Poll: Take the Cruise Insurance or not...

ChitownGus

We buy third party mainly for the evacuation coverage. I want the independent third party on my side if I have a claim problem against the carrier.

IMO the trick in life is to be reasonably insured but not insurance poor.

So for a $2,000 cruise I'll spend $90, not $400 for insurance. My other "insurance" is to drive to the port a day early and spend $100 on a hotel rather than worry about driving straight from home on the same day as the cruise.

We buy third party mainly for the evacuation coverage. I want the independent third party on my side if I have a claim problem against the carrier.

IMO the trick in life is to be reasonably insured but not insurance poor.

So for a $2,000 cruise I'll spend $90, not $400 for insurance. My other "insurance" is to drive to the port a day early and spend $100 on a hotel rather than worry about driving straight from home on the same day as the cruise.

Just curious...Who spends $400 for insurance? Ours is $147 for three adults through the cruise line. :)

Job loss is NOT COVERED......

It can be, depending on the coverage you purchase.

Just curious...Who spends $400 for insurance? Ours is $147 for three adults through the cruise line. :)

It depends on the cost of the trip. If you are 3 sailing in an inside cabin for 3 nights you would pay even less. But if you are 2 sailing in a JS for 18 nights, it can be $700 or OS.

And I glad we took it for our upcoming trip. Lufthansa fight attendants may be going on strike next week and we are booked on LF to Munich.:eek::eek:

Which is one reason we insure the longer trips farther from home...

We have never purchased the insurance from anyone. Are we taking a chance? Maybe. But, we cruise a LOT. We've saved thousands of dollars by not taking insurance. So, if there ever is a time that we miss a cruise, I figure that we've saved more than we'll lose. Does that make sense? LOL. Lose 1 cruise, or pay insurance on over 30 cruises.....If we only cruised occasionally, I might consider it. But, it's kind of like car insurance....great if you cash in, a waste of money if you don't. I've paid car insurance for almost 30 years, and have never filed a claim. Imagine if I had all of that wasted insurance money back.....I could go on more cruises! LOL.

Travel health insurance? Always. Cancellation insurance? Never. On that we agree.

However, the money you have paid for auto insurance is not wasted. It's worth it because if you killed someone it would devastate you financially. That's what insurance is for, not the small stuff. I think a trip is small stuff. Like you've I have saved more than a missed vacation or two. A lot more.

For example, if you go to the insuremytrip or similar type web page you will find policies of all different costs from "basic" to "super" that run from less than a hundred to hundreds for the same trip cost. It depends on how extensive the coverage you want.

I also include the cost of the guaranteed hotel and travel day before the cruise in my coverage. I'm not sure I could do that with the cruiseline policy. And would the cruiseline policy cover airline tickets you bought yourself and not through them?

It is usually recommended to purchase it when you're stable medically (past 90 days), but definitely before final payment with the non-refundable penalties kicking in. Some purchase it upon deposit. Insurance rates can rise, and some birthdays cause huge increases. Age 75 and 80 really kick it up!! :eek: Rates do steadily increase after 59.

There is no set date that it HAS to be purchased, unless you purchase cruise line insurance. YOu have to purchase that upon final payment. Private companies will insure you up until time of sail, but I don't recommend waiting that long.

Sad tale - just had people book a cruise, and they refused insurance. Husband was diagnosed with cancer, and surgery is scheduled the week of the cruise, so they had to cancel with 75% penalty. If they had purchased insurance, they would have gotten their money refunded.

Thanks for the info DG.:)

Job loss is NOT COVERED......

Depends on your policy!! Not with cruise line insurance!

It can be, depending on the coverage you purchase.

It depends on the cost of the trip. If you are 3 sailing in an inside cabin for 3 nights you would pay even less. But if you are 2 sailing in a JS for 18 nights, it can be $700 or OS.

And I glad we took it for our upcoming trip. Lufthansa fight attendants may be going on strike next week and we are booked on LF to Munich.:eek::eek:

Which is one reason we insure the longer trips farther from home...

If you are above 80, you would be shocked at the insurance cost!! ;)

And sorry to hear about that!! I so hate that! It seems almost every flight I take has some sort of job action going on - pilots, flight attendants, baggage handlers, mechanics - I think I've had them all!

Thanks for the info DG.:)

You are welcome!

Surely Travel insurance is a must. IMHO it's got nothing to do with covering the relatively small cost of losing the cost of the cruise itself but more to do with covering medical/repatriation costs which could easily be tens of thousands of £.

A friend was on a 2 night break in Rome (from the UK) without insurance, got knocked over and was in a coma for a few days and then recovering in hospital for weeks and then got transferred by medical plane back to the UK. I believe the costs were around £25,000 and that didn't include medical costs as he was within the EU and entitled to free treatment as part the NHS.

He was in Rome supporting his local football (soccer) team who heard about his predicament and paid the costs.

We buy Annual Travel Insurance for the two of us at a cost of £150 ($225). Surely a small price to pay compared to the potential benefits.

I can't understand why you wouldnt do it!

Scrolled all the way down and still didn't see the poll.

Answer - Yes, we us vacation insurance through the cruise line.

I started this thread last week WITH a poll so the discussion could continue but for some reason it died out and the other thread lives on. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1690713

Please don't take this bad advice. If you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. You never know what just might happen.

Katana....truer words were never spoken. You hit the nail on the head; unless you have something else in place to cover unforeseen emergencies, travel insurance should be a natural part of your vacation budget. If you can't afford to do that, you can't afford a vacation. Period.

Do Not Buy Travel Insurance.

Cruise insurance for travel agents and cruise lines is a huge profit center built on individual paranoia and fear. It is pure sheltered income.

Wrong on all counts.Just ask anyone that has used it,like us,twice.

Surely Travel insurance is a must. IMHO it's got nothing to do with covering the relatively small cost of losing the cost of the cruise itself but more to do with covering medical/repatriation costs which could easily be tens of thousands of £.

A friend was on a 2 night break in Rome (from the UK) without insurance, got knocked over and was in a coma for a few days and then recovering in hospital for weeks and then got transferred by medical plane back to the UK. I believe the costs were around £25,000 and that didn't include medical costs as he was within the EU and entitled to free treatment as part the NHS.

He was in Rome supporting his local football (soccer) team who heard about his predicament and paid the costs.

We buy Annual Travel Insurance for the two of us at a cost of £150 ($225). Surely a small price to pay compared to the potential benefits.

I can't understand why you wouldnt do it!

If I could get an annual policy for that little, I would, even though I only need the cancellation benefit. But I haven't seen one for U.S. residents.

Never have and never have needed it. Maybe I am just lucky?

I usually try and book cruises only when its a great deal, making the insurance so expensive that it just doesn't pay. I am sure I have saved so much at this point that if something were to happen I would not lose as much as I have previously saved.

I also try and fly in early to avoid this issue...never like chancing it timing wise. This past cruise was my first time ever flying in day of, and I was a nervous wreck

Wrong on all counts.Just ask anyone that has used it,like us,twice.

Since you enjoy giving your money away, I'll send you a "the sky is falling", insurance bill tied directly to my PayPal account.

Please pay by the 30th of each month. Thank you. :p

I don't buy it, but I build in time too allow for travel mishaps, (one night for domestic cruises, two nights for international departures). It depends on what you feel your risks are.

Do have medical problems or a sick relative?

Are you forced to book same day flights (as cruise departure) for work reasons?

etc...

There's a lot of things you can do to avoid missing a cruise departure from airplane related problems. Book a non-stop flight if you can (to minimize weather related problems) and make sure you have enough time for a last minute drive (if feasible). If you are flying over seas, book your connecting flight in Europe (if possible). Lastly if you flight does get canceled, stay calm, and try to demand a ticket anywhere remotely close and then rent a car and drive. Focus on what the airline can do for you rather than demand an itinerary that is no longer possible or not guaranteed. I think a lot of people do not know that you can overcome a canceled flight if you are creative and plan just a little.

Buying medical only insurance (Emergency health coverage while traveling) through someone like Travelex is cheap and therefore not a bad idea at all. The expensive coverage is the one that covers cancellation costs; if you plan well I generally don't suggest this type of insurance.

If I could get an annual policy for that little, I would, even though I only need the cancellation benefit. But I haven't seen one for U.S. residents.

I have a similar annnual insurance as referenced - for medical and repatrition. Mine was around $250 for the year. Insuremytrip seach annual medical plans. definitely available for US residents.

A friend had a broken ankle in Mexico a few years back - out of pocket expenses were around $10,000, and then the hassles with her insurance company began. I have heard of trauma patients waiting to hear how the bill would be secured BEFORE emergency surgery.

I have never purchased cancellation insurance...by the time of final payment I am committed to go or to lose the cost.

Fortunately I have never not managed to make a cruise sailing.

When I had a flair-up of chronic bronchitis COPD while in Europe I was very happy to have insurance - not just for the money, but because when you are struggling to breathe you want prompt care. My BCBS did NOT cover the care I received.

Another piece of advice for those who use cruise line insurance - be sure you know what is covered! All policies are not the same and the difference may be in small print.

Since you enjoy giving your money away, I'll send you a "the sky is falling", insurance bill tied directly to my PayPal account.

Don't be so unreasonable. Even if you don't believe in getting travel insurance there are people who do?

What if, heaven forbid, you fall down the stairs on the ship and break your leg?

What if you're like on of the passengers on the Costs Concordia and you lose all your luggage as you have to evacuate the ship?

What if your cruise is cancelled by the line?

What if you gone down with malaria or dengue fever?

These are things travel insurance covers, and they are all (ok, maybe the third is unlikely) within the realm of possibility of happening on your cruise.

Would you rather have the peace of mind knowing you are covered if these thing happen? It's a small fee compared to the big ones you get if you're out of pocket for medical repatriation.

How crass! It is one thing to have a legitimate difference of opinion, but your mockery makes discussion pointless. This is not an argument! So please quit, take your ball and go home.

I have had occasion to leave a cruise early for the unexpected demise of my father. At that time, the insurance did give peace of mind, with reimbursement for the part of the cruise not taken, as well as plane fare. Do not mock those who derive this peace of mind from insurance. We all know it's something we are paying for yet hoping to never use. Clearly, there are situations when it is helpful.

Rick

How crass! It is one thing to have a legitimate difference of opinion, but your mockery makes discussion pointless. This is not an argument! So please quit, take your ball and go home.

I have had occasion to leave a cruise early for the unexpected demise of my father. At that time, the insurance did give peace of mind, with reimbursement for the part of the cruise not taken, as well as plane fare. Do not mock those who derive this peace of mind from insurance. We all know it's something we are paying for yet hoping to never use. Clearly, there are situations when it is helpful.

Rick

Thank you.......well said!!

Rick

Try to have a sense of humor !! :cool:

Katana....truer words were never spoken. You hit the nail on the head; unless you have something else in place to cover unforeseen emergencies, travel insurance should be a natural part of your vacation budget. If you can't afford to do that, you can't afford a vacation. Period.

Wow, really? We can easily afford the insurance, but we choose not to buy it. And I would expect that most people that choose not to buy it could also afford it.

Your logic escapes me.

Archived