Your time dining

rosco 272

Because of last minute booking lately my wife and I normally get stuck with late seating. This cruise Sept.29, Carnival Dream we have your time dinning just curious any opinion on this seating.

I'm new to c.c. but have enjoyed 10 cruises since 2000 with 70 days afloat. With excitement about to start our 30 day count down.

Love the Itinerary! Hope to make new friends.

Jerry n.m.b. S.C.

Because of last minute booking lately my wife and I normally get stuck with late seating. This cruise Sept.29, Carnival Dream we have your time dinning just curious any opinion on this seating.

I'm new to c.c. but have enjoyed 10 cruises since 2000 with 70 days afloat. With excitement about to start our 30 day count down.

Love the Itinerary! Hope to make new friends.

Jerry n.m.b. S.C.

I chose YTD because I did not want to be on a schedule. I also did not want my daughter to miss any activities she was interested in at the kids clubs because of our dining schedule.

You will be MANY varied opinions on it... seems people either love it or hate it.

Have only done YTD on our last (whatever) cruises. LOVE it. Our cruise is about us having time together and dining is part of that. Have met fabulous people at the tables next to us and have requested the same server on some cruises, but the choice to interact is up to us and that is what we prefer.:D

We've had only good experiences with it on 3 cruises. We kept the same waitstaff each time and always went between 6-6:30 and never had a wait. When there is a wait they give you a pager and call you when your table is ready. I think if you go later around 7 it's peak time and you can expect a wait.

Is there a certain section for Your Time Dining?

You are given a certain dining room, but its up to you where you want to sit. We were given the choice, and choose the same section/servers every night. They do have 1st available, we choose to wait for our servers.

We have booked YTD on our upcoming cruise. We did it on NCL Epic 2 years ago and worked great for us but we were travelling with a group of 13. This time it is just 3 of us, my parents and myself. Do they give you a choice of sitting with other people? Or will it always be just the 3 of us?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

There is always a certain dining room, and depending on what ship you are on there will be a certain section. On the Dream, for example, it was on the main level of one of the dining rooms, while the upper level and both levels of the other dining room was for scheduled seating. We love your time dining. It is so flexible. I have cruised several times with your time dining and have only been given a pager to wait for a table once, and that was when we needed 12 people seated together. Even when it is just my husband and myself, we always select your time dining.

We like YTD because of the flexibility it gives us. Last cruise we ate in the MDR only twice and had to wait about 1/2 hour both times. Just read a review today where the patron said the waiter told her to come between 8 & 8:30 as she most likely wouldn't have to wait. Even though we have had to wait, we still prefer YTD.

My husband and I did it in December on the Valor and will be doing it again this December on the Liberty. We absolutely loved it. The longest we waited was probably 15 minutes on elegant night. All of the other nights we got seated right away.

You had a choice if you wanted to sit alone or with others and if you wanted the same servers or not.

If you go close to the start of the regular dining (earl/late) you will be able to see the waiters perform which is usually before dessert is served.

You can order a table for four and ask that the remaining seat be removed. I travel with my parents and we do that all the time. They will do that for the rest of the cruise.

Do they give you a choice of sitting with other people? Or will it always be just the 3 of us?

Thanks!

Yes you can share with others. Just tell the hostess when you arrive. Sometimes you get seated quicker because less people prefer to share.

We have done ATD since it started and only had to wait more than 5 minutes one time and that was because of a computer problem. We received a plate of petit fours as an apology.

I've cruise twice now and did that both times. Loved it!!! First time was just my husband and I - second time with a group of 7. We maybe waited a minute max both cruises for a table. I was sold on it when walking out a number of evenings during my first cruise we saw people standing in line wrapped around the atrium waiting for the late seating. No plans to ever try a designated seating and will always do YTD. One thing to note - during our group cruise, even though we had different waiters a few times, they still seemed to know preferences... my guess is the staff tracks it some how - or are just incredibly psychic!!

Archived