What is the difference?

cw2go

Hello I am sailing on the NCL Breakaway this June to Bermuda. I am very excited to see Bermuda but when talking with my husband he asked why...:confused:

I really do not know why other than I love ALL vacations and have always heard raves reviews on Bermuda. So this brings me to my question, I have done my research and know what we will explore....but... what is the BIG difference between Bermuda and the Caribbean islands? Yes all have a beach, palm tree's, fort or historical land mark, bevi of the locals choice ect ect...but why is Bermuda such a favored destination?

What are the particular differences that I can tell my husband so the next time he asks I am way better prepared....hahaha! :p

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Side note we have toured Europe, Alaska, plenty of the Caribbean and most of the east and west coast of US. We chose this trip because for the first trip in years we will drive rather than fly to departure port. Honestly the airlines have taken their toll on my patience and budget. Rather spend more on a new ship than a crappy flight anyday!!!

I like to go to Bermuda because the people are helpful and genuinely friendly, the island is clean, the beaches are beautiful, there is much to see and do beside the beaches, and the island is not a tourist trap. I've never been approached by a panhandler, and have never seen a street vendor. I feel safe when out & about.

You are made to feel as a welcome guest in their home, not someone who is just to be tolerated.

SBtS

Hello I am sailing on the NCL Breakaway this June to Bermuda. I am very excited to see Bermuda but when talking with my husband he asked why...:confused:

I really do not know why other than I love ALL vacations and have always heard raves reviews on Bermuda. So this brings me to my question, I have done my research and know what we will explore....but... what is the BIG difference between Bermuda and the Caribbean islands? Yes all have a beach, palm tree's, fort or historical land mark, bevi of the locals choice ect ect...but why is Bermuda such a favored destination?

What are the particular differences that I can tell my husband so the next time he asks I am way better prepared....hahaha! :p

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Having travelled extensively in the Caribbean and lived here for 15 years, I can say there is no comparison between Bermuda and any island in the Caribbean. Bermuda is much more civilized, cleaner and safer. You never feel like you're in a third world country.

The weather is more temperate too. June is the Caribbean can be sweltering, but here it will predictably be in the low 80's, probably the best month of the year weather-wise.

I like to go to Bermuda because the people are helpful and genuinely friendly, the island is clean, the beaches are beautiful, there is much to see and do beside the beaches, and the island is not a tourist trap. I've never been approached by a panhandler, and have never seen a street vendor. I feel safe when out & about.

You are made to feel as a welcome guest in their home, not someone who is just to be tolerated.

SBtS

While reading the original post, I began to phrase a response, but when I got to yours, you pretty much beat me to the punch! My similar words were going to mention how upon arrival in most of the islands we've been to, we are greeted with lines of cabs and tour busses, with natives out there competing with each other to take you somewhere, anywhere, sometimes trying to change your mind on where to go, often in their best interests. Bermuda is so laid back and their transportation system is so good, you can do without the cabbies, though they are there for you and are justifiable given your personal circumstances.

We are beach people, and Bermuda has some great ones, with varying characteristics to match yours. For instance, there's a small, quiet beach within walking distance of the ship, for a quick dip. Then there's a choice of the beautiful, pink beaches ranging from the most popular to some quieter ones. Then there's the choice of surf or no surf, and some out of the way options if you'd like some peace and quiet. On our 1st cruise to Bermuda, we asked the crew staff where they go, and we found a great, "local" beach near the aquarium, right on the bus line, that even had some small caves surrounding the small beach where our grandkids were able to play and get out of the sun.

Then there's the restaurants and pubs where you can spend some quality time, and of course many shopping options for those so inclined. Fun in the Sun can be found all around the island, and there seems to be something for everyone. Though not really a tourist trap, there's plenty of things to do, and of course for the golfers, Bermuda has some great courses.

SBtS

This really does sum it up quite well.

We agree with the other posters - plus like that we have time to explore without feeling rushed to get back to the ship. Having three days allows us to get a better feel for the "real" Bermuda, not just the tourist sections.

In addition to "all of the above", the size, topography and transportation options led a certain "charm" that is lacking in Caribbean islands. The bus and ferry system is SO user friendly, convenient and affordable. It's my favorite way to "tour" the island. Bermudians onboard are friendly and easily approachable and we've struck up conversations about what's new on the island, where to go, what to see, etc etc. Also many companies have their corporate world headquarters there (tax reasons) and that lends to a much more corporate professional flare to Hamilton (the capital city). We've been cruising to Bermuda at least every couple of years since the late 60's, and have been there probably about 25 times or so, to date. For us, leaving from NY/NJ is effortless and spending 3 or 4 days in Bermuda is wonderful and restful trip, rather than hitting several ports in a week and trying to do as much as you can in each port whilst only there from 9-ish to 5-ish. Spending some evenings ashore and being able to get on/off the ship 24/7 is a treat, too. A one week trip to Bermuda is a very different experience to island hopping for a week and this in itself lends a very different personality to a Bermuda cruise as opposed to a multiple island Caribbean cruise.

Thank you for your question! I've been to the Bahamas, San Juan, Mexico and the D.R. as well as Bermuda (on the NCL Dawn last summer...my first cruise!) and I never really thought about the differences. Bermuda was absolutely no stress! As posted earlier, no street vendors, no beach vendors, everyone we came in contact with was completely polite and non-invasive. I felt we could go where ever we wanted to go and not have any worries about what we would have to 'battle' against as far as unwanted vendors etc. We had a very peaceful 2+ days in Bermuda!

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Bermuda! :)

Yes, all of these posters hit the nail on the head! Last year we did an Eastern Caribbean and Bermuda cruise. Bermuda was just the best. Clean and none of the riff raff. I think part of the reason is that it is just alone out in the Atlantic and more costly to get to. So nice that we decided to go back next week! Hopefully the TS will bypass Bermuda and we will be able to visit.

There is no rush getting back to the ship, you can truly explore the island. You can get on and off the ship all day and night. The public transportation is easy and reasonable. Since the ship is tied to the pier for three days it is great for people with motion sickness. Bermuda is one of those cruises that people take year after year, stress free.

Thanks in advance,

Patty

Side note we have toured Europe, Alaska, plenty of the Caribbean and most of the east and west coast of US. We chose this trip because for the first trip in years we will drive rather than fly to departure port. Honestly the airlines have taken their toll on my patience and budget. Rather spend more on a new ship than a crappy flight anyday!!!

I will let my signature speak for itself!:D

Marco, you've been to Bermuda 25 times, what is the best time to visit? I'm looking at May or early June. I'm not a fan of hot weather and want to avoid a sailing with lots of kids. Fall concerns me because of hurricane season. Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth

I have been to Bermuda for the last four years on cruises. Two of them stopped for one day and two stopped for the three days. We are celebrating out 50th Wedding Anniversry in 2013 and have reservations for our family to go for a three day stop on NCL Dawn on July 26th. I want my whole family to experience Bermuda. Bermuda is the best place to rest and relax or run yourself ragged doing things. What ever you choose for your vacation, you can do it on Bermuda. I agree whole heartedly with all of the above posters. Bermuda has to be experienced to know what we all love about this beautiful island. Enjoy your trip and when you return, both you and your husband will know what we are all talking about. You will fall in love with the island.

Archived