Need to book tomorrow. Husband recovering from stroke, so how does it 'look'?

dcsam

My husband had a serious stroke mid June. Between the hospital stay, rehab and in-home care, the past few months are a blur. It's been a long road to recovery. But it's all good!! I'm not complaining! I'm actually ecstatic! The guy's alive and is making terrific progress! He can get around with just me being close by, but uses a wheelchair for longer distances. I'm a first grade teacher, and the stroke occurred 2 days before the end of last school year. Between therapies and appointments and just needing to assist him, the school was very kind in letting me use some of my sick leave (for 2-3 months) to help in his recovery. I'd love to take an easy cruise out of Seattle. No plane to catch... just hop on board and relax and do 'therapy' in other, more meaningful ways (i.e., massage, walks around the promenade, work-outs in the gym). I put a hold on a cruise, but need to pay tomorrow. Soooo... how does this 'look'? We live in such a small town, and the word is bound to spread. I shouldn't give a darn what people think, but I have to go back and work with them. So does this sound legit? Sound like a better way to get 'therapy' rather than the ol' 3 hours, 3 days per week? Sure sounds good to me. I would have preferred to do Seward to Vancouver for the scenery, but Seattle to Seattle certainly would be more comfortable for him. Thanks in advance for your input.

C :-)

So sorry to hear about your husband's stroke, but glad that he is making such excellent progress. You are truly a blessing to him.

I really don't understand your question. Are you concerned what others will think if you take your husband on a cruise? If that is what you are asking, I don't think you have any reason at all to be concerned. Getting away will be excellent therapy for him....not only physically, but mentally as well. Go for it!!!

My husband had a serious stroke mid June. Between the hospital stay, rehab and in-home care, the past few months are a blur. It's been a long road to recovery. But it's all good!! I'm not complaining! I'm actually ecstatic! The guy's alive and is making terrific progress! He can get around with just me being close by, but uses a wheelchair for longer distances. I'm a first grade teacher, and the stroke occurred 2 days before the end of last school year. Between therapies and appointments and just needing to assist him, the school was very kind in letting me use some of my sick leave (for 2-3 months) to help in his recovery. I'd love to take an easy cruise out of Seattle. No plane to catch... just hop on board and relax and do 'therapy' in other, more meaningful ways (i.e., massage, walks around the promenade, work-outs in the gym). I put a hold on a cruise, but need to pay tomorrow. Soooo... how does this 'look'? We live in such a small town, and the word is bound to spread. I shouldn't give a darn what people think, but I have to go back and work with them. So does this sound legit? Sound like a better way to get 'therapy' rather than the ol' 3 hours, 3 days per week? Sure sounds good to me. I would have preferred to do Seward to Vancouver for the scenery, but Seattle to Seattle certainly would be more comfortable for him. Thanks in advance for your input.

Are you planning on using more sick leave for this? That probably wouldn't go over too well.

My input--what I think about this--is pretty meaningless; what does your husband's doctor think about this idea? If he/she is OK with it, I would do it if your husband agrees and wants to do this.

I agree with Langoustine. You should consult with a physician before leaving. Given his past medical condition you should consider travel insurance. There may be issues with getting this coverage give the recent stroke.

I'm sorry I don't want to sound like a downer here, but a few weeks a 21 year old, former cheerleader from Toronto took a vacation to Europe without any insurance. While on vacation in Croatia she slipped on a catamaran she fell hitting her head and is in a coma. Her family have had to raise over a $100,000 just to get her back to Canada. It's costing her family thousands of dollars day to keep her alive on lift support in Croatia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192036/Anna-Leibenko-Former-cheerleader-stranded-coma-Croatia-slipping-yacht.html

Please think about all angles before you make a decision like this. I have not doubt you both certainly deserve a break but make sure you are safe.

I agree with Langoustine. You should consult with a physician before leaving. Given his past medical condition you should consider travel insurance. There may be issues with getting this coverage give the recent stroke.

I'm sorry I don't want to sound like a downer here, but a few weeks a 21 year old, former cheerleader from Toronto took a vacation to Europe without any insurance. While on vacation in Croatia she slipped on a catamaran she fell hitting her head and is in a coma. Her family have had to raise over a $100,000 just to get her back to Canada. It's costing her family thousands of dollars day to keep her alive on lift support in Croatia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192036/Anna-Leibenko-Former-cheerleader-stranded-coma-Croatia-slipping-yacht.html

Please think about all angles before you make a decision like this. I have not doubt you both certainly deserve a break but make sure you are safe.

That's a very important point. Travel insurance, I think, would be a must. However, it may be very expensive, if not unavailable.

Assuming the docs ok the trip.... go! Spending time with him like this has got to be some of the best medicine there is. You are lucky to have him back and mostly able.... don't take that for granted (not saying you are....) and do something for you and him. What neighbors and townsfolk think of what you are doing wouldn't bear on my decision in the slightest.

Wow! You're prompt! That's fast feedback!

We would definitely get insurance (cancel for any reason? pre-existing conditions????? Any suggestions for insurance companies and type?).

Today, he told his physical therapist he was considering a cruise, and she said to 'go for it. It would do ya good'. Truly, he'd be getting more rehab on this trip than he does here. And we're both in need of a break. He was a bit reluctant (at first) because he'd be using the wheelchair for much of the time (He's not use to being so dependent on others) But we'd also bring a walker and cane and practice with those too. The gym on this ship is amazing too (weights, yoga balls, bikes...). After watching what they do in rehab for the past few months, I'm fully competent to help him with his rehab - we work on it at home too. He's still rehabing, and I'm still working with him - just in a different, and much needed environment.

We would definitely get insurance (cancel for any reason? pre-existing conditions????? Any suggestions for insurance companies and type?).

Today, he told his physical therapist he was considering a cruise, and she said to 'go for it. It would do ya good'. Truly, he'd be getting more rehab on this trip than he does here. And we're both in need of a break. He was a bit reluctant (at first) because he'd be using the wheelchair for much of the time (He's not use to being so dependent on others) But we'd also bring a walker and cane and practice with those too. The gym on this ship is amazing too (weights, yoga balls, bikes...). After watching what they do in rehab for the past few months, I'm fully competent to help him with his rehab - we work on it at home too. He's still rehabing, and I'm still working with him - just in a different, and much needed environment.

Check out tripinsurancestore.com for insurance. Even if you don't buy there, you can easily compare prices on the website for insurance and options.

Go and enjoy.... you both need it! :)

With all due respect to your physical therapist, you should get a medical opinion before taking a cruise. There may be limitations to your husband flying, airlines do have conditions that may prevent him from flying. Many years ago my uncle suffered a stroke. He wasn't able to fly for several months afterwards, the Dr.'s would not permit it.

You could try HAL's insurance, but I do know almost all the insurance we've seen in Canada does have some clause about pre existing medical conditions. PLEASE read it carefully before you agree to it.

With all due respect to your physical therapist, you should get a medical opinion before taking a cruise. There may be limitations to your husband flying, airlines do have conditions that may prevent him from flying. Many years ago my uncle suffered a stroke. He wasn't able to fly for several months afterwards, the Dr.'s would not permit it.

You could try HAL's insurance, but I do know almost all the insurance we've seen in Canada does have some clause about pre existing medical conditions. PLEASE read it carefully before you agree to it.

Agreed that medical clearance should absolutely be sought; insurance comes in many packages and prices and options and with reams of fine print and should be researched. Flying is not a factor though as she stated in her OP.

The OP stated no flying if they go out of Seattle. I wouldnt worry one bit about what others think of you cruising. The only thing I would be concerned about is what the Dr thinks. Call and ask if the Dr feels he is healthy enough to go. As far as insurance make sure you buy the same day since you are most likely paying in full. Look for a policy with good medical coverage and evac coverage in case something were to happen. Then go and enjoy your cruise!

What a great idea with a lot of opportunity to build his strength and balance. Are you able to get a room suitable for his wheelchair? Even though he's not in it all the time, it would be good to have the ability to get around in a chair because there could be some tiring days. I'm thinking bathroom access. What's important is what is best for your husband and you, so I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Those who matter will understand your priorities and those who can't understand, don't matter. I definitely agree with those who say check with his doctor and make sure you have good insurance that includes evacuation. We're healthy, and we always get it. I have no idea if the stroke affected your husband's reaction to any "travel" medicine like for seasickness. You could get advice from the doc and/or pharmacist about any requirements unique to cruising or travel that you would like to have with you.

Your husbands PT may have some good ideas about what to take with you. Cane, walker, exercise bands, thermal coffee mug? Since you already live northwest, you know what kind of clothing to take to make deck walks comfortable. I hope this all works out for you.

Back to your question about sick time usage. I assume you used 2 days at the time of the stroke and the district said take 2 more months in the fall before you return to the classroom to care for your husband.

As a retired business executive and now involved in an official capacity in public schools, my recommendation is get out in front of this and be proactive. Talk to your principal and lay out all the issues for her/him. Seek his/her counsel/permission on this issue. Forget perception of your peers, do what is right for your family, but communicate your proposed actions. The principal will likely encourage you to go on the cruise for the reasons you outline and will run interference for you in the workplace. Win/win for all parties.

I'm again assuming enlightened management on the part of the district and your leader (principal).

You will have to check with both the doctors and the insurance companies to find out about possible coverage.

Cancel for any reason policies should not be a problem. Most of these policies allow you to cancel up to 48 hours before the trip. You do not get back 100%. Each policy is different. Some paying only 50% back.

As far as a policy to cover pre-existing conditions goes, you MUST BE HEALTHY ENOUGH travel on the day you make your FIRST trip deposit, even though you may not be traveling for months. (This you would need to verify with his doctor) Also, with most of the plans you need to buy the insurance within 7-21 days of putting down your FIRST trip deposit in order for pre-existing conditions to be covered. Be aware of the deadline for the policy you purchase.

I second the recommendation to go over to the trip insurance store website. You will learn a ton about trip insurance if you click on the various links. They have great phone support and live chat. Personally, I prefer the live chat feature because I can print out my conversation. If you go over with them your situation, they will be able to make some recommendations about plans that would be best for you. Their prices are the same as buying direct from the insurance companies. I like having a middleman to help me weed through and compare plans. I have used them for many trips, but fortunately have never needed to file a claim.

Thank you for posting this. So many people do not believe there is a need for travel insurance. This is a good example of why medical transport home coverage is so important.

While "getting away from it all" seems like a good idea, you should consider how hard it might be on both you and your husband. What seems easy and a good routine at home may turn out to be harder on a ship. Also, you do have to be concerned about appearances. Being given extra consideration by your employer to take care of your husband and then going on a cruise suggests that maybe he is not that sick. Just some things to consider.

Are you planning on using more sick leave for this? That probably wouldn't go over too well.

You should definately apply for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) which gives you 12 weeks of leave (per rolling calendar year) to care for either yourself or a family member without penalty or reprisal. They won't pay you for the time but you can use your own leave or accept dock without loss of your benefits (you would be charged to cover any benefit premiums you would not be covering from your wages while on dock) or being put at risk of job loss due to "sick leave abuse", nationwide as this is a Federal Law. Would be a great idea to have his Doctor put in writing that the cruise would be an integal part of his therapy for recovery.

My input--what I think about this--is pretty meaningless; what does your husband's doctor think about this idea? If he/she is OK with it, I would do it if your husband agrees and wants to do this.
I agree with Langoustine.

You should be checking with your husband's doctors and checking with your own employer if you are intending to take time off from work for this, as well as checking out what insurance coverage you both would have on such a cruise if anything were to happen to either of you.

It does not make the slightest difference what some strangers on an internet message board think of the idea.

We certainly send best wishes for your husband's speedy recovery, but beyond that, we are not the ones to be giving you advice on the medical or legal implications of what you are proposing to do.

I get the impression that your real concern is what your co-workers will think. Rest assured, they will think the worse, especially since you’ve been out on sick leave for a while. Expect them to gossip behind your back. Also, don’t expect a lot of support if you ever need to take time off in the future for another medical emergency.

If you are that concerned about your co-workers, then maybe you should consider a cruise on your next school holiday. That also gives your Hubby more time for his recovery and rehabilitation.

If I'm wrong and you're not concerned about what your co-workers think, and if your Hubby is Healthy enough to cruise, Go For It!!!!

So sorry about your husband.

But you better check your contract and check with your union. When your school board granted you a leave -- it was for you to take care of your husband. They may not like the idea of your going on a cruise. They may feel that if your husband is well enough to cruise, then he is well enough to take care of himself at home and that you should return to work.

Archived