Soda card vs soft drink coupons

Fireopal36

DH and I always buy the Bottomless Bubbles sticker. We found that it is more convenient to just walk up to a bar to get a soda than to trek down to our cabin to get one that we brought especially when we're watching a show or are at dinner.

If you wait and but the card on day 2 it is pro-rated and you don't get charged tax - not sure if you can buy pro-rated after day 2 but I would wait and see how long your 12 pack lasts then go from there.

Also remember hearing you can get soda in port and bring it on.. may need to clarify this.

Yes you can bring your own soda to the MDR... just get a big glass from a bar and pour it in before dinner.

You can only buy the card on day one or two. Yes you can bring on extra soda at the ports.

I wouldn't worry about carrying a can of soda into the MDR. Nobody knows one way or another where it came from. You could have bought it at one of the bars. And there will be empty glasses at your table.

• 4 weeks later...

I've searched all over and can't find the answer to this question.

If you might just want 1-3 sodas for the entire cruise, and don't want to buy soda card or lug them on with you, can you just buy one soda at a bar or in the MDR? If so, what is the cost for this one soda? Also, can you buy a bottle of water in either place? Cost of water?

Taking my sister on her 1st cruise and she's asking about these things and pretty much only drinks bottled water at home; will not drink tap water. :rolleyes: I don't know because I always just drink the free tea, coffee, lemonade, etc.

Thanks for any help with info on this.

There is no gratuity added with the soda card. It is actually a sticker that they put on your sign and sail card. I only had to flash my card at the bartender to get a soda, and they never took down my information to be able to charge a gratuity to my S&S account.

You pay $6 per day per adult... PLUS you pay a 15% tip on top of the $6 when you buy it.

Maybe you didnt realize they added it to the $6 when you got the total cost.

If you might just want 1-3 sodas for the entire cruise, and don't want to buy soda card or lug them on with you, can you just buy one soda at a bar or in the MDR? If so, what is the cost for this one soda? Also, can you buy a bottle of water in either place? Cost of water?

Taking my sister on her 1st cruise and she's asking about these things and pretty much only drinks bottled water at home; will not drink tap water. :rolleyes: I don't know because I always just drink the free tea, coffee, lemonade, etc.

Cans of soda are $1.95 +15% gratuity which comes to $2.24 a can.

You are allowed to bring 12 - 20 ounce sodas or waters on board when you get on.

I don't know what the price of the water is though.

Bill

I think if I remember correctly soda is 1.95 plus 15% grat. The water is Im not quite sure but either 3.95 or 4.95 plus 15% grat.

I like the soda card for the fact that if my soda gets warm I just go get another.....and sometimes I leave it sitting somewhere and forget to take it with me......so the coupons are wasteful for me.....and buying single cans if way too expensive. I have a few times taken a 12-pk on board so that I have some for the cabin if we are sitting on the balcony and not near a bar. Card works best for me.

I've done them both ways. My 1st Carnival cruise I bought the sticker. I just called Bon Voyage and bought it in advance. They didn't offer the resuable mugs for $5 then, so you'd just go up to the bar. They'd pour your coke into a cup and hand it to you. That's where I noticed if you were buying a coke, those people were getting the whole can!! At that time, I felt that the bar tenders weren't really the quickest at getting over to me. What a pain!!

Our 2nd cruise I bought the coupons. I actually liked this much better. My daughter got the sticker and LOVED having the freedom to go get what she wanted... she is only 12 after all. We did buy her the resuable mug and she carried that thing everywhere with her. I wanted to see how I used the coupons. When on the boat, I'd buy one for lunch. Then take them for dinner. The bar waitress would take our coupons and by the 3rd day one would be waiting for me.

It worked out fine for me. I only bought 2 of them if I remember right for a 7 day cruise. I did run out, but I think I only paid for one coke.

The tip is charged when you buy it (the sticker). There were many times I just handed over the coupon and wasn't asked to sign anything to add a tip.

I guess it all just depends on your soda drinking habits. We also brought on a case of water and a case of powerades (for the 4 of us), and we drank those more often than not because it's just so HOT.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

From what I've read and remember from past cruises: Apple and Orange juices (breakfast only maybe? Otherwise via room service);Lemonade, Iced Tea, hot tea, coffee (MDR has free cappuccino and espressos! Not usually on menu but just ask), water, milk, and hot chocolate.

I believe CC members posted several months ago that free capuccino and espresso are no longer available in the MDR. You can still get them, but they are no longer free.

Wife and I use to buy soda card and share it. But if they swiping card and looking at picture might be more difficult to share..that sucks.

The person who has the sticker will just have to get that soda for you now, not that hard to work around :D

DH and myself are big soda drinkers at home, so we each brough a 12 pack on board with us. We went home with 10 cans each. We found that the free drinks (orange juice, lemonade, iced tea, hot chocolate, etc.) gave us enough variety that we didn't want soda so much. Also, don't forget, when in port, you can buy more soda at one of the stores if you want and bring it on board. we did do this a couple of times, especially since they had Coke products made with real sugar in Mexico! It is hard to find here at home, but we love it when we can find it.

Costco carries MexiCoke in glass bottles. I've heard Sam's Club does as well, but don't know for sure.

Can someone please explain the difference between the Soda Card and the Bottomless bubbles thing.

Is the Soda Card inclusive of all drinks like Coke 7up and other branded soft drinks?

What does the bottomless bubbles include?

And on the food thing around the ship there are coffee bars and deli counters. Are the biscuits/cheesecakes/cakes/cookies free?

They were on the Celebrity cruise we done in March.

Just wondering like.

Can someone please explain the difference between the Soda Card and the Bottomless bubbles thing.

Is the Soda Card inclusive of all drinks like Coke 7up and other branded soft drinks?

What does the bottomless bubbles include?

And on the food thing around the ship there are coffee bars and deli counters. Are the biscuits/cheesecakes/cakes/cookies free?

They were on the Celebrity cruise we done in March.

Just wondering like.

From my understanding the Soda Card and Bottomless Bubbles are the same thing a sticker that gets put on your S&S card to get you endless soda.

Costco carries MexiCoke in glass bottles. I've heard Sam's Club does as well, but don't know for sure.

Unfortunately we don't have any Costco stores within a day's drive here. Sam's club does not have the glass bottle coke here either. :-( the only time we can get Coke and Pepsi products made with real sugur is during Easter/Passover. Don't know why.

I am also a huge Diet Coke with Lime fan, which is difficult is not impossible to find in a lot of areas of the country. So, I have to buy it here and take it with me when I travel.

So, I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to do this; any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

The soda card costs $6/day, but doesn't include gratuities. Does anyone know if the gratuity is based on the $6/day, or added per soft drink? (And the gratuity gets charged to the S&S card, right?) So if it's charged per drink, you pay $6 day and $0.30 per drink?

The beverage coupons are 4 for $7.75, but that includes the gratuities. (And is pre-paid, so no S&S balance).

I don't drink alcohol, but I've been trying to cut down on my soda intake. I've mostly been drinking water with crystal light, etc. I do plan on bringing a 12 pack of my fav. soda that Carnival doesn't carry (they don't have too many soda choices!) as well as Crystal Light packets. I also have an onboard credit of $25.

What's the better deal? Using OBC to get soda card, or pre-buying the coupons?

How much soda do you non-drinkers go through on a 4 day cruise?

Any other thoughts or tips? Thanks!!

Edit: Math stuffs

Drink coupons=$1.94 each, with gratuity per drink. Sold in packs of 4.

Soda card= $2.25 each, assuming the gratuity is paid per drink ($1.95 for soda +.30(15% automatic gratuity)).

Soda card= $6.9/day, assuming the gratuity is paid for the amount of the card, which is basically means you need to have 3 drinks/day to pay for the card

Your soda card is $6 per day plus 15% when you buy! So $6.90 a day approx.

Keep in mind that there is free lemonade , sweet tea, milk , chocolate milk..and juice at breakfast ..

Thanks for posting the individual purchase prices for sodas. I think my sister may just have to lug her some bottled water on; I may bring some gingerale. It's good for motion sickness, plus I like it mixed with the lemonade and sometimes even the tea! Yes, I like strange mixes! :eek:

Archived