Coming Soon: The next generation of cruise ships

fan3car

I found an interesting article written about changes that are coming to cruise ships. I post it here on the Carnival board because it talks about the Carnival Sunshine refit, but the article also talks about some of the other cruise lines. What do you think?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/08/06/coming-soon-next-generation-cruise-ships/?intcmp=features

I find the neighborhood concept to be interesting in that it is simply a food court area such as is planned on the Royal Princess with the "Piazza Atrium". One are where one could get Pizza, Gelato, International coffee, a wine bar, and some Italian style restaurants. I'd love to see something like this go "German" and be a Fest type environment with German food, beer pretzels, fest chickens, radishes, maybe even a bakery.

The whole "neighborhoods" concept is what makes Royal Caribbean's Oasis twins work so well. It doesn't feel like you're in a ship with 6,000 passengers since everybody is spread out throughout the ship in their own little neighborhood. Very rarely are large groups of people congregated in one venue (excepft for main theatrical productions. Even the MDR feels like several smaller venues).

Think of it as several small ships tied together instead of one massive ship.

The concept described in the article sounds great in theory. Let's see how well it works in reality

Probably will follow the airlines lead.

Want to get on board faster, pay.

Want to get Gelato in the neighborhood, pay.

Want more than one piece of Luggage, pay.

Want luggage on board, $50 please.

Want a burger, pay.

MDR becomes Buffet. Or pay for sit down meals.

Pay, Pay, Pay.

Pay, Pay, Pay.

Hate to be the bearer of the bad news but its already being done:

• Want to get on board faster, pay.

Carnival has been offering priority embarkation to those passengers willing to pay extra for higher categories (suites) for as long as I can remember. Other cruise lines like Celebrity now offer "Concierge Class" which are basically the same standard balcony staterooms, but with added perks like priority embarkation for those willing to pay extra.

• Want to get Gelato in the neighborhood, pay

Already been done on several cruise lines, including Carnival (Cafe on the Way). Other cruise lines like Royal have even partnered up with Ben and Jerry's.

• Want a burger, pay.

Once again, already being done. Royal has Johnny Rockets and people gladly pay to eat there. I wouldn't be surprised if Guy's Burgers becomes a "for fee" venue as well. When Carnival started brainstorming with the concept, they had originally looked at "for fee" burger joints.

• MDR becomes Buffet. Or pay for sit down meals.

Several European cruise lines do offer a buffet setup at the MDR for breakfast and lunch. It's not far fetched to think that the American cruise lines could follow suit to alleviate some of the congestion, specially with the concept described in the article where venues will become multi-purpose.

As far as paying for dinner, apparently it's a "catchy" concept since cruise lines keep adding more and more "for fee" venues and the MDR's keep getting smaller. Carnival started with the Steakhouse, and now they've added a few more on the Breeze and Magic. I bet that more will come. NCL and RCI have been offering multiple dining venues for a fee for a long time, and they just keep adding. On the Oasis/Allure of the Seas, half of their 24 dining venues are "for fee"!

MDR meals are fine, buffet is fine...I scrimp and save for 2 years to cruise, love it that it is nearly all inclusive. The day I pay to upgrade my food on a cruise is the day I need to stop cruising. I know some folks like specialty restaurants, chef's table etc.. but for us. Paying more for something FREE just means waiting longer to cruise again.

All this and I LOVE food. We eat well at home and cook many international meals weekly. Fresh seafood being a main staple. We grab a restaurant meal about once mabye twice a month? So eating on a cruise is great. Ports are where we splurge a bit on local delicacies.

Last cruise dining on turtle, stewed cowsfoot, gibnut and drinking guifidi were highlights for us.

Nickel and dimeing on a cruise wont happen if I can help it.

But to those who can afford it and don't mind having a S&S bill over 100 bucks, or some over 500 or more!!! Go for it. A cruise should have something for all.

Want a burger, pay.

Pay, Pay, Pay.

That would seriously suck

Want a burger, pay.

Pay, Pay, Pay.

I'd just as soon pay a price for the cruise that covers the charges. I don't like to be constantly paying for this and that. The airlines almost make travel unbearable anymore.

I would actually be a happy camper if Carnival would offer some sort of pay-for-priority embark/debark program. I would probably pay a maximum of $20 per person for something like this.

They do and its FREE......once you become Platinum

I found an interesting article written about changes that are coming to cruise ships. I post it here on the Carnival board because it talks about the Carnival Sunshine refit, but the article also talks about some of the other cruise lines. What do you think?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/08/06/coming-soon-next-generation-cruise-ships/?intcmp=features

Sounds like Royal is taking the shopping mall at sea concept to the next level.

The day I pay to upgrade my food on a cruise is the day I need to stop cruising.

Exactly. It doesn't matter whether or not I can afford it. I paid for an all-inclusive cruise, and that's exactly what I plan on getting. With the obvious exception of gratuities and excursions, and a very rare drink or photo or such, I have absolutely no intention of paying for anything else once I'm on board.

Plus, I like the concept of MDR. I want to sit at a table in a nice restaurant, not wonder around a "neighborhood" a-la food court style and likely have to wait in line to get a burger, then to get a drink, then to get dessert. No thanks.

Sounds like lots of positves and answering critics.

It's true RCCL has all of this on the Oasis...Returning to Oasis again for next year.

It really is a cruise ship experience that needs no ports of call.

Still enjoy Carnival, but...it's a big cruise world out there people!

Mike

I would actually be a happy camper if Carnival would offer some sort of pay-for-priority embark/debark program. I would probably pay a maximum of $20 per person for something like this.

I know this is "far fetched" but if most people on the ship took advantage of this then this "perk" wouldnt be any better then if you board in the regular way due to the extra crowds of people with same Priority boarding.

If there were 2000 people on a ship and 1200 of them had Priority boarding what good would it be?? I know that all 2000 of them wont be at the port at 11:00 but the majority will be.

I know this is "far fetched" but if most people on the ship took advantage of this then this "perk" wouldnt be any better then if you board in the regular way due to the extra crowds of people with same Priority boarding.

If there were 2000 people on a ship and 1200 of them had Priority boarding what good would it be?? I know that all 2000 of them wont be at the port at 11:00 but the majority will be.

It would make them like Disney. :p

Pay, Pay, Pay.

Thanks Mapsmith:

Less than 24 hours after you posted this, Carnival comes up with the brilliant idea of "Faster to the Fun" with priority boarding and luggage delivery for a fee.

Brilliant. Juuuuust Brilliant! ;)

Ah, but the half that are free are terrific!

Kathy

Yes, we actually enjoyed the free venues more than the "for fee" venues. In fact, the only venue that we considered worth the extra money was Giovanni's.

Archived