Big deal over non-refundable deposits??

Is the real concern here that people don't want to commit to particular cruise or holiday incase they get a better offer?

Yes! It seems to be a common practice to book/cancel/rebook. I'm sure it drives the TAs and booking agents mad.

Yes! It seems to be a common practice to book/cancel/rebook. I'm sure it drives the TAs and booking agents mad.

I'm sure people who book without full intention to commit would drive the TA's mad, and I know that you cant get refundable deposits for airlines etc, but in our case the non refundable deposit rule was ludicrous.

We decided after booking that we could stretch a little further for a balcony cabin, and just wanted to upgrade our cabin on the same sailing. Our TA told us we would have to rebook and lose our deposit. Luckily it was just a few days before the 150 days but if we wanted to upgrade our room within 150 days of sailing we would have lost $1600 in deposits. Now that makes no sense at all!! Had I booked through a US agent, they would have upgraded with no issue. (I checked).

Seems like differential deals are quite common these days and do not rely on your residential address...

Here's an interesting thread from the HAL board, where HAL are quoting dearer prices to past passengers, and cheaper fares to new customers..:eek:

Work that one out..:confused:

Seems like differential deals are quite common these days and do not rely on your residential address...

Here's an interesting thread from the HAL board, where HAL are quoting dearer prices to past passengers, and cheaper fares to new customers..:eek:

Work that one out..:confused:

Sometimes there are mistakes in the system, or rather they don't update special conditional rates. For example, normally when seniors rates exist they are cheaper. I've seen seniors rates set up that are cheaper, but then the cruise line still needs to sell and make a general special available to all, but don't update the seniors rates as it's available to all anyway. If you booked the seniors rate then you would pay more.

There's no link so it could be the same sort of thing here.

If you are referring to the threads with ACCC and price gorging in the title they are still there just search ACCC in the search box up top.

Thanks for that - I could have sworn it wasn't there the other day or then again I may have had a senior moment :)

We have only ever cancelled 1 cruise but that money was carried over to another cruise. Same ship but for a few extra $'s we get to go to other Australian ports as well.......we had paid $900 each deposit and with rebooking we had to pay another $900 each. We have tried to cancelle and rebook other cruises due to pricedrops but because we had made final payment we lucked out. Apart from a few short cruises we have to book far in advance due to my work. Really looking forward when we are lucky enough to get a really cheap cruise, last min. But as I always say you just have to be happy with what you pay in the beginning. Now we just cross our finger's for upgrades! :D

Archived