Silversea Explorer Antartica Dec 2012

Maryland2010

Do you have specific questions? We did this trip in December 2009 and would be happy to answer any specific questions, but not sure exactly what you're looking for... Don't want to type a long missive that isn't helpful to you.

One way to get some general ideas about the cruise would be to search "Antarctica" in the Silversea forums; there were a number of threads with Q&A on the Silver Explorer about a year ago. They covered excursions, life onboard, dress, getting there, etc. Lots of good information. Browse around and see what questions come up.

A link to our review of the Antarctica cruise is in our signature below.

There is a post at the bottom of this page by Thugbuster. tittled "Antarctic Explorer November 17, 2012" (or similar).

Several cruisers from the Antarctic season of 2011-12 have shared ther experiences. This may answer some of your questions and prompt others.

Thanks for getting back. My first silversea and by myself.

First, did people visit in BA before the trip? Were there planned tours?

Second, how much time is spent on the ship and how much actual time zodiacing and on Antartica?

Activities on the ship that I should plan for?

How do I find a Rollcall for this trip to be in touch w/ other passengers?

Thanks again!

Thanks for getting back. My first silversea and by myself.

First, did people visit in BA before the trip? Were there planned tours?

Second, how much time is spent on the ship and how much actual time zodiacing and on Antartica?

Activities on the ship that I should plan for?

How do I find a Rollcall for this trip to be in touch w/ other passengers?

Thanks again!

We went into BA a day early, so we had half a day upon arrival, and then one full day, to tour on our own. I don't remember any activities planned by SS but that may have changed in the past 3 years.

If you're doing the 11-day tour, you're on the ship for 2 days crossing the Drake to Antarctica, and 2 days crossing back; you don't get off the ship at all during that time. That leaves 7 days cruising in and around the peninsula. Generally, there were 2 activities each day. Half of the ship participates at any one given time (IAATA prohibits more than 100 people from being ashore at once). The ship is divided into 4 groups, and the starting group rotates with every new excursion. So some days, you're in the early group and some days, you get a later start.

Each activity lasts about 2 hours for each group. There was a morning excursion after breakfast, and then during lunch the ship moves to the afternoon activity's spot. Afternoon tours start, then there's usually a pre-dinner briefing around 6:30-7:00. I think that on one of the days, we did three activities but that was an exception.

One of the activities was scenic cruising so in that case we didn't get off the ship. One or two other times the activity involved mostly/all zodiac riding without getting off the zodiac. You should be ready at all times of day or night - if something really good is sighted, they'll make an announcement. The itinerary can literally change in an instant, based on what's there to be seen, the weather, and even what other ships in the area are doing.

Other than meals and daily evening briefing, there isn't much else structured. There are occasional lectures - geology, weather, birds/animals, etc - they were interesting, if you weren't too exhausted to stay awake. Nighttime entertainment is limited, but that's OK - just a piano player in the bar. You don't really have time for more, and you do need to sleep at some point.

Silversea doesn't have a separate roll call section - the roll calls are mixed in with regular posts. Search using keywords "roll call explorer" and see if you can find a roll call that someone else has started. If not, start your own. Use a title that's easy to find such as "Roll Call - Silver Explorer #____, December XX, 2012, Antarctica" but don't expect too many responses. There are only a few of us Explorer diehards here on CC.

Lastly, please enjoy yourself immensely on the Explorer! It was our first SS cruise too, and we just finished #6 in June, have #7 booked, and are looking for #8. The service that you'll find on SS is addictive. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

...but on the L'Austral. I posted a full review and there are others that might be helpful as well for general information.

We love the Silver Explorer - still the PA II when we sailed on her to the Arctic in 2010 - and will be back aboard her in May. We found the Arctic packing advice right on for the Antarctic as well.

She is a wonderful ship and the Antarctic is a spectacular destination. We elected to go into Ushuaia instead of spending time in BA. We did not regret the decision and I recommend some time there pre or post cruise if you can. The B & B we stayed at (name in the review) is outstanding and we recommend it very, very highly.

Have a wonderful trip.

Archived