TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

We were at Disney during Charlie. During the first part of the Hurricane, our hotel room door at Pop sounded and looked like it was going to fly away at any moment. (They told us to NOT put on the deadbolt.) Anyway, when the eye came through, some idiots went into the Pop Century pool. We had a pool view room and watched.

Maggie

I was at the Contemporary Resort at the same time. They gave us the option of staying in our room or in the ball room at the main building. We were at a scrapbooking convention with 350 to 400 other people and choose to stay in the ball room (figured if was safer than a room with no protection on the windows). :rolleyes:

The next morning we had 9:00am breakfast buffet reservations at Chef Mickeys. When we arrived the said that Goofy and Donald Duck would be visiting during our breakfast. When we asked where Mickey was, the cast member said that he was out in the park making sure it was safe for us to enjoy (many little kids were around listening). He then bent over and said in a low voice that he was actually having trouble getting to work due to the downed trees. :D To the delight of all, he showed up just as we finished breakfast. We did feel guilty enjoying ourselves while so many lost their homes....little did we know what was yet to come......:eek:

JUST A REMINDER FROM THE LAST UPDATE:

"IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO FOCUS ON THE EXACT TRACK DUE TO THE UNCERTAINTIES IN THE FORECAST AND THE FACT THAT ISAAC HAS A LARGE AREA OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH IT."

It can still shift back east (or not) - remain vigilant!

storm_09

Wow, just took a look at some of Key West webcams, hardly anybody in the streets, lol, a friend of a friend is the head chef at the Pier House there, he just had to cancel a wedding party of 150 guests, poor bride. :( Although invited down for a hurricane party! His condo has hurricane shutters so he can lock the place down in 15 minutes! They will get a lot of flooding though, even in a good downpour, parts of Duval can get 1-2ft deep.

Happy Sailing,

Wow, just took a look at some of Key West webcams, hardly anybody in the streets.... They will get a lot of flooding though, even in a good downpour, parts of Duval can get 1-2ft deep.

Can't believe how poor the drainage is in KW!

Gonna be a mess!

Watching the port of miami webcam, pouring rain as the cruise ships were heading out. It's only going to get worse as they try to return on Monday, that's if they make it back. From reading the popular hurricane blogs, the models have shifted east again. Some think the NHC will be shifting the cone even more by tonight and early tomorrow, guess the 11pm EST and 5am EST advisories are going to be key for a lot of folks.

From Carnival's website:

CARNIVAL ECSTASY – 8/23/12 departure

Due to unfavorable weather conditions expected in Half Moon Cay tomorrow, the Carnival Ecstasy will cancel the call into Half Moon Cay and will replace it with a visit to Freeport on Saturday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Watching the port of miami webcam, pouring rain as the cruise ships were heading out. It's only going to get worse as they try to return on Monday, that's if they make it back. From reading the popular hurricane blogs, the models have shifted east again. Some think the NHC will be shifting the cone even more by tonight and early tomorrow, guess the 11pm EST and 5am EST advisories are going to be key for a lot of folks.

Thanks for the updates and welcome to the party, Mr305!

The latest model does indeed show a nudge east.

205536W5_NL_sm.gif

Some models are pushing even further east as well:

storm_09

EXCERPTS FROM TROPICAL STORM ISAAC DISCUSSION NUMBER 15

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092012

500 PM EDT FRI AUG 24 2012:

- RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT DATA INDICATE THAT THE CIRCULATION OF ISAAC HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED THIS AFTERNOON...

- THE TRACK GUIDANCE MADE AN EASTWARD SHIFT SINCE THE LAST ADVISORY.

- THE ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR GENERALLY FAVORABLE FOR ISAAC TO STRENGTHEN INTO A HURRICANE OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO

- THE TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR SOUTH FLORIDA AND THE FLORIDA KEYS MAY HAVE TO BE UPGRADED TO A HURRICANE WATCH IF THE INTENSITY FORECAST IS REVISED UPWARD.

Turning into a real cliff-hanger!

From Carnival's website:

CARNIVAL ECSTASY – 8/23/12 departure

Due to unfavorable weather conditions expected in Half Moon Cay tomorrow, the Carnival Ecstasy will cancel the call into Half Moon Cay and will replace it with a visit to Freeport on Saturday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Freeport for Half Moon Cay? OUCH. Gonna be some unhappy people there. I understand the purpose of course, but I've seen thread with people saying I picked x, y, z cruise JUST for HMC. Guess they should know better hurricane season!

I'll be glad to see the 11pm come out and maybe some of today's indecision will stop! It's making me dizzy

I'll be glad to see the 11pm come out and maybe some of today's indecision will stop!

I notice the current track has it talking the looooooooooooong

way through Cuba - this is good and bad.

GOOD: Will break it up more and weaken :)

BAD: Makes it more unpredictable :mad:

Story at 11!

I lucked out on my cruise, we didn't get to enjoy Grand Turk due to rain and lightning. But the first half of the day at Half Moon Cay was great before it all headed down hill towards the end. I can understand why some folks lose it, it's beautiful there. Haven't heard anything good about Freeport, probably just as bad as Nassau.

Five o'clock update from Jax local news is saying current tract will lead it near Panama City if it doesn't waver too much, but the one statement made from them that is concerning is they think with the conditions that it's going to be STRONGER than the Weather Center is predicting at this point.

If it stays over Cuba longer, the storm will weaken over time. Now, if it parallels the coast but the center is over water, we could be looking at a Cat 1 or Cat 2 hurricane by the time it reaches Florida. Some of these storms can undergo rapid intesification in a short amount of time. All has to do with wind shear and water temperature, both which are favorable right now.

. Haven't heard anything good about Freeport, probably just as bad as Nassau.

IMO its much worse as its 7 miles into town where things like internet cafes exist.. too far to walk. There are a few bars and shops in the port, may have grown since I was last there.. but slim pickings.

Nassau is much better imo.

We just got back from our Pride cruise two weeks ago and had great weather. A little rain but nothing to ruin the cruise over. I'm really feeling it for those that have cruises leaving this weekend or on Mon. and for the passengers that are going to Freeport instead of HMC. But I'm sure if they keep a good attitude they will have a great time anyway. Better safe than sorry!

I'm glued to the Weather Channel because I'm originally from FL and I have family and friends there. We also own the house my folks live in so I'm keeping any eye on this guy Isaac!

Good luck to all who have to deal with this storm during the cruise. I will say a prayer for all of you to be safe and have a wonderful cruise in spite of it.

I wonder if that is why our flight to Orlando has been delayed? We are sitting in the airport and getting nervous since its the last flight out for the day.

Don't think so.. not raining at airport and not forecast to.

Weather here is extremely localized - can be clear here and raining

across the street - no joke!

Don't think so.. not raining at airport and not forecast to.

Weather here is extremely localized - can be clear here and raining

across the street - no joke!

It can be raining at my bedroom window and clear skies in my living room.

Looking forward to that 11pm update too. Although I STILL maintain we won't know anything real until he's across Cuba and into the Gulf. ;)

Archived