. You may not want to get back on the metro after a long day of touring. Another possibility would be to pick up some prepared food on your way back to the hotel and eat in your room. That would keep you within you budget.

Thanks Riverroad - we are leaving open the possibility that we can eat in whatever area we find ourselves at dinner time and then return to the hotel. We are very comfortable with the metro. I am also hoping that we can find some reasonble restaurants around our hotel.

I think I will budget around 30 euros for dinner - since we will be paying for all meals on one ticket, Mom will never know that she has not paid her share - she is always considerate that she carries her weight, but since we are not retired I prefer the burden on us.

And we were able to get a reservation at L-Ange 20 so I am looking forward to the meal.

Thanks, L'Ange 20 looks very good. According to trip advisor dinner runs around $28 - $35 - So would you say a more realistic dinner budget is 20- 30 euros for dinner? We will be staying in the Hotel Prince Eugene in the 11th so most restaurants should be easy by metro. thanks so much for your insight.

Have one dinner in Montmartre. There are less expensive restaurants there. I would do that after a Montmartre walking tour. Great part of Paris. Enjoy L'Ange 20. Great food, fun, and drink. It's in the Marais, another great location for touring.

Hi everyone. We will be in Paris for the first time in early November for a pre-cruise and need help to point us in the right direction for choosing a hotel.

We will be taking the Air France shuttle bus and from what I have read will end in either Gare Montparnasse or Place de l'Etoile. We arrive at CDG and leave from ORY. Older historic 2 or 3 star hotels are more our style, of course we want it to be clean and safe.

Are we right in our research so far? Thanks to our CC family for your help. If it's against CC rules to name certain hotels, just letting us know if we are correct in choosing either of these areas.

Hi everyone. We will be in Paris for the first time in early November for a pre-cruise and need help to point us in the right direction for choosing a hotel.

We will be taking the Air France shuttle bus and from what I have read will end in either Gare Montparnasse or Place de l'Etoile. We arrive at CDG and leave from ORY. Older historic 2 or 3 star hotels are more our style, of course we want it to be clean and safe.

Are we right in our research so far? Thanks to our CC family for your help. If it's against CC rules to name certain hotels, just letting us know if we are correct in choosing either of these areas.

I would look around L'Etoile. Better location and area.

hubofhockey - good suggestion - DH and I toured Montmartre on our own years ago and enjoyed the area. Any suggestions on afternoon walking tours that could end up around dinner time?

Sure, contact Sightseekersdelight.com. They start near the Moulin Rouge, work up to the Sacre Couer and then back down. They start around 5:00 pm.