Epic Civil War Aug 10 Sailing

Responder

Don...this is for you..

We got to New Orleans...spent the night, having been aware that the boat could not go South of Memphis due to low water.

The next morning they bussed us to Jackson where we had a way too long, hot and tedius tour of the battlefields. We then got on the bus to Vicksburg to spend the night in a hotel. The next day, another long ride to Memphis where we finally boarded the boat. Maybe 10 hours of bussing. That was yesterday...and after the Coast Guard drill we finally got to our cabin...got the luggage...unpacked...and ultimately went to dinner....Unavoidable hassle until now.

Tonight we remain in Memphis and they offered a tour to Helena where the boat could not dock. Tomorrow, since we stay in Memphis untill the afternoon, they are offering tours here until we leave.

Our cabin was 205 sq ft and quite decent. The bathroom was pristine with new sparkling fixtures...everything worked...hot water..lots of pressure..plush towels. The bed was a delight and we met our room stewardess who was delightful and filled all our needs.

We had dinner in the dining room and the servers were excellent as was the food. We didn't care for the red wine that was poured and a simple request brought the wine we wanted.

They had a show for the evening entertainment and although we didn't attend, those who did loved it.

Every crew member we pass offers a big hello as well as any help required.

We took a pilot house tour today with the Riverlorian and this guy is incredible.

Most of the upcoming lectures and programs surround the horrific Civil War and our interest will mostly be with the PTV presentations.

The internet is terribly slow...to be expected.

The interesting thing for me thus far has been the reviews that bordered on the extremes. Loved it-hated it.

At this juncture, if thing continue as they have, my reviews will be to the extreme of excellent. This type of cruise is laid back and relaxing and that, along with the Civil War theme, was our reason for sailing.

To me, this Steamboat is unique and once you recognize the difference between this and all the other riverboats and ocean-going vessels, I'm sure you will all have a great experience.

Having said all that, I can only hope it continues in this vein for us as well as all of you who are yet to sail on it.

burris

There is absolutely nothing that AQSC can do about the low water, but from you first posting, it sounds as if the steamboat company is handling things the best that it can. Let's hope that they keep up the good work!

Thanks. Burris -- I was wondering if you would post from on board! Bummer about the low river -- should be better on the Tennesee River. I wonder what we'll do -- we're supposed to go to Vicksburg, then back to Helena and Memphis on the second leg of our back-to-back. We're due in Memphis on the 1st leg on 8/28 at 8 AM; and again in Memphis on 9/2, departing at 1 PM -- it looks like we might have to spend 5-1/2 days in Memphis! That would be a real bummer -- at least we won't have any bus rides to get to the boat, as we embark in Chattanooga and disembark in Louisville.

For others who might be reading this, Responder (burris) is a veteran Regent Seven Seas cruiser; if he says AQ is extreme excellence, it must be really good.

Thanks. Burris -- I was wondering if you would post from on board! Bummer about the low river -- should be better on the Tennesee River. I wonder what we'll do -- we're supposed to go to Vicksburg, then back to Helena and Memphis on the second leg of our back-to-back. We're due in Memphis on the 1st leg on 8/28 at 8 AM; and again in Memphis on 9/2, departing at 1 PM -- it looks like we might have to spend 5-1/2 days in Memphis! That would be a real bummer -- at least we won't have any bus rides to get to the boat, as we embark in Chattanooga and disembark in Louisville.

For others who might be reading this, Responder (burris) is a veteran Regent Seven Seas cruiser; if he says AQ is extreme excellence, it must be really good.

Hi, Don...

The Riverlorian explained that on the Tennessee or Ohio Rivers, they control the water levels with the locks so there shouldn't be a problem.

We plan on taking the hop on hop off bus into Memphis today to look around...some rain that may be coming our way.

Yesterday, those who wanted to go to Helena were provided an included tour there. When we were told it was an almost 2 hour bus ride each way plus the touring time, we passed. Needed time to recover from the previous day's busses.

Again, most people we spoke with enjoyed the tour.

Enough for now. Would like to see some posts from others on this trip to get their opinions.

Don...this is for you..

We got to New Orleans...spent the night, having been aware that the boat could not go South of Memphis due to low water.

The next morning they bussed us to Jackson where we had a way too long, hot and tedius tour of the battlefields. We then got on the bus to Vicksburg to spend the night in a hotel. The next day, another long ride to Memphis where we finally boarded the boat. Maybe 10 hours of bussing. That was yesterday...and after the Coast Guard drill we finally got to our cabin...got the luggage...unpacked...and ultimately went to dinner....Unavoidable hassle until now.

Tonight we remain in Memphis and they offered a tour to Helena where the boat could not dock. Tomorrow, since we stay in Memphis untill the afternoon, they are offering tours here until we leave.

Our cabin was 205 sq ft and quite decent. The bathroom was pristine with new sparkling fixtures...everything worked...hot water..lots of pressure..plush towels. The bed was a delight and we met our room stewardess who was delightful and filled all our needs.

We had dinner in the dining room and the servers were excellent as was the food. We didn't care for the red wine that was poured and a simple request brought the wine we wanted.

They had a show for the evening entertainment and although we didn't attend, those who did loved it.

Every crew member we pass offers a big hello as well as any help required.

We took a pilot house tour today with the Riverlorian and this guy is incredible.

Most of the upcoming lectures and programs surround the horrific Civil War and our interest will mostly be with the PTV presentations.

The internet is terribly slow...to be expected.

The interesting thing for me thus far has been the reviews that bordered on the extremes. Loved it-hated it.

At this juncture, if thing continue as they have, my reviews will be to the extreme of excellent. This type of cruise is laid back and relaxing and that, along with the Civil War theme, was our reason for sailing.

To me, this Steamboat is unique and once you recognize the difference between this and all the other riverboats and ocean-going vessels, I'm sure you will all have a great experience.

Having said all that, I can only hope it continues in this vein for us as well as all of you who are yet to sail on it.

burris

Burris I am on the American Queen 10 day Chattanooga -Vicksburg 8/20/12 trip so I appreciate your report....I hope you were successful in sailing this afternoon from Memphis and will have a good trip to Chattanooga. Kindly keep me informed of her progress. Thank you so much.

Leslie & Rich Black

Burris I am on the American Queen 10 day Chattanooga -Vicksburg 8/20/12 trip so I appreciate your report....I hope you were successful in sailing this afternoon from Memphis and will have a good trip to Chattanooga. Kindly keep me informed of her progress. Thank you so much.

Leslie & Rich Black

Leslie and Rich, Betsy and I are also on the 8/20 voyage. I started a roll call in the river cruises roll call forum months ago, but no one has found it!

We're getting to Chattanooga the afternoon of the 16th in our RV and doing some sighseeing with friends on the 17th and 18th. We're parking the RV at the airport (for later pick up) and checking in to the Sheraton Read House on the 19th.

As of today, the boat is not sailing below Memphis. It doesn't look like that will change by the time we get there. We're scheduled to sail back-to-back on the 8/30 voyage to Louisville, which is scheduled to be in Memphis again on 9/2. I'm wondering what we will do for 5-1/2 days in Memphis between 8/28 and 9/2...I know they're offering tours, but I am primarily taking the voyages for the "steamboating".

I really feel for the folks who are scheduled to get off or on in Vicksburg and traveling in to or out of New Orleans. At least we can stay on the boat or stay in the Memphis area until we start north again...it looks like the company is doing everything it can. How sad to be hit with such a drought in their maiden year.

We'll be completing our voyage by renting a car in Louisville, driving 300 miles back to Chattanooga, picking up the RV and heading back to Florida.

It's nice to know we won't be alone on the boat, and at least one other couple is on cruise critic!

Don

That does not sound too good

Let's hope they get some rain & the boat can move

I would be so upset if I was stuck busing from one port

Hope you will get some cruising in on the trip

Lyn

Leslie and Rich, Betsy and I are also on the 8/20 voyage. I started a roll call in the river cruises roll call forum months ago, but no one has found it!

We're getting to Chattanooga the afternoon of the 16th in our RV and doing some sighseeing with friends on the 17th and 18th. We're parking the RV at the airport (for later pick up) and checking in to the Sheraton Read House on the 19th.

As of today, the boat is not sailing below Memphis. It doesn't look like that will change by the time we get there. We're scheduled to sail back-to-back on the 8/30 voyage to Louisville, which is scheduled to be in Memphis again on 9/2. I'm wondering what we will do for 5-1/2 days in Memphis between 8/28 and 9/2...I know they're offering tours, but I am primarily taking the voyages for the "steamboating".

I really feel for the folks who are scheduled to get off or on in Vicksburg and traveling in to or out of New Orleans. At least we can stay on the boat or stay in the Memphis area until we start north again...it looks like the company is doing everything it can. How sad to be hit with such a drought in their maiden year.

We'll be completing our voyage by renting a car in Louisville, driving 300 miles back to Chattanooga, picking up the RV and heading back to Florida.

It's nice to know we won't be alone on the boat, and at least one other couple is on cruise critic!

We will be arriving in Chattonooga on the evening of Aug 19th and will also be staying at the Sheraton Read House. We have flight reservations from Jackson, Mississippi in the afternoon of August 30th, since it appears that the ship can not go south of Memphis our concern is how we get from Memphis to Vicksburg to Jackson in time for the flight? Any ideas?

Leslie & Rich Black

We will be arriving in Chattonooga on the evening of Aug 19th and will also be staying at the Sheraton Read House. We have flight reservations from Jackson, Mississippi in the afternoon of August 30th, since it appears that the ship can not go south of Memphis our concern is how we get from Memphis to Vicksburg to Jackson in time for the flight? Any ideas?

Leslie & Rich Black

We'llbe arriving in Memphis at 8 AM on the 28th (our 47th anniversary, incidentally :cool:), and your flight is not until the 30th, so there will be plenty of time. AQ provided buses from Jackson to Memphis for the folks who are board now, so I'm sure they'll do the same in the other direction.

It's possible they may also go a little further south to Helena, Arkansas. I learned they took a drive down river and looked at it, but I didn't hear any decisions. That would reduce the distance to Jackson to less than 200 miles, about 3-1/2 hours. It was going to be about 45 miles from Vicksburg to Jackson, about an hour, so it shouldn't be too much worse from Helena or even Memphis.

While in Memphis recently, the AQ took some small "dinner cruise" voyages so the headqaurters folks could see a little of what it's all about.

We'llbe arriving in Memphis at 8 AM on the 28th (our 47th anniversary, incidentally :cool:), and your flight is not until the 30th, so there will be plenty of time. AQ provided buses from Jackson to Memphis for the folks who are board now, so I'm sure they'll do the same in the other direction.

It's possible they may also go a little further south to Helena, Arkansas. I learned they took a drive down river and looked at it, but I didn't hear any decisions. That would reduce the distance to Jackson to less than 200 miles, about 3-1/2 hours. It was going to be about 45 miles from Vicksburg to Jackson, about an hour, so it shouldn't be too much worse from Helena or even Memphis.

While in Memphis recently, the AQ took some small "dinner cruise" voyages so the headqaurters folks could see a little of what it's all about.

How lovely that you will be sailing on your anniversary! I am sure that they will have a bus to take us to the proper departure city but the thought of 10 hours on the bus as Responder(Burris) stated sounds very tiring. It seems that Great American Steamboat Company is doing all that they can do. I am sure that it will be a great trip. Looking forward to meeting you. Leslie & Rich

How lovely that you will be sailing on your anniversary! I am sure that they will have a bus to take us to the proper departure city but the thought of 10 hours on the bus as Responder(Burris) stated sounds very tiring. It seems that Great American Steamboat Company is doing all that they can do. I am sure that it will be a great trip. Looking forward to meeting you. Leslie & Rich

Leslie, Burris started in New Orleans, was bused to Jackson, then around Vicksburg, and finally to Memphis. The ten hours was not all at one stretch. Googler maps says the distance between Memphis and Jackson is 209.3 miles and should take 3 hours, 17 minutes. My Street Atlas says the distance between Mud Island, where AQ will likely dock, and the Jackson, MS airport is 220 miles and takes about 3 hours, 54 minutes.

I wonder if there's some way, under the circumstances, to change your flight from Jackson to Memphis?

Leslie, Burris started in New Orleans, was bused to Jackson, then around Vicksburg, and finally to Memphis. The ten hours was not all at one stretch. Googler maps says the distance between Memphis and Jackson is 209.3 miles and should take 3 hours, 17 minutes. My Street Atlas says the distance between Mud Island, where AQ will likely dock, and the Jackson, MS airport is 220 miles and takes about 3 hours, 54 minutes.

I wonder if there's some way, under the circumstances, to change your flight from Jackson to Memphis?

Don, that is a wonderful suggestion, if I knew for sure that we will be ending in Memphis I would do this. We are on a free frequent flyer miles tickets, so it will take some doing!

I would think they may be busing people to the original debarkation city as well as picking up passengers there

People will have had their air tickets & may not be able to change

Maybe you can change to a flight the next day so if they cannot make it to the port you have time to drive there

More difficult with FF tickets but it might be worth a shot

Don, that is a wonderful suggestion, if I knew for sure that we will be ending in Memphis I would do this. We are on a free frequent flyer miles tickets, so it will take some doing!

Have taken your wise suggestion! I was not able to change it for Aug 30th but have changed it from Memphis home to Newark on the evening of Aug 29th. Have permission from the headquarters of the American Queen to leave early. They are really nice.

Concerning 5 days in Memphis I would go to Graceland- great collection of cars, go over to Pink Palace Hotel- which was built by the owner of PigglyWigley and the Peabody Hotel where the ducks parade at 11AM.

I would think they may be busing people to the original debarkation city as well as picking up passengers there

Maybe you can change to a flight the next day so if they cannot make it to the port you have time to drive there

Thank you all done. Will leave the day before and will still have time to see Memphis!

Leslie glad it worked out for you. Now, the only fly in the opintment would be a Great Deluge that fills the Mississippi in a couple of days -- before we get there, of course ;). I don't think anyone believes that's likely in the short run...

Leslie glad it worked out for you. Now, the only fly in the opintment would be a Great Deluge that fills the Mississippi in a couple of days -- before we get there, of course ;).

Don

I was thinking the same thing

;)

Good Morning, All....

Just got to Paducah, Ky. The weather this morning is beautiful. We havent't had much rain at all..

This is the first time I have been able to get on the internet since my last post. Even now, I found a hot spot somewhere from land and was able to connect.

I sure hope the logistics of the rivers shape up so the boat can sail.

The waters are very low in the South and now that we joined the Ohio River, they expect clear sailing.

Even without the water issues, if we had been advised about the Jackson alternative in time, we would have flown there.

This is a step back in time and if you sail with that in mind, you will have a great experience. The crew is very good and friendly and so far we haven't asked for any thing that we haven't gotten.

Don't look to compare this style of cruising to any ocean sailing vessel you have sailed on. A different world..

The food is an experience for us with all the different kinds of cooking and flavors. You have to let yourself go and try everything.

The musicians aboard rival any on the major cruise lines. We saw a variety show last night and it was delightful...but without all the flashing lights...smoke screens...elaborate costumes or glitter. Just good down-home entertainment.

The hop on busses are very good and allow you to veiw the towns at your leisure..or you can book the tours instead.

The crowd, ourselves included, are on the other side of the mountain coming down...a very much older crowd...I'm not sure the very younger would be comfortable here. It's difficult to walk the decks without getting a big hello from virtually every fellow passenger or crew member.

A big difference is how the employees are treated...they get good pay..medical care...vacations,etc..and that's why it costs as much as the large off-shore ships.

A completely different experience...and if you don't accept it as such...save your money.

As to whether they will survive or not, who knows. Our sailing is at best...50% full.

Later if I have internet access, I will highlite a few more observations, for what they may be worth to you.

;)

;)Success with changing my flight- Will fly a day early from Memphis to Newark and will not have to worry about time and a long bus ride.....

Good Morning, All....

Just got to Paducah, Ky. The weather this morning is beautiful. We havent't had much rain at all..

This is the first time I have been able to get on the internet since my last post. Even now, I found a hot spot somewhere from land and was able to connect.

The waters are very low in the South and now that we joined the Ohio River, they expect clear sailing.

Even without the water issues, if we had been advised about the Jackson alternative in time, we would have flown there.

This is a step back in time and if you sail with that in mind, you will have a great experience. The crew is very good and friendly and so far we haven't asked for any thing that we haven't gotten.

Don't look to compare this style of cruising to any ocean sailing vessel you have sailed on. A different world..

The food is an experience for us with all the different kinds of cooking and flavors. You have to let yourself go and try everything.

The musicians aboard rival any on the major cruise lines. We saw a variety show last night and it was delightful...but without all the flashing lights...smoke screens...elaborate costumes or glitter. Just good down-home entertainment.

The hop on busses are very good and allow you to veiw the towns at your leisure..or you can book the tours instead.

The crowd, ourselves included, are on the other side of the mountain coming down...a very much older crowd...I'm not sure the very younger would be comfortable here. It's difficult to walk the decks without getting a big hello from virtually every fellow passenger or crew member.

A big difference is how the employees are treated...they get good pay..medical care...vacations,etc..and that's why it costs as much as the large off-shore ships.

A completely different experience...and if you don't accept it as such...save your money.

As to whether they will survive or not, who knows. Our sailing is at best...50% full.

Later if I have internet access, I will highlite a few more observations, for what they may be worth to you.

Thank you so much for your report from the ship. I have used your experience with the distances of the buses to make changes in my air. I will leave from Memphis rather than be bused to Vicksburg. I am glad that you are enjoying the entertainment and the food and service.

Good Morning, All....

Hope you enjoyed your time in Paducah. We love having the Queen stop here.

Archived