What to do in St. Croix?

james'mommy

DH and I (late 30's) will be in St Croix in April on the Celebrity Summit. We will be traveling with DS' date=' 10. Any suggestions are welcome.[/quote']

We have never cruised the Caribbean but have stayed on St. Croix 14 times in the past 14 years so can make a few suggestions.

If you like snorkeling, beautiful beaches and sailing, I would suggest that you take a trip out to Buck Island, the only underwater National Park. Big Beards is probably the best outfit to go with out of Christiansted.

If you want more adventure, you might enjoy an ATV ride and jetski package from Geckosislandadventures.com. They are based in Fredericksted (where you will dock) so it's easy to get to them. You tour the rainforest and some of the westend mountains on the ATVs for about 1 1/2 hours then go jetskiing from Rainbow Beach for an hour.

I would suggest going over to the Tripadvisor.com St. Croix forum where you will find many helpful people (my screen name there is ccrosner). If you do a search on Buck Island you will get tons of info about it.

• 3 weeks later...
We have never cruised the Caribbean but have stayed on St. Croix 14 times in the past 14 years so can make a few suggestions.

If you like snorkeling, beautiful beaches and sailing, I would suggest that you take a trip out to Buck Island, the only underwater National Park. Big Beards is probably the best outfit to go with out of Christiansted.

If you want more adventure, you might enjoy an ATV ride and jetski package from Geckosislandadventures.com. They are based in Fredericksted (where you will dock) so it's easy to get to them. You tour the rainforest and some of the westend mountains on the ATVs for about 1 1/2 hours then go jetskiing from Rainbow Beach for an hour.

I would suggest going over to the Tripadvisor.com St. Croix forum where you will find many helpful people (my screen name there is ccrosner). If you do a search on Buck Island you will get tons of info about it.

I'm so jealous! I stayed in St. Croix for about a month in the 90's as my then boyfriend was doing some construction work there. I loved it! I haven't returned but I think I need to find a cruise that goes there and go back just to see St. Croix again.:):):)

• 3 weeks later...

jlmolner, I see you are also on an RCI ship. We wanted to book Virgin Kayak in Jan but our TA told us that RCI stays on Florida time the entire cruise. When I emailed Virgin Kayak they told me we would miss the tour. We are on the Vision in Jan. How did you get around the time change?

jlmolner, I see you are also on an RCI ship. We wanted to book Virgin Kayak in Jan but our TA told us that RCI stays on Florida time the entire cruise. When I emailed Virgin Kayak they told me we would miss the tour. We are on the Vision in Jan. How did you get around the time change?

We're sailing out of San Juan, not Florida. San Juan is in the same time zone as St. Croix.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is this something that can be somewhat quickly? Can we have a taxi take us and wait? My kids would LOVE this but I don't want to plan my day around it.

You will need to get a taxi. Probably a 10 minute drive from the port. And I'm sure you could arrange to have the cab wait for you.

Not sure if it's been stated here already but they do charge you to enter the pig pen and for each non-alcoholic beer you feed the pigs.

And definitely try a johnnycake (if they have them left that day) and a Mamawanna shot while you are there :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, isn't this funny! I'm sitting here reading this post and realized it was MY post written on this very day - 2 years ago exactly! I am reading these posts because we are taking the same cruise again! This time, we are bringing another couple with us because we loved it so much. We are staying in a cabin 3 doors down from the one we had before. Pretty funny!

• 2 months later...
Well, isn't this funny! I'm sitting here reading this post and realized it was MY post written on this very day - 2 years ago exactly! I am reading these posts because we are taking the same cruise again! This time, we are bringing another couple with us because we loved it so much. We are staying in a cabin 3 doors down from the one we had before. Pretty funny!

So what did you do last time?

Yeah Lady Huskies.....(I'm from Brookfield!)