Fisherman Island Grain Terminal

gone2c

I'm a bit confused now ;) are you going to be in Brisbane on Boxing Day or Monday 28th? Your earlier post indicated Boxing Day.

Monday 28th is Boxing Day Holiday as the 'real' Boxing Day this year falls on a Saturday.

hellyes, I guess then that your assumption about the traffic on 28th makes sense, as many would have already headed out of Brisbane by then. My concern would be getting stuck in traffic returning, as there are likely many heading back to town to go back to work on Tue 29th.

I would likely stay on the ship for the day (been to Bris many times) or take the shuttle into town and take a river cruise/visit Southbank.

Ahh yes. I didn't think of the 28th being the Public Holiday. I just assumed the OP would be in Brisbane on the 26th.

Certainly by the 28th the traffic would have abated somewhat but there are still plenty of day trippers. You could certainly do a trip to Mooloolaba but it would be risky in the event of very heavy traffic (likely) on the way back to to Brisbane. It's one of those situations where you could breeze through in both directions without a hitch but if there is an 'incident' on the return trip or big traffic jams then it all goes pear shaped.

Regarding beaches close to Brisbane - I'm no expert as we are fairly recently ex-Sydney, but as far as I know there aren't any but there is an artificial beach at Southbank which is fairly popular and the waterfront at Manly is quite pleasant. There is a large outdoor swimming pool there which I think is free and plenty of cafes along the waterfront. It's also not that far from Fisherman's Is. You would need to take a taxi to get there though.

I hope you find something to do on the 28th. :)

Hellyes .... What everyone else has already said heading to the Sunshine Coast might just create problems for you. You could catch a taxi to the airport and hire a car ... The car rental counters will be open in the domestic terminal. If you are looking for a beach close to Brisbane have a look on the Internet at Redcliffe or Bribie island... On a good run Redcliffe is no more than 30 minutes from the airport and Bribie island is a little bit more.

Otherwise the shuttle to the city or just stay onboard. The grain terminal is just that a working terminal, very embarrassing and backward for cruising these days!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Hellyes .... What everyone else has already said heading to the Sunshine Coast might just create problems for you. You could catch a taxi to the airport and hire a car ... The car rental counters will be open in the domestic terminal. If you are looking for a beach close to Brisbane have a look on the Internet at Redcliffe or Bribie island... On a good run Redcliffe is no more than 30 minutes from the airport and Bribie island is a little bit more.

Otherwise the shuttle to the city or just stay onboard. The grain terminal is just that a working terminal, very embarrassing and backward for cruising these days!!!!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I'm feeling like the prophet of doom here :eek: but I wouldn't risk Bribie Is either as it involves returning on the Bruce Hwy/Gateway Motorway too. Even though you are still a fair bit closer to the port than if you went to Mooloolaba, you could still run into the returning traffic. Getting off Bribie Island itself could also cause problems in the event of very heavy traffic. AS I mentioned before, you might just cruise through but then again, you might not - especially on that particular day. I wouldn't risk it personally.

Even though the Grain Terminal is a very uninspiring location, if you don't want to go into the city, then a day on the ship looks to be the best option.

Wow, standing in the sun at Airlie Beach for 45 minutes waiting for a tender isn't good. We've been there 3 times on ships and never had to wait anywhere near that time. The local large catamarans were deployed in addition to the ship's tenders and they take hundreds, but getting off them at the ship can take a while especially if the water is a bit rocky. :eek:

HI,

My cruise will be docking at the grain terminal in February for the day and I was wondering if it is possible to be picked up there. I am planning on spending the day with family and they will pick me up there. If not I could possibly get the transfer into the city and meet them there but would prefer to be picked up at the dock.

Chez

HI,

My cruise will be docking at the grain terminal in February for the day and I was wondering if it is possible to be picked up there. I am planning on spending the day with family and they will pick me up there. If not I could possibly get the transfer into the city and meet them there but would prefer to be picked up at the dock.

Chez

No problem . My sister drove out and met us at the terminal.There is only one road in and then signs direct you to the terminal . There is a huge car park .We met her at the entrance to the terminal building.

No problem . My sister drove out and met us at the terminal.There is only one road in and then signs direct you to the terminal . There is a huge car park .We met her at the entrance to the terminal building.

Thanks for that David!

They were charging about $28US for the shuttles with RCL so you're a bit better off there.

That said, with 4 of us and having been there before it wasn't worth anywhere near the money to take the shuttle to the city so just stayed onboard for the day.

I doubt it's 10 minutes walk away unless they mean the walk through the gangway and terminal. Usually the buses are right out the front, the same place as taxis and anyone else.

Edited by The_Big_M

Thanks for the input guys. We'd just have like to head up to Mooloolaba for a stroll along the shops and beach day - a favourite spot of mine.

I had hoped by the Monday 28th public holiday most people would be off the roads already at their holiday destinations haha. Any close by beaches that are more accessible?

I live near Mooloolaba ,and there is no way in Hell that I would risk getting back to the ship on the last day of the public hols before everyone goes back to work you could take up to four hrs on the road between Mooloolaba and Brissy that day....

Been there done that on a normal Sunday not even a public hol.

We were on the way to Bris airport...Which meant we Missed our flight. Had to stay at the airport hotel with lots of others in the same "boat".

You don't want to miss your boat

Edited by jannandjohn

Ended up doing a spot of sales shopping on Queen St and back to the ship for a nap. And our lovely view of a giant pile of coal :p

Glad to see you found something to do off the ship for a while. What did the shuttle cost you?

I think it was $15pp. It was a good efficient service so can't complain. So much potential for day trips from Brissie, I sincerely hope they figure out a way to get bigger ships docked at a more convenient spot so people can get further afield without 2hrs bring chewed up in ship transfers.

Seriously thinking I will just talk my daughter into coming and picking us up. She lives in Ipswich. If I promise her we will go shopping, I am sure she will agree. LOL

• 6 months later...
They were charging about $28US for the shuttles with RCL so you're a bit better off there.

That said, with 4 of us and having been there before it wasn't worth anywhere near the money to take the shuttle to the city so just stayed onboard for the day.

I doubt it's 10 minutes walk away unless they mean the walk through the gangway and terminal. Usually the buses are right out the front, the same place as taxis and anyone else.

Was it 28$ one-way or return?