Why use travel agents or PVP's???

tweak89

Perusing the boards I notice a lot of posts complaining about problems in general and a lot of them about making changes to bookings completed by a travel agent as well as complaints about PVP's.

Is there any actual benefit to using them? I used to utilize TA's about 15 years ago when they were the best way to get bargains for travel. I have yet to encounter a TA these days that can do any better then I can with some online research.

So, why do/would you use them??

I don't use either, I do it all myself by phone or online. I believe with Carnival's policies, a TA is not able to offer a lower price. They can offer on board credit or other goodies, but my understanding is that they have done away with that. I don't have a TA friend or anything so if I did use a TA it would be one of the online places. If they aren't going to be able to give me a discount or anything, there really is no point in using them vs. just booking carnival direct. I have heard people having issues with TAs not doing things for them or charging fees and I don't want to mess with it. I like to book Early Saver and don't mind checking my own prices and filling out forms. So booking direct works for me. If I had a group booking that I did not want to coordinate, TA was offering something good, or Early Saver was not available, I might use a TA. I think it depends on what you want and whether you want to do your own work or have someone else do it (and trust them to do so).

So, why do/would you use them??

My PVP finds me cabins available that don't show up on the Carnival booking webpage. Comes in handy when booking multiple cabins together, or when you see the one you wanted as not showing available when it really is. My first Carnival cruise showed no 4j's available but she found 4 choices among different decks when none were showing as available. Got me a great room on my first Carnival cruise.

I'm using a TA now. Not because they get me any special deals. Not because I've never traveled before. Not because I've never cruised before. Not because I don't know all the ins and outs of travel. It's only because she's a friend of the family.

She does have some insider contacts. She does usually organize groups among her loyal clients. She can and does utilize those contacts to sometimes get us benefits that the normal TA or cruiser can't get on their own.

However, those limited bennies are not the sole reason we use her. It's the friendship we've established that we cherish.

We've been very satisfied with our PVPs. Our first one (used for 2 of our cruises) got a promotion, and the new guy assigned to us has been very helpful and efficient. I like the idea of having someone to go to with questions or if there's a problem. For our very first cruise we used a TA who was also great but, like you, after reading comments from some who are very dissatisfied with TAs, I wouldn't go back. I like the idea of communicating with someone who actually works for Carnival. I think if we lived closer to a port, I might take my chances with last minute bookings/deals, but for us cruising is a luxury we're only able to do once in awhile. We book pretty far in advance, but I enjoy having the time to look forward to it and chat with all the nice people here on Cruise Critic. :)

I like to use my PVP. I prefer to book directly with Carnival in case there are any problems and my PVP can answer my bajillion questions about each room I'm looking at and my questions about how each fare level works. She's also advised me on traveling policies in certain countries that pertain to my parties' specific needs.

Also, the Carnival website always crashes for me. Even when I try to book online, I CAN'T!

I just posted on another wall but I will post my two cents...

I use a TA for all my travel. I am new to crusing (going on 2nd cruise this Dec) but she can still find me the exact same deal as I can get on Carnival.com or through a PVP. I am a bargain hunter so I do quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger on major purchases. My particular TA does not have any hidden fees or charges for anything. She got me early saver rates on both of my cruises. The travel insurance is about 1/3 the cost of Carnival and her flight prices are unbeatable. I have used her for all inclusive vacations as well as domestic vacations. I have now convinced 2 other people I know (also bargain hunters. took them a while to convince them to try her) and they now have both booked vacations with her, one being a cruise. That person has been booking his own vacations for over 20 years and never believed in a "middle-man". I can obviously only speak about my TA. good luck ;)

My PVP finds me cabins available that don't show up on the Carnival booking webpage. Comes in handy when booking multiple cabins together, or when you see the one you wanted as not showing available when it really is. My first Carnival cruise showed no 4j's available but she found 4 choices among different decks when none were showing as available. Got me a great room on my first Carnival cruise.

Yes!

Our first cruise we booked on our own, but since then, we have had a wonderful PVP that we love. We actually kind of consider her a friend. :p She is extremely helpful and patient with our crazy number of questions and phone calls, as well as info on rooms, etc. that don't show up on the website. She even gives us advice about what ships she thinks we'll enjoy! Our PVP is a big part of our enjoyment in cruising with Carnival... she just makes it so darn easy.

Because we quality for an additional discount that requires eligibility verification, so I must book through an agent. I choose to book through a PVP at Carnival who already has all my credentials stored and verified.

The discount is worth it. Usually a few hundred dollars cheaper then booking online.

Interesting replies! Those of you that do deal with TA's, does it matter if they are local or not?

The TA I used back in the day was about 15 minutes from my house, so it was nice to go in and talk about what I wanted for any given trip.

When the internet discount sites exploded I pretty much stopped using my TA. I like to use Southwest, and they don't allow booking through agents and or sites like Orbitz or Expedia and the like. Those airline prices can make a big difference when trying to bundle a trip.

I know I was assigned a PVP after I booked my first cruise through the website, and I only contacted them once. They weren't all that helpful with what I wanted to try and plan so I pretty much let it be.

I just posted on another wall but I will post my two cents...

I use a TA for all my travel. I am new to crusing (going on 2nd cruise this Dec) but she can still find me the exact same deal as I can get on Carnival.com or through a PVP. I am a bargain hunter so I do quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger on major purchases. My particular TA does not have any hidden fees or charges for anything. She got me early saver rates on both of my cruises. The travel insurance is about 1/3 the cost of Carnival and her flight prices are unbeatable. I have used her for all inclusive vacations as well as domestic vacations. I have now convinced 2 other people I know (also bargain hunters. took them a while to convince them to try her) and they now have both booked vacations with her, one being a cruise. That person has been booking his own vacations for over 20 years and never believed in a "middle-man". I can obviously only speak about my TA. good luck ;)

Yes i just read that and found it very interesting. I got a chuckle out of your other post.:)

Bill

Have used the same TA for all our travel/cruises - she returns our calls promptly, answers our questions, handles price drops quickly and we have gotten some great perks (alas, soon to be no more)

She knows our habits and likes/dislikes and works with us.

If she ever leaves, we hope she lets us know to where!

I have seen everyone saying the TA's can't offer lower rates so I am sure this is true, but in my limited experience (only 3 cruises) the TA's have always found a better deal. I'm not sure what the difference was, but on the most recent booking the TA saved us about $300 when traveling with 6 people, and they gave us $150 OBC. This was for the same exact 2 cabins as the PVP quoted us.

Can anyone tell me why we may be seeing the difference - what am I missing?

Interesting replies! Those of you that do deal with TA's, does it matter if they are local or not?

The TA I used back in the day was about 15 minutes from my house, so it was nice to go in and talk about what I wanted for any given trip.

When the internet discount sites exploded I pretty much stopped using my TA. I like to use Southwest, and they don't allow booking through agents and or sites like Orbitz or Expedia and the like. Those airline prices can make a big difference when trying to bundle a trip.

I know I was assigned a PVP after I booked my first cruise through the website, and I only contacted them once. They weren't all that helpful with what I wanted to try and plan so I pretty much let it be.

I use a TA that is in my old home town. I now live a couple hours away and communicate via e-mail. Have not seen her in person in years actually. The people I have recommended her to live a couple hours away too. The TA's know that word of mouth is their best chance at growing their business and staying in business. I think with the almost rediculous amounts of online booking and discount sites the 'not so good' TA's have been weeded out and the good TA's remain in business.

You mentioned TA's not being able to book with southwest. My TA just did my flights last month for my cruise in december. Southwest to florida, Airtrain back to indiana. Cheaper than southwest and airtran on their sites. She got them for $204 roundtrip each person. Great deal i thought!

I have had a couple of good PVP's. I wish I could have kept them. I have always lost the ones I have had before due to them leaving Carnival (I find that out when I call the next time) or to a promotion within Carnival as was the case this last time,and she was very good! I got assigned a new one and couldn't get her to return calls.I just skip the PVP thing for now and just call and get the next customer service rep. to answer. I have been able to get done just what I needed that way since I have already done the research myself and it's much quicker than waiting for a return call which may not even come. With the ability to request fare drops online and submit future cruise certificates online as well, I really don't see the necessity of a PVP. Just sayin'.

I have seen everyone saying the TA's can't offer lower rates so I am sure this is true, but in my limited experience (only 3 cruises) the TA's have always found a better deal. I'm not sure what the difference was, but on the most recent booking the TA saved us about $300 when traveling with 6 people, and they gave us $150 OBC. This was for the same exact 2 cabins as the PVP quoted us.

How recent was your most recent one? This new pricing policy just went into effect in the last month or 2.

Bill

How recent was your most recent one? This new pricing policy just went into effect in the last month or 2.

Bill

maybe i missed it but what is the new pricing policy? I booked several months ago so I am not aware of a pricing policy adjustment.

Again, with my TA it was to the penny exactly what Carnival.com and a PVP quoted. I was actually suprised it was THAT exact.

I booked my 1st cruise (doing the double digit dance-woot woot) through a PVP and I love her! She was very friendly, extremely patient and really helpful. I have referred others booking the same cruise (and others) to her and as a result she has taken care of me in return. I'll definitely continue to book through her - good customer service goes a long way nowadays. And we're almost birthday twins, too funny. LOL

Bill

Just a few days ago.

$2593 through Carnival, $2235 through the TA for the exact same cruise and the exact same rooms (plus $150 COB).

It is for a cruise that is over 100 days away if that matters. I'm sure I am missing some distinction, but I can't figure out what it might be.

Sometimes the TA or his/her consortium has group space booked. Many times groups are booked at lower rates with amenities.

The group can be something as formal as "The Smith Family Reunion" or just reserved a bunch of cabins with the hope of selling them. Unless you ask you will never know you are sailing with "The Smith's". ;)

I just booked our first cruise(leaving in 2 days on Splendor), and after talking directly with Carnival, ended up going with a TA because they offered onboard credits where the Carnival contact wouldn't offer anything. Now the only thing I lost was price gurantee, but it appears the cruise price didn't change much and I needed adjoining rooms so upgrades were not really a concern.

Have used the same TA for all our travel/cruises - she returns our calls promptly, answers our questions, handles price drops quickly and we have gotten some great perks (alas, soon to be no more)

She knows our habits and likes/dislikes and works with us.

If she ever leaves, we hope she lets us know to where!

We have used the same local TA for over 10 years. She always answers emails,phone calls quickly--we get all discounts from ES.

She always gets our trip insurance from reputable company. We had to use trip insurance several years ago and she filed everything.

On a land trip to Aruba several years ago I left my documents at home--she faxed a copy to hotel in Aruba and all was good.

She is a gem and I would never use anyone else.:):)

Archived