Carry on?

The smaller prop planes have very limited overhead bin space and usually no closets. I don't know how your dress will be packed or how large it is. It would certainly be smashed trying to cram it into the overhead bin on most of these planes.

You cannot hold it in your lap. What airline is it and what type of plane?

We are flying to the port our ship goes out of...has anyone had trouble carrying on their dress? We are going on a smaller prop plane so a little worried about overhead bin space, but I think half the plane will be our wedding guests.

Oh I so know this problem! I had a large dress with a petty coat, not to mention veil, hair pieces, shoes and accessories. It happened to us and we were on a jumper plane (completely booked - none of our family on board this flight) to a larger airport before flying to a larger airport. We decided to pack it and put it under the plane. We figured, if we are putting the Tux under the plane, why not the dress? Of course that led to another problem... what if it rains and the luggage gets wet? We put my dress in a water proof bag then used Press and Seal on the zippers and other areas and rolled it up to put in the luggage! Then we hoped it didn't get lost!! :eek: When we checked in with the airline we told them how important the luggage was. They did mark it as priority.

To our surprise it worked great and when I took the dress out on the ship, it wasn't even wrinkled! I guess I got very lucky with the material of the dress. I was really worried I would need the dress ironed (not an easy task if you saw the dress) and the cruise line would ruin it. We did a 15 night cruise and didn't get married until the 8th day of the cruise.

That was smart to protect the dress from getting wet. I have seen many bags just sitting on the tarmac in the rain. Usually a priority tag just means your bag is offloaded first.

I believe if your dress was wrinkled, you could have it steamed. Don't think the ship would actually iron it, and you wouldn't want them to.

Glad it worked for you.

Archived