CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I'm looking at the Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island for a pre-cruise stay of a couple of nights. I'm sure the hotel is fine, so that's not an issue.

I've called, and they do offer shuttle service from Newark Airport and to Cape Liberty although it is provided by "the Hilton across the street" as the front desk person told me, and it has to be booked in advance.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel and used the shuttle service who can tell me if it was reliable? Or, maybe someone else has information as well.

Thanks.

Why would you stay at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island for a couple of days? If you are planning to sightsee in NY, it's super inconvenient. The hotel will shuttle you to the Staten Island ferry, but at their convenience, which means coming back you may have to take a cab back to the hotel to avoid waiting until the hotel shuttle is free to pick you up. The hotel is in a lovely corporate park, but it is isolated - no nearby stores and the only restaurant is in the Hilton Garden next door.

Tell us your exact dates, number of people, and what you want to do. Also, let us know if you can manage your luggage - there are public transit options via light rail and cheap cab to the port from certain areas.

Why would you stay at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island for a couple of days? If you are planning to sightsee in NY, it's super inconvenient. The hotel will shuttle you to the Staten Island ferry, but at their convenience, which means coming back you may have to take a cab back to the hotel to avoid waiting until the hotel shuttle is free to pick you up. The hotel is in a lovely corporate park, but it is isolated - no nearby stores and the only restaurant is in the Hilton Garden next door.

Tell us your exact dates, number of people, and what you want to do. Also, let us know if you can manage your luggage - there are public transit options via light rail and cheap cab to the port from certain areas.

I realize where the Hampton Inn is located. I have another viable option for getting to the port other than the shuttle, and getting from the airport isn't an issue as I won't have a schedule to keep that first evening.

There is a city bus that I can take to/from the ferry terminal which is fine as well. I would probably do that whether I could get the shuttle or not.

It is just me. I am a widow and going solo on the cruise although a CC friend will also be on the cruise. I won't have much luggage but more than I'd want to manage on public transportation. I thought about that as well.

I lived in New York for a few years some time ago and still get around by subway and bus quite well. I will not be sightseeing so much as visiting some areas I love. I was there with my adult daughter in May, but there were a couple of places I didn't get to visit, so now I can. The ride on the Staten Island Ferry will be a treat as I used to ride it just for fun.

I realize where the Hampton Inn is located. I have another viable option for getting to the port other than the shuttle, and getting from the airport isn't an issue as I won't have a schedule to keep that first evening.

There is a city bus that I can take to/from the ferry terminal which is fine as well. I would probably do that whether I could get the shuttle or not.

It is just me. I am a widow and going solo on the cruise although a CC friend will also be on the cruise. I won't have much luggage but more than I'd want to manage on public transportation. I thought about that as well.

I lived in New York for a few years some time ago and still get around by subway and bus quite well. I will not be sightseeing so much as visiting some areas I love. I was there with my adult daughter in May, but there were a couple of places I didn't get to visit, so now I can. The ride on the Staten Island Ferry will be a treat as I used to ride it just for fun.

Sure does sound like you have all your plans in order.........woo hoo......enjoy your time in the area and on the cruise....

Sounds like you're all set. So many folks who come into cruise have no concept about how big NYC is and many of them admit they've never been on any kind of public transit.

I fell in love with the city when I first went there as a 27 year old and swore I'd live there one day. I visited a lot for business and pleasure for several years and then finally fulfilled my dream Even at my advanced age of 71 I could easily live there again. Also, I've flown in and out of Newark more times than I can remember.

But, you're right. I would never recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites for someone with no knowledge of the city or experience on public transit.

You're sailing on a Sunday, so you can stay easily further west than the Newark area and bid a much less expensive hotel on Hotwire or Priceline. The hotel will be in a nice suburban location with a choice of restaurants instead of the highly urban industrialized area around Newark. A seven day cruise is right on the edge economically between parking at the pier and doing a park/sleep with the added port transportation. If you're interested, we can make suggestions about the areas a little further away to look at.

Looking for something 30 - 35 minutes from the port. Driving in the day before, staying overnight and parking at Cape Liberty. Suggestions?

Sure does sound like you have all your plans in order.........woo hoo......enjoy your time in the area and on the cruise....

Well, yes plans are made, but now I'm rethinking everything. I still don't think I could handle public transportation, but if I decided to stay in Manhattan what options would I have to get to Cape Liberty?

I know I can get the bus from EWR into Port Authority and a taxi to a hotel, but I'm just not sure about going to the port. Advice?

Thanks.

Edited by ILoveScotland

That's a holiday weekend. Hotwire has the Courtyard in Parsippany under named hotels for about $77 including tax. It's about an hour from Cape Liberty, but an easy drive on a Sunday morning.

If you feel you must stay closer, look at aa.com for Newark. The Hampton Inn is $94 incl tax and Country Inns is $114 incl tax. There must be an event at the Meadowlands in Secaucus because there is nothing reasonable in that area for your date.

Thanks for the "warning" of the traffic, location an taxis cost. I think we are going to travel from Va to Mount Laurel, NJ and stay overnight there. Only an hour and half drive and we will just bite the bullet and pay to park at the port. It will all work out about the same pricewise and we will not have to wait around getting out of town to catch some Sunday football on the way home.

Well, yes plans are made, but now I'm rethinking everything. I still don't think I could handle public transportation, but if I decided to stay in Manhattan what options would I have to get to Cape Liberty?

I know I can get the bus from EWR into Port Authority and a taxi to a hotel, but I'm just not sure about going to the port. Advice?

Thanks.

Carol is the queen of that....but for a non public option you would want a car service.....cabs dont have to go anyplace in NJ other than EWR. try carmellimo.com or dial7.com

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Thanks for the "warning" of the traffic, location an taxis cost. I think we are going to travel from Va to Mount Laurel, NJ and stay overnight there. Only an hour and half drive and we will just bite the bullet and pay to park at the port. It will all work out about the same pricewise and we will not have to wait around getting out of town to catch some Sunday football on the way home.

That isnt bad...the nj turnpike is easy on easy off ...and traffic there if any ...(weekends are not bad..) is mainly volume as opposed to chaos.

There are a bunch of choices..courtyard, towneplace suites (usually cheap on wknds) fairfield inn (meh) ..westin and aloft (sometimes they pretty cheap)...the hotel ML used to be a Marriott ...was never there...and it was not a marriott long...a few years...before that...something else...i would skip...

Annnnddd....a decent looking wingate inn, homewood suites i think and a couple others...

A few more exits up (exit 5 i think...the ones above are exit 4) is a fairly new...yearish old courtyard. those places are 30 or so minutes from me and i see them or stay in one...very often.

Hth

Meg

We stayed at the Springhill Suites last year, left our car for 12 nights. Do you think the Fairfield or Ramada Inn is better. We went thru trinity reservations. haven't made one for this year , but need to do it soon. NY Marathon is that weekend, and worried they might get booked. thanks

Springhill Suites is probably ok, but stay123 still has Country Inns for about $145 incl tax. IMO it's almost $30 cheaper and a better location - certainly easier to find. I would worry more about that cruise being a CC members cruise, which means many of the folks on it are more savvy about booking the park sleeps. Fairfield Inn is already not available for that date.

Carol is the queen of that....but for a non public option you would want a car service.....cabs dont have to go anyplace in NJ other than EWR. try carmellimo.com or dial7.com

Price the limos. Get a hotel. Then figure out the cost of your other options which would be:

1) Cab to Port Authority, bus to the airport ($16) and car service to the port ($50-60)

2) Cab to NY Penn Station, train to Newark Penn Station($2.50 for a senior), and cab to the port ($50-60)

3) Cab to Path at 32nd St or World Trade Center, Path to Hoboken or Exchange Place ($2), light rail to Bayonne ($1.05), and cab to the port ($10). The only issue is getting your luggage into the Path Station at 32nd St down the stairs. All the other transfer points have elevators or escalators. The light rail is a flat transfer-no stairs or steps. The cab in Bayonne may pick you up on the back street where there is a bench to wait.

I don't recommend taking the subway to Herald Square - it's a long walk underground to the Path Station. Same with the Chambers St transfer to Path at World Trade.

I found a very good rate for the Candlewood Suites (use priority club properties). DH wants to be able to catch the college football game that starts at noon on the Saturday before sailing. This hotel seems close to a sports bar called PJ Whelihan's. I guess I'm "taking one for the team"!

Thanks again for all the wonderful input from everyone on this board.

I found a very good rate for the Candlewood Suites (use priority club properties). DH wants to be able to catch the college football game that starts at noon on the Saturday before sailing. This hotel seems close to a sports bar called PJ Whelihan's. I guess I'm "taking one for the team"!

Thanks again for all the wonderful input from everyone on this board.

ahhhh...down in the Mt Laurel area? i have heard good things about Whelihans..there are a few of them....i THINK i know where both are...just pay attention... in NJ, as a rule, you can't make a left turn, we have JUGHANDLES so

you turn right to go across the road and go left....(ugh..)

IIRC that place is on the opposite side of i think route 73 (maybe 70--i get them mixed up...oops)-maybe near where a bunch of roads come together...not saying it is a pain..just pay attention...

:D:p

Springhill Suites is probably ok, but stay123 still has Country Inns for about $145 incl tax. IMO it's almost $30 cheaper and a better location - certainly easier to find. I would worry more about that cruise being a CC members cruise, which means many of the folks on it are more savvy about booking the park sleeps. Fairfield Inn is already not available for that date.

what she said. i think the FFI is usually cleaner..:eek: than the SHS....but i haven't stayed in either in about a year...

the CI is easier to find...and as carol said, the FFI is booked....yikes.

sorry..missed this...where are you coming from again???

We are coming from west of Harrisburg PA. Will go I-81 to I-78. Found a Fairfield Inn and Suites Edison-South Plainfield with free breakfast, free parking and in indoor pool for a good price. Several decent restaurants close by. Is that a decent area?

We are coming from west of Harrisburg PA. Will go I-81 to I-78. Found a Fairfield Inn and Suites Edison-South Plainfield with free breakfast, free parking and in indoor pool for a good price. Several decent restaurants close by. Is that a decent area?

hang on...let me see where it is......

should be fine....might be a little traffic here and there but that looks like a decent area..

Edited by megr1125

Mapquest directions from the hotel to the port. Anything we should be aware of? Will we be going to through the tunnel this way? Is there a better way?

Didn't include turn by turn directions from hotel, starting at 1-287 -

* Merge onto I-287 S toward New Jersey Turnpike.

*Take the I-96/New Jersey Turnpike exit.

*Take the exit toard New York and North.

*Merge onto I-95 N / New jersey Turnpike N toward Cars / Trucks / Buses.

*Merge onto I-78 E / New Jersey Tpke Ext E via Exit 14 toward 14a-14b-14c / Bayonne / Jersey City / Holland tunnel.

*Take Exit 14a toward Bayonne.

*Keep left to take the Ave E ramp.

*Stay straight to go onto Avenue E.

* Turn right onto E 27th St. *Welcome to Bayonne NJ, your desitination is 0.1 miles past Broadway. If you reach Avenue C you/ve gone too far.

Mapquest says 37 minutes from hotel to pier. Is that close to how long it should take us?

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by checkard

Hi Debbie - hope we cruise again together too. We did check out Country Inns but since we are parking at the port we don't need the parking. We could have driven the day of the cruise since we're less than 4 hours from the port but we like to start our vacation a day early by staying overnight. Plus the Fairfield was a lot less money

I have a friend who is currently on the Explorer of the Seas and returns to Port Liberty on Sunday. I am going to pick her up, leaving from my home in Bucks County PA. (north of Philadelphia). I have no idea what the debarkation procedure is for a one-time crew member (I think she's subcontracted on this gig) and I am really perplexed.

About what time might I expect her to be off the ship? I'm familiar with the area from years gone by (My dad was a tanker captain) but not the cruise terminal per se. It looks like its in a pretty populated area, can I just park on the street and wait for her call? How close can I get? Any suggestions on when to arrive and how to deal with this whole process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have a friend who is currently on the Explorer of the Seas and returns to Port Liberty on Sunday. I am going to pick her up, leaving from my home in Bucks County PA. (north of Philadelphia). I have no idea what the debarkation procedure is for a one-time crew member (I think she's subcontracted on this gig) and I am really perplexed.

About what time might I expect her to be off the ship? I'm familiar with the area from years gone by (My dad was a tanker captain) but not the cruise terminal per se. It looks like its in a pretty populated area, can I just park on the street and wait for her call? How close can I get? Any suggestions on when to arrive and how to deal with this whole process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pull right into the pier....follow around to the RIGHT...the traffic will be going to the left in the pier....meaning..follow signs towards the 9-11 memorial (they are SMALL)

you will park right next to the ship....the crew will leave from this gangway (it's the one i use when i visit the ship)

if your friend has a cell phone...have her call you....you will prob see her leaving.

not sure when disembarking crew leave...but when i visit i am instructed to arrive before 11. if you're there around 10 should be OK...she can likely remain on the ship/near the gangway.

it may not make sense now, but when you drive in it will. there will be a BIG electronic sign...make a RIGHT there, towards the dry dock....you'll see a guard booth or 2.....and people parked going to the memorial..it will make sense..