Panasonic DMC-FZ200

c230k

• 1 month later...

Loved this thread and have been considering the FZ200 for some time now - budget consideration being one reason.

Just wondered if all y'all consider this bridge camera to be still relevant? Other than family photos and better low light capabilities than the small P&S I currently have (Olympus SZ-14), I am looking at this one for our Alaskan cruise in 9/2017. Looked at the FZ300, but it is still almost 2 Bens more......

been considering the FZ200 for some time now - budget consideration being one reason.

As the often-repeated cliche goes: "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" or words to that effect!

In three or so Alaskan cruise, we (me, son, wife) used the FZ200 and it's reach - both at wide and the 600mm long covered most of the bases - including wildlife at Denali!

Son still uses the Panny. Gets great results!

Just wondered if all y'all consider this bridge camera to be still relevant?

A thing is obsolete (any thing) when it will no longer do what you need it to do. If you can find one new with the warranty intact, it will likely serve as an excellent photographic tool for years to come.

If you have no need or can do without the advancements in the newer models, a couple steps back from the cutting edge can save you a lot of money.

Dave

Here is s good comparison between the Fz200 and Fz300.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ200-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ300

Also found this from users on their thought (drpreview.com)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3946999

Think after reading through the above you will have a better idea on which way to go. Also find a store that sell's both models and get a feel for the camera.

Tom :cool:

A thing is obsolete (any thing) when it will no longer do what you need it to do. If you can find one new with the warranty intact, it will likely serve as an excellent photographic tool for years to come.

If you have no need or can do without the advancements in the newer models, a couple steps back from the cutting edge can save you a lot of money.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. I see that BandH photo in New York City still have brand-new FZ 200s for sale. I've been looking at this bridge camera for about a year but since we booked our Alaskan cruise yesterday give me a little bit more of a reason to purchase this camera

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently returned from a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. During one hike in the Tetons above Jenny Lake, I went light on the camera gear, carrying only my Lumix FZ200. On the way down, a few folks were pointing uphill at some rocks, saying there was a yellow bellied marmot scurrying around. The little guy was some distance away and pretty hard to see with my eyes, but somehow the FZ200 found him nicely:

Yellow%20Bellied%20Marmot%201024x662_zps7dmn7trn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Have any of the FZ200 users on this site ever used the Silkypix photo editing tools.

There is an offer at the moment (closes tomorrow) to buy Silkypix Developer Studio SE at 3800JPY, which is AU50.00.

I have never used any photo enhancing software and are weighing up my options,

considering Photoshop or Lightroom.

I would appreciate your advice.

I used the silky pix developer suite that was free and it was just barely OK. I purchased Photoshop Elements 14 for $50 (USD) on sale and then uninstalled silkypix. I see no reason to ever use it again.

For me, the photoshop elements 14 was a one-time-buy. No $10 per month, or whatever, cost. It does what I want with no continual cost. I guess for serious people, the $10 per month plan might be reasonable, but it's not for me, yet. After wearing 2 cameras for 2 weeks during our May cruise and Seattle visit, I have taken very few pictures since then.

I used the silky pix developer suite that was free and it was just barely OK. I purchased Photoshop Elements 14 for $50 (USD) on sale and then uninstalled silkypix. I see no reason to ever use it again.

For me, the photoshop elements 14 was a one-time-buy. No $10 per month, or whatever, cost. It does what I want with no continual cost. I guess for serious people, the $10 per month plan might be reasonable, but it's not for me, yet. After wearing 2 cameras for 2 weeks during our May cruise and Seattle visit, I have taken very few pictures since then.

Thanks Flatlander321. I will look in to your suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
I've recently returned from a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. During one hike in the Tetons above Jenny Lake, I went light on the camera gear, carrying only my Lumix FZ200. On the way down, a few folks were pointing uphill at some rocks, saying there was a yellow bellied marmot scurrying around. The little guy was some distance away and pretty hard to see with my eyes, but somehow the FZ200 found him nicely:

Yellow%20Bellied%20Marmot%201024x662_zps7dmn7trn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Well done PERFECT!!!! 600mm 2.8 sure helps

• 1 month later...

Hello Group!!!

I just purchased this camera for my 13yo daughter for the holidays.

I'm hoping she likes it..

She is very interested in photography and has an 'eye' for it.

I didn't want her to use a standard point and shoot, etc. or use her phone all the time - hoping this will get her off of it ... lol ;) find a nice hobby.

We are also traveling next June to Alaska, so I figured this was a good way for her to get really involved.

As I said, i'm hoping she likes the camera - the salesman said it was a good starting point for her, hoping it was his own personal experience.

I did go into the store to purchase a RX100, i hope i didnt make a mistake.

Go to this web site

http://www.grahamhoughton.com/download-section/

At the bottom of the page you will see a free download for this book -

The Panasonic Lumix FZ200 User's Manual eBook format revised 27th April 2014

This book will help in learning the FZ200, written by the God Father of the Fz200 Graham Houghton. You can also buy a hard copy, Great and easy way to learn out to get the most out of this camera.

Added not Graham as a ton of videos on using the FZ200.

Great choice and you will enjoy.

The above post is absolutely correct. Graham's book explained the camera to me perfectly.

This camera is a terrific camera for your daughter. She can start out on auto and work on things like composition, understanding the effect of light, and even beginging video. Then she can take a course, or read the book, or watch the videos and learn how to go off auto, and shoot with the other settings. I did that for several years and now I am moving up to a professional level DSLR, which is quite a challenge after the FZ200.

I still will use this camera on my travels where it doesn't make sense to take a large camera and lenses.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...