adjoining cabins question

starsteveo

I have a two adjoining cabins booked. To the people who have had them before, how did you keep them open? I have stayed in them before and had to use the small end table in the cabin to prop it open. It was in the way though when walking around the bed. I'm thinking of bringing a couple of door stops. Another problem we had was if the kids closed the door from their side, or vice versa, then we were locked out from the opposite side. Anyone have any tips to help keep the doors open or from locking when closed?

Hmmm. Nt sure I can help other than to say to talk to your room steward about the locking when closed thing. We had no way to lock our door. It closed, but didn't lock. Lucky for us, the door stayed open on its own, but I think a rubber doorstop is a very good idea.

I just noticed you are sailing on the Ecstacy. That is the ship we were on with connecting rooms. Hopefully your door won't be a problem this time around.

Our adjoining cabin doors had a small kinda magnetic thingy that held the door open against the cabin wall (where there was the other part of the magnetic thing) We left both doors unlocked at all times - there was a bolt lock, so if we wanted a bit of privacy we opened the door, engaged the bolt lock, and shut the door so it was closed, but not flush closed against the wall. We did the same with the other adjoining door. (we have a special needs dd and need to be able to get access to her in the event of a medical problem.) I don't remember using the door jam wedge, as the door is not flush with the floor - there is a "lip" on the door about 2 inches off the floor - we had to step over the lip, so I'm not sure a wedge would work. We got a key card to the other cabin so we could get in from the hallway if the adjoining doors were ever locked by accident. Hope this helps!

There is no door knob on the inside of the door so locked or unlocked I don't think was the issue. I do remember the door would not go flush to the wall because the TV was in the way, and I remember the door would block my view of the TV. Also don't remember having any door stops in the room. Thought about maybe using bungee cords to hold them back but don't know what I'd hook to. Maybe I could tape over latch hole or stuff some tissue in it to stop it from latching when closed. Push it to when you want privacy and push open when you want it open. Just wondering if anyone here has come up with any good tricks for this. I like to think I'm clever but you guys are very resourceful cruise McGyvers here at CC.

Hmm- all the adjoining cabins we have had had the door open towards the balcony - no blockage of tv of any kind.:confused: The door definitely magnetically "stuck" to the wall when fully opened - no need of a door stop. The door had a twist lock - when you opened the door, and then twisted the lock knob, the bolt part would stick out, and you couldn't "close" the door - just like a hotel room door, or even the main cabin door. (when we run out for ice, we do this - so we are not locked out for the moment) So I don't think you have to worry about the door closing and automatically latching - it won't if you engage the lock with both doors open so you can just push them open. Don't know if I am explaining the technical parts right - hope you understand what I am trying to say!!:)

Archived