Cafe Promenade and Coffee question!

On the Marnier next week and wanted to ask a couple of questions on Cafe Promenade food:

What kinds of pizza are available? Standard cheese and pepperoni? Can you request one with toppings of your choice?

What kinds of sandwiches? Pre-made or fresh made? Are just chips available or also french fries? Just cold or hot (toasted)?

What about breakfast? donuts, bear claws, danish?

I've read the speciality coffees cost extra, but do they have the flavored creams or syrups to add to your coffee free? Do they have different "roasts" like a mild roast coffee?

Equal? Splenda? Sweet & Low? or all 3?

Need to know if I need to pack my favorite!

Thanks all!

Jacquelyn :D

We were on the Explorer a couple of weeks ago and they had cheese/pepperoni/veggie and a nmeat combo foe pizza... as far as sandwiches they always had cheese and ham coissants and the variety of sandwiches changed each day but include at least 4 dif. types... The Ben and Gerrys ice cream had an up charge but soft serve was always avail at no charge.... The coffee is Seattles Best with tea as well.... and all the condiments to go with it I don't remember any pastries.... they were avail in the Windjammer Island Cafe... hope this helps

Granduer 1999

Vitory 2001

Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

Freedom 2007

Pastries are available till about 11 AM. I think the sugar substitute is Equal. No coffee flavorings at Cafe Promenade but there are specialty coffees available for charge at the coffee bar, I think called Latte-tudes. No different "roasts" available. The sandwiches are very good. I particularly enjoy the shrimp salad ones!

The coffee is a dark roast, is made rather strong, and was always bitter to some degree at Explorer's Cafe Promenade. A lot of people like their coffee that way.....but not us. We prefer a lighter roast, and a milder cup of coffee than they serve on the ships (but, we're spolied....my husband is a manager at a coffee roasting plant that makes the BEST coffee we've ever tasted!)

Promenade Cafe is great for a quick snack

1. The sandwiches are great!

2. The pizza is poor (second class to Carnival's, believe it or not)

3. Coffee is fine but very hot - double cup!

4. Always equal and sweet and low available

My wife and I prefer the Promenade Cafe to the Windjammer. Close to the activity and always a place to sit.

Seattle's Best is like a strong European coffee. I don't think RCI ships have metal coffee pots that automatically shut off like Norwegian has in their balcony cabins. I will be packing my own mini pot for my upcoming RCI cruise--along with my Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Can't beat Carnival's Pizza. I love their caesar salad too in the 24 hr pizzeria. RCI has improved their pizza, but it is more like a frozen pizza.

Looks like some good ideas for the suggestion box on our upcoming cruise on Jewel.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

New Yorkers have it so lucky with good pizza. :D

You're absolutely right. That's why RCL's pizza was a major disappointment. The other item New York excels in is bagels. Can't beat a fresh New York Works Bagel!

Or is it only at the Cafe Promenade? I know the quality of the pizza may not be the greatest, but to an 11 and 12 yo boys it will taste just fine! As long as it taste like Tombstone or Red Baron, they can keep on their "diet"! :o

I just wanted to know if we needed to bring our own flavored creamers. I usually use International Delight Low Carb Hazelnut, but that would be inpractical to bring on the cruise. I have some powered Carnation Hazelnut instead, plus my insulated mug!

Back to packing!

Jacquelyn

Or is it only at the Cafe Promenade? I know the quality of the pizza may not be the greatest, but to an 11 and 12 yo boys it will taste just fine! As long as it taste like Tombstone or Red Baron, they can keep on their "diet"! :o

I just wanted to know if we needed to bring our own flavored creamers. I usually use International Delight Low Carb Hazelnut, but that would be inpractical to bring on the cruise. I have some powered Carnation Hazelnut instead, plus my insulated mug!

Back to packing!

Jacquelyn

They don't have any flavored creamers available, so if you really want it, bring your own.

And I agree with the above posters, the coffee on the ships is really strong (even the decaf which is what I drink). However, they have a pretty decent selection of hot teas.

You're absolutely right. That's why RCL's pizza was a major disappointment. The other item New York excels in is bagels. Can't beat a fresh New York Works Bagel!

And this is why whenever my family goes to New York we smuggle bagels back. ;)

**sniff, sniff.......you're all making me cry now.....

Grew up in Northern NJ, and got spoiled with the pizza, and didn't even know it. Now, I can't find anything decent in Michigan that's actually "pizza"...a couple of places that throw tomato sauce on bread dough, but that's about it...... :(

My wife thought I was nuts (she grew up in Michigan) about being a "pizza snob". Then I took her for some good stuff while visiting family. She hasn't been the same since......

Jacquelyn,

Your threads are making it very difficult to concentrate on work. My brain has joined yours on VBS.

Can't believe you have started packing. We are doing laundry preparing but will hold off packing until saturday.

see ya in a week

And this is why whenever my family goes to New York we smuggle bagels back. ;)

My cousin grew up in Queens, attended college in Manhattan (as I did) but later moved to Illinois. Each business trip to NY, he would fill a duffle bag with clothes that would fit our kids and then refill it with bagels for the trip back home.

To answer the question regarding pizza and sandwiches made-to-order, the answer is no. The pizza is by the slice and is the usual cheese, pepperoni, veggie, but no other choices (I think the pizza comes to the Promenade pre-made and ready to cook)--it's okay for a quick bite, but it's not anything I'd go out of my way to have. The sandwiches are "little bites" that are pre-made, but are quite tasty. The ham and cheese croissants and the shrimp were both very good. The overall selection of sandwiches changes from day to day. As I recall, all the sandwiches are cold (no toasted ones). No fries, but there might have been chips (I don't think so though--I never paid close attention).

The Promendade Cafe is not a deli in that you don't go up to the counter and "place" your order; rather, you go up to the counter and tell the attendent which selections you would like. It's more like going to a bakery; the choices are all in glass-front cold cabinets and labeled.

There were no flavored syrups or creams to add to the "free" coffee; probably because they figure if they had those no one would buy the specialty ones. No Splenda last year, but they might have it now. As mentioned, no choices on coffee roast; it is a darker roast.

To make your own sandwich and to have fries, go to the Windjammer.

beachchick

I have to say that the Cafe Promenade was one of my favorite places on the ship. I just loved stopping by there after a show or late night to get my "midnight snack". :p

The pizza is good, not New York pizza of course, but it's tasty and can hit the spot when you're hungry for a snack. The sandwiches were great, different varities each evening, and the desserts were AWSOME!!:D (cheesecake, my fav was abundant!!)

The coffee was very strong and hot. I like mine hot but not too strong so I would just do half coffee and half hot water (available for tea). Or if it's too hot just add some cold water or ice. It worked for me;)

It was so nice to just sit and "people watch" at the tables on the Promenade or you can even take your snack back to your cabin and sit on the balcony and eat or watch tv.. whatever "floats your boat" ( no pun intended LOL)

And being a woman I really enjoyed it because I didn't have to fix the snacks OR clean up!! :)

Duh! (smacks forehead)...Can't believe I forgot to mention the yummy desserts!

Yes, it's a great place to stop for a little "something" (sweet or savory or both), grab a coffee or soft drink and then just relax and people watch for a while.

beachchick

The desserts were definitely the best part of the Cafe Promenade!!!! We thought the pizza tasted like Chuckie Cheese - only recommend it later in the afternoon when all other dining options are closed. On our cruise, finding a table in the cafe Promenade later in the day was sometimes a problem. The Cafe seemed to become an after dinner teen hangout.

The cookies, cheesecake and other "sinful" goodies will be on my "try a bite or two" list! :) (Well, maybe MORE than that!)

Another question from my 12yo...do they have popcorn on the ship? His idea of a "balanced" diet is a burger in one hand and french fries in the other!! :o He is pretty good at trying new foods at dinner, at least for a taste.

MMMMM!! Can smell those fresh baked cookies now!

Jacquelyn :D

I LOVE the pastries!! I think I tried them ALL on my last cruise. I will probably try them all again in a couple of weeks. :D DH loved the shrimp sandwiches. Oh and you can get "sugar-free" desserts there also.

Archived