CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

While I certainly respect your opinion, mine is just the opposite. I don't mind at all the prepaid tips, we just give extra tips to the employees that have been extra helpful at the end of the cruise. I figure if we can afford to cruise, I can certainly afford a couple of hundred dollars for the hard working employees.

yup.

once carnival started taking my tip money and channeled it to pay for salary inceases for staff members that are not in the service industry, no more "convenient" auto tipping for me.

i will be paying cash directly to the staff assigned to me, who will say thank you when i hand it to them.

And I'm somewhere in the middle.

I can certainly afford a hundred bucks to tip the staff. I figure tips into the cost of cruising and until the way tipping is done is changed, I'll go with the flow(Except that $2 dollars for persons unknown in guest services which will be returned to my steward and dining room staff). With that said, I also agree with tommycanuck to a point. Tipping should be in recognition for a job well done. It should not be counted as salary.

I understand that cruise prices would rise if Carnival had to pay a reasonable wage, but I think in the end, we would all receive better service.

Passangers pay 100% of staff salary no matter how you slice it.

I wonder what minor slight you are going to use as an excuse not to tip at all.

If you believe 100% of the auto tips are going to the staff then I've got a ponzi scheme to talk to you about. Guarantee a lot of that money is finding its way to CCL's general expense accounts. I'd much rather tip cash and put it right where it belongs...in the hands of those staff who go above and beyond to make my holiday enjoyable.

I love the convenience of auto-tips, and of pre-paying the gratuities! Well worth it to me, and I will continue to use this option for every cruise, knowing I can always adjust them up or down if warranted.

Passangers pay 100% of staff salary no matter how you slice it.

I wonder what minor slight you are going to use as an excuse not to tip at all.

yes, but how much longer are we going to accept the adverts up top that say cruise for as little as $299, or .... $499?

um, sorry, but you can't do that, unless you have a 0 ballance on your sail and sign account, which includes removing tips.

hell, tax and fees add more than $200 alone.

make cruises free, and pay as you go, why don't you?

Yup.

They'd raise the cruise fares.

:rolleyes:

And then taxes will go up because they are tied into the cruise fare.

If you believe 100% of the auto tips are going to the staff then I've got a ponzi scheme to talk to you about. Guarantee a lot of that money is finding its way to CCL's general expense accounts. I'd much rather tip cash and put it right where it belongs...in the hands of those staff who go above and beyond to make my holiday enjoyable.

I look at the autograts as no different than tipping out a waitress at a restaurant. The waitress then tips out the people who help her.

Thank you for giving my blood something else to boil about. Takes my mind off of the two 4.5 tremors we have felt in the past 12 hours. Think they will grow larger then they stop.

I assume most of us are Americans wishing and participating in nice cruise vacations. Most of us would simply not stand for the work conditions imposed on cruise employees. Less than min wages, work weeks that are weeks and way in excess of any kind of reasonable hours. Yes i understand that in most cases this is more than they can expect in thier respective 3rd world homes but are we really so jaded as to believe some how they are worth less. While I personaly would never not tip I can certainly understand the posters stance of not contibuting to the problem and forcing the cruise lines to pay a realistic compensation. Companies should never be allowed to succeed at the expense of their employees. And to those who would argue please review your history, unions in America raised the standard for all of us love em or hate em. Poverty sucks and we should demand that the companies that do business in, or for us Americans should abide by all of the economic, health and welfare statutes we enjoy and sometimes endure. So if that means I have to pay more to enjoy my vacations " guilt free " so be it.

used to be 100% of your tips went to your dining staff and youe room steward.

now, with autotip, only 82.6% goes to them.

if you pay in cash, it's still 100%

I remember that. But that was also when we ate three meals a day in the dining room and there weren't so many choices of dining venues that the waiters must rotate around. I think the new system is fair to those waiters who I may not come into contact with, but are working to keep the buffet running, etc.

Best,

Mia

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

Im hoping for a change.Eventually they will add the service charges and fuel surcharge too

The problem is most not all people who remove tips do it because they can (and will laugh about it on here) do it for saving money.To take the $200 or whatever off their credit card bill and do another excursion at the expense of people who make our vacation great

now, with autotip, only 82.6% goes to them.

if you pay in cash, it's still 100%

Not to be argumentative but do you have a source for that info? Curious only.

I remember that. But that was also when we ate three meals a day in the dining room and there weren't so many choices of dining venues that the waiters must rotate around. I think the new system is fair to those waiters who I may not come into contact with' date=' but are working to keep the buffet running, etc.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

tips are still for three service meals a a day, and until they started closing the mdr on port days, you could still get 3 service meals a day.

if one chooses to serve themselves elsewhere, that's their choice. but the tip "lremains".

your evening servers are still getting their tips from you through the day, but they are servings others most likely, or working in the lido restaurant. the people serving you are actually getting tipped by the people they serve in the evening.

lots of behind the scenes cross tipping coverage going on in the background.

OP, I agree with you to a point. I do think that they should just included in the cruise fare. I am not a fan of pricing models that have a base price (which is of course what they quote) and then multiple add ons until you get to the actual price, which is quite a bit higher. I think its ALMOST deceptive (notice I said almost, because they have to disclose these things, just not in the same manner). However, that said, Carnival does that and I know upfront that I do. So I just have to overlook the price on the website and look at the real price.

I also agree with those that talk about a tip being something that should be in recognition of service rendered. And if the tipping goes people that I never came in contact with (and maybe never did anything for me), how am I really doing that. Plus I am still uncomfortable with who really gets the $2 per day for other services and whether that actually goes to people. If I knew for sure that every single penny went to a staff member on the ship, even if it was someone who was polishing the brass in the engine room, it would not bother me as much, but I have my doubts.

However, despite all of my personal feeling on the above, I will leave my auto tip in place. Carnival is not going to change their policies because you, I or even all of the people on CC take off the autotips, resulting in the dishwashers, floor sweepers, and other behind the scenes people getting stiffed. They are just going to get less money. So the only people that suffer from that are them. And the $2 pp per day that I disagree with is not worth it.

Archived