Snorkeling mask...ugh

mitsugirly

perhaps it was voit?

Did you ever get the mask problem fixed. IIRC some of the less expensive ones had issues with the mask body gassing and that is what caused fogging.

That and to much exhaling thru your nose with the mask in place.

Keep a little water in the bottom of your mask and shake it around when it fogs if your

de-fog compound has expired.

My two cents: start with a decent mask! Throw away the piece of crap mask you bought for $9.95 at your local big-mart. Keep the snorkel if you want.

Get your wallet. Go to a REAL dive shop, and ask them to fit you in a mask. The proper mask is the one that fits your face!

Place the mask on your face WITHOUT a strap, and push in just a teeny tiny bit. If the mask does not stick, try another. Keep trying masks until you get the best 'stick' in the shop. Typically, a decent mask will run between $40 and $80, but can be as low as $20, and as high as $200.

If you need corrective lenses, ask about this up front. There are models of mask that have swappable lenses for common presciptions. Otherwise, you can get lenses made and bonded to the mask.

Stop on the way home, and buy some old-fashioned white toothPASTE without mints, bits, gel stripes, etc. (I use plain old Colgate, others will work fine).

Use the toothpaste on both the inside and outside of your mask. Rub with your fingertips, and use a gentle back and forth motion. Use a Q-tip to get at all the edges. If you don't get the edges clean, the fog will creep from there.

Rinse well, and rinse multiple times until all trace of toothpaste is gone. Let the mask dry and rinse it again. Your mask should now be clean, and ready for service. Store your mask in the protective case once it is thoroughly dry. The mask should always be "in the case or on your face."

Just before using the mask, put in your favorite de-fog (Spit with 'body,' baby shampoo, commercial preparations). Spread evenly around in the mask with your fingertips, and get it all the way into the corners and crevices. Rinse just a little bit, and use your fingertips to smooth.

Voila! a clean and happy mask!

Soak your mask for 10-30 min each night after use, and you may want to use some baby shampoo or a little toothpaste to keep it clean and residue free. If you use sun products, you will need to at least clean the seal to remove the slime, if not re-clean the lenses. This is the time you can use gel toothpaste for cleaning.

If you take the mask in a pool, you will need to re-clean the entire mask inside and out to remove the sun product slime.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but your first experience with a fog-free mask will open up a whole new world!

Have fun, wherever you get in the water. :D

Wendy

I definitely didn't buy my equipment at the local "mart" store and it definitely didn't cost $9.95. I wish, but no. :rolleyes: I bought what everyone on here suggested back then (US divers). Mine fits fine and no water gets in. It's just the fogging issues. I guess I didn't realize that you had to get the coating on it off first. When I originally purchased it, I bought the no-fog stuff with it and just applied it. So that explains why it didn't work. But I still think I don't have all of the coating off of it yet. The last few times I tried it at the pool, it worked better, but not like I want it to. :cool:

My two cents: start with a decent mask! Throw away the piece of crap mask you bought for $9.95 at your local big-mart. Keep the snorkel if you want.

Have to disagree on the snorkel. In my opinion a good snorkel is at least as important as a good mask. A good snorkel has baffle at the top to reduce water intake from wave action. It has a purge valve at the bottom to make clearing water easy without taking it out of your mouth. Finally, it as a comfortable mouthpiece that fits your mouth.

I definitely didn't buy my equipment at the local "mart" store and it definitely didn't cost $9.95. I wish, but no. :rolleyes: I bought what everyone on here suggested back then (US divers). Mine fits fine and no water gets in. It's just the fogging issues. I guess I didn't realize that you had to get the coating on it off first. When I originally purchased it, I bought the no-fog stuff with it and just applied it. So that explains why it didn't work. But I still think I don't have all of the coating off of it yet. The last few times I tried it at the pool, it worked better, but not like I want it to. :cool:

I've been following this thread and have to say that I still don't understand the problem. I bought my mask six years ago from a dive shop. I never had to clean the "glass" of any protective coating. Given all you've done, I don't think a residual coating is your problem. You might want to take the mask to a dive shop and ask for their help.

By the way, how & when do you apply the anti-fogging "stuff"?

Get your wallet. Go to a REAL dive shop, and ask them to fit you in a mask. The proper mask is the one that fits your face!

Place the mask on your face WITHOUT a strap, and push in just a teeny tiny bit. If the mask does not stick, try another. Keep trying masks until you get the best 'stick' in the shop. Typically, a decent mask will run between $40 and $80, but can be as low as $20, and as high as $200.

If you need corrective lenses, ask about this up front. There are models of mask that have swappable lenses for common presciptions. Otherwise, you can get lenses made and bonded to the mask.

Stop on the way home, and buy some old-fashioned white toothPASTE without mints, bits, gel stripes, etc. (I use plain old Colgate, others will work fine).

Use the toothpaste on both the inside and outside of your mask. Rub with your fingertips, and use a gentle back and forth motion. Use a Q-tip to get at all the edges. If you don't get the edges clean, the fog will creep from there.

Rinse well, and rinse multiple times until all trace of toothpaste is gone. Let the mask dry and rinse it again. Your mask should now be clean, and ready for service. Store your mask in the protective case once it is thoroughly dry. The mask should always be "in the case or on your face."

Just before using the mask, put in your favorite de-fog (Spit with 'body,' baby shampoo, commercial preparations). Spread evenly around in the mask with your fingertips, and get it all the way into the corners and crevices. Rinse just a little bit, and use your fingertips to smooth.

Voila! a clean and happy mask!

Soak your mask for 10-30 min each night after use, and you may want to use some baby shampoo or a little toothpaste to keep it clean and residue free. If you use sun products, you will need to at least clean the seal to remove the slime, if not re-clean the lenses. This is the time you can use gel toothpaste for cleaning.

If you take the mask in a pool, you will need to re-clean the entire mask inside and out to remove the sun product slime.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but your first experience with a fog-free mask will open up a whole new world!

Have fun, wherever you get in the water. :D

Wendy

EXCELLENT advice!! I was also going to suggest a dive-quality mask but didn't wanna seem like a scuba snob :D I still miss the best mask I ever had that I left on a dive boat at HMC :o:(

Personally I would not recommend using sun products on the face until after diving/snorkeling, especially around the eyes.

Archived