St Johns Nf Excursion Recommendations

Did you check your roll call as I suggested on one of the other threads you started? That would be a good place to check.

For additional information on Canada ports go to the Canada ports board. You might want to check the Northern Europe & Baltics ports board for an answer to your question about the Rykevik 4x4 tour.

Lew

There is an information kiosk at the pier and tourism officials there who can help with your desire to book a tour. There will be many cabs and vans parked just outside the dock area and they will be more than willing to take you to whatever you want to see. In the past we have picked up a tour after getting off the ship and been taken to Signal Hill, Cape Spear and other sites in and around St. John's.

The previous notes are correct. You will sail by Signal Hill as you come in through "the Narrows" into the harbour. If you can be outside as you sail in...the harbour entrance is unique in that you cold almost sail by and miss the city completely. The Narrows has been widened to accommodate cruise ships.

The city is adjacent to the pier..less than 5 minutes walk. There are lots of little shops and some super fine food on Water St and Duckworth Street.

If you are more active I could suggest some options as well. Let me know and I will check back.

People here are more friendly than most and are very proud of our home. Ask on the street and anyone will help you. You are entering a vibrant working city and it will be locals you will find downtown, more than tourists. On the right day you just might find me:)

Mollytoo

First stop might be a cab to Cape Spear. It is the most easterly point in North America. After s short visit there get the cabbie to drop you half way up Signal Hill to the Interpretation Centre. You can learn a bit about the history of England and France who fought over this island for centuries then cross the road to the Geo Centre. There you go down underground to a geological exhibit and a small Titanic exhibit. Walk the rest of the way up the hill to Cabot Tower and learn about Marconi who received the first Transatlantic wireless signal here. There is a trail that leads down the seaward side of the hill that will take you down and out through the Battery which is a fishing village clinging to the rocks of the harbour. That walk brings you back to the eastern edge of downtown. If you are faint of heart or not a big walker take the road down the hill. You will end up in the same place. Devon House is an artisan owned craft shop just west of the bottom of Signal Hill with outstanding quality of Newfoundland crafts. Continue up the hill a little to your right and walk about 20 minutes up Military Rd to " The Rooms" There is an excellent cafe there. This building houses our national art gallery, museum and archives.

An alternative lunch spot is in Soloman's Lane which runs between Water St and Duckworth. The "Duke of Duckworth" is a pub with the best fish and chips anywhere. If you are here is September I can pretty much guarantee that your fish was swimming yesterday. You will think you are in England.

Other food recommendations would include Velma's on Water St that offers all of the local dishes; The Rocket bakery on Water...fun, funky and often good trad music at lunch time; Yellowbelly Brewery, a restaurant and brew pub also on Water.

Any of that would give you a highlights tour of the city and give you a flavour of what we are about.

There is also good sea kayaking south of the city. Let me know if you need to know anything else about that.

Hope that helps,

Mollytoo

http://www.wildnfld.ca/

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/PlacesToGo/SignalHillNationalHistoricSite

http://www.therooms.ca/

How about renting a car?

Seems that the scenary around coast would be spectacular?

FRANK

Yes, the scenery is very beautiful; more rugged that most parts of the east coast. You could rent a car and I'm pretty sure the agencies would arrange for pick up or delivery at the pier. Bring your GPS.

Molly

Did you look at the tourism Newfoundland web site? There are little videos of the TV ads they run and it gives a good idea of what it is like.

wwwdotnewfoundlandandlabradordotcom

Yes, the scenery is very beautiful; more rugged that most parts of the east coast. You could rent a car and I'm pretty sure the agencies would arrange for pick up or delivery at the pier. Bring your GPS.

Molly

Did you look at the tourism Newfoundland web site? There are little videos of the TV ads they run and it gives a good idea of what it is like.

wwwdotnewfoundlandandlabradordotcom

Just watched one of the videos. They have a couple of new ones there and my old house in actually in one of them! Pretty cool. I will say that the videos cover the whole province and you wouldn't be able to see lots of it but the pictures with the colourful houses are all St. John's.

Archived