Help w/ pricing...family vacation

MAO

What is the best way to book a family cruise vacation?

Should I book an inside for the 2 teenagers and a balcony for the DH and self?

Or should I book a suite, are the suites big enough to give DH and self some privacy?

We would want to go in the Fall of 2006, on a Voyager class ship...doesn't have to be Fall but after the 1st half of the year.

Can anyone help me figure this out?! Thanks soooo much:) MAO

That really depends on your budget and your comfort level with having the kids in a separate cabin. Our first choice when traveling with our kids is to have them in a connecting cabin. We like the little bit of separation and the two bathrooms. But, we always want balcony cabins and this can get pricey, so that's where your budget comes in. Even with a large suite, you will not necessarily get a separate bedroom and second bathroom, so again it depends on what's most important to you. On our most recent cruise aboard the Mariner, we had a Grand Suite connecting to a D1 cabin. That was very nice and very comfortable. Some ships have the family suites, which offer two bedrooms and two bathrooms, which they will sometimes allow you to book for only four people. We had this option also for the cruise we just did, but in the end the combination we chose did not cost much more, and we actually had more space and privacy, along with nicer accommodations. The second bedroom in the family suite is a rather small inside room, and we much preferred the openness of the Grand Suite to the living room of the family suite.

Mao, don't you think your travel agent would be best to help with your decision? They would have on the spot access to pricing cabin sizes and bedding. And the TA should know your tastes. What works for one on these boards may not be best for you.

I am looking to schedule a cruise next summer 2006 for our family of 4 on the Mariner. Here is what I am looking at:

1. Aft balcony 1388/1688 This fits 4 people.

2. 9676 + 9681 or 9376 + 9381 These are a D1 with balcony connecting to an L inside room.

3. Two promenade connecting rooms

When the Mariner prices come out for summer 2006, I will see the cost of each of these and choose based on some cost/benefit scenario. I'm leaning towards the 2 promenade rooms due to cost. But if either of the other 2 options aren't that much more, I might go with them.

Our situation might be a little different, though, as my girls are 13 and 10.

Maggie

Your #2 choice is a tough one to snag (the D1 w/adjoining L) since their are only two pair of these on the ship! I've tried to get this combo a year in advance checking three different Voyager ships (AOS, MOS & NOS) for any week over the summer months with no luck. We ended up with two D1's on our last cruise, and it was great! My kids are still too young (IMO) to be across the hall where I can't see/hear them!

Thank you all for your help. Sounds like it is alittle work to arrange which cabins and how to best accomadate the family. I hadn't thought of the connecting L inside thingy guess I really didn't know about it. Thanks! That's what the boards are for :D Good to know too about the size of the suites.

Cruise well, MAO

Archived