Princess Transfers from Heathrow: Which Terminal?

DocRock143

Hi all...we will be on the Grand Princess next week departing Southampton Saturday Aug. 25. We are getting into London a few days early and staying at the Sofitel Hotel, just off Terminal 5 (where we fly into with British Airways.) We purchased Princess transfers from Heathrow to Southampton.

We called Princess to find out exactly where and when to get the transfer bus to Southampton and the representative was friendly but less than helpful. She mentioned catching the Princess bus to Southampton at Terminal 3 before 9:30. (I find it hard to believe that the Princess bus is only at one terminal at just one time.)

Should we just plan to return to Terminal 5 Saturday morning and look for Princess representatives by baggage claim? Does the transfer bus stop at all the terminals? Any recommendations as to when to show up?

Thanks!

Alan

In your personalizer, put the flight you're arriving on but the day you want the transfer. They don't check the flight manifest and just need to know when you'll be there. I believe all BA and AA flights from the US arrive in terminal 5 so I wouldn't worry about having to go to another terminal. Just go to where you arrived the day before at about that time. There will be someone there waiting for passengers to exit Immigration and Customs.

In your personalizer, put the flight you're arriving on but the day you want the transfer. They don't check the flight manifest and just need to know when you'll be there. I believe all BA and AA flights from the US arrive in terminal 5 so I wouldn't worry about having to go to another terminal. Just go to where you arrived the day before at about that time. There will be someone there waiting for passengers to exit Immigration and Customs.

Thanks, Pam. Our flight arrives at 1:30 p.m. on August 22. I believe that time of day would be too late for a transfer from Heathrow to Southampton. I think we'll plan to be at the airport (terminal 5) on the day of departure by 9 a.m. (just to be safe).

The Coach Station at Heathrow is located between Terminals 1 and 3 and is not walkable to from Terminal 5. Coach access to Terminal 5 is limited so there is a possiblilty that you will be directed to take a shuttle train from Terminal 5 to the central part of the airport. If the hotel offers transport back to Heathrow I would heed the Princess rep and have them take you to the arrivals area of Terminal 3.

OK, I know you are leaving next week so my advice is a bit late, but I do feel obligated to say that you can easily hire a car service to take you directly from the hotel to the pier in Southampton for only slightly more than the cost of two Princess transfers. Worth it just to avoid dragging your bags back to the airport--and they could pick you up at the hotel around 10:30-11:00 and you would likely be at the ship ahead of those queueing up for the coach transfer at 9:30 or earlier. You will find tons of recommendations on the Southampton ports board.

And since I've already started the unsolicited advice...I can't help but wonder why you are staying three nights at an airport hotel? Central London is 40-45 min away by taxi, 60 min on the Tube. Outlying sites such as Windsor Castle appear convenient to Heathrow, but there is no direct transport. So maybe you have already made your own ground travel arrangements from your hotel...or are not doing touristy stuff at all, in which case I will MYOB :rolleyes:

Hi There,

Expect to see Princess reps around and just ask their advise

the sofitl is a nice modern hotel, it is one that Princess uses as such ask desk staff for happens, if they do not know they will know how to get

the coreect answer for you,

next to the hotel still inside is a m & s food shop, you will get very nice snacks and drinks there, as soft drinks in the hotel are not cheap

your hotel has great connctions for bus , rail car hire etc so you can use it as a base to tour from,

we often stay out side London when we go there, as prices are so much cheaper

enjoy your cruise the Grand is a fine ship

yours Shogun

My daughter works with BA at the checkins, Ter 5 mainly and occaisionaly Ter 1. She'll make a few enquiries today at the airport regarding this transfer as unfortunately, she's never downstairs at the arrivals to see if theres any Princess Reps there in the morning.

Pam.. Just for the record. Theres no American companies flights arrive at T5.

Jimmy

I can only relate my own experience, but for what it's worth, I flew into Terminal 3 (with Virgin Atlantic) and the Princess reps and the shuttle bus to Southhampton picked us up there. From that terminal, we made quite a tour of the airport, hitting at least 2 more terminals--including Terminal 5, picking up passengers for the trip to the dock.

To piggy-back on Pam's suggestion, you might get in touch with your travel agent (if you used one) and ask what flight they would have put you on IF you were coming in on the same day as the embarkation; that might give you a clue as to the terminal and time that Princess would likely be waiting for other passengers.

Also, it might be worth it to persevere with Princess; sometimes you need to call multiple times to get an answer. I know that's what happened to me. Keep asking to speak to a supervisor. And if all else fails, maybe the hotel has a good concierge service, and they can get the answer for you once you're in London.

American Airlines is terminal 3 for sure.

Recently done this.

Also it was a little walk(was easy even with our luggage) over to National Express bus. We didn't do the Princess shuttle as we came in a day early. It was a really nice ride. At the bus terminal in Southampton, plenty of cabs to take you wherever you needed to go. There is a bus at around 9:30am.

Good train service from London Waterloo station to Southampton - might be an option.

http://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/london-waterloo-to-southampton-central

Taxis and bus link at Southampton Central for cruise terminals.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/site/faqs

We plan on staying at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel in London next year.. I have read it is close to Waterloo train station.

What is the best way to travel from Southampton to the hotel, National Express Coach and taxi from Victoria station or the train to Waterloo. Does the train have specials like the National Express. If I put in a trial date for the train it is 34.10/pp vs the coach 12/pp. Is there more than one train company from Southampton. We have taken the National Express before.

Pam.. Just for the record. Theres no American companies flights arrive at T5.

Jimmy

Jimmy, thanks. I guess I've only flown BA to LHR the last couple of years and assumed AA was in T5 as well since the two lines have so many shared flights.

Yes Pam, I couldnt work it out on the TV for the BA arrivals on teletext. They show all the flights that passengers on that particular BA flight are transferring to at LHR and the ground crews arrange transfer of passengers and luggage from that plane to the next one. The daughter does a lot of these transfer and I think its done by coach if times a bit tight.

Seems to work.

Docrock ... I'm still awaiting a reply from DD

Jimmy

We plan on staying at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel in London next year.. I have read it is close to Waterloo train station.

What is the best way to travel from Southampton to the hotel, National Express Coach and taxi from Victoria station or the train to Waterloo. Does the train have specials like the National Express. If I put in a trial date for the train it is 34.10/pp vs the coach 12/pp. Is there more than one train company from Southampton. We have taken the National Express before.

The bus is the cheapest deal - and it's a good reliable service.

I was quite shocked at the train prices.

Sorry about the delay but my daughter has been in T1 all weekend so couldnt make the necessary enquiries until this morning.

There havent been any Princess Reps at the airport all weekend as the next Princess changeover is Saturday 25th August. This came from the Information desk at T5 who informed her that there is always a Princess Rep in attendance on changeover days in the Arrivals lounge.

Enquiries at the Sofitel Hotel were a bit more positive and she, my daughter, was informed that guests transferring on the Princess charter normally receive a letter at reception from Princess informing them of the arrangements made on their behalf and instructions on joining the coach. They also said the coach departs from T5.

Have a great cruise, she's a 'Grand' ship.

We're on 21st September to the Med (when its a bit cooler)

Jimmy

Archived