Royal Carb. rip offs

petrellad

It could be considered poor customer service to not give you all your options. They probably don't since they probably can't verify current local rates and options and don't want to be accountable.

They could just say there are other ground options once you disembark.

Or do like I do and research this before you leave home. Even after all my research, I found price differences, but close enough to know what I was dealing with and enough to know I was still saving money.

I couldn't even call it poor customer service. Do you think McDonalds lets you know what the price of Burger Kings burgers are? Or does JCPenny's tell you the price of the same shirt at Kohls? They want your money, and hope their price is the most attractive while you are at their stores. Better yet you know exactly what you are getting from McDonalds vs. Burger King if you have a preference to one. Same with Royal transfers, you know what you are getting and at what price.

Even better yet. A gallon of milk in a grocery store is $2. Get that same gallon of milk at a gas station on your way home and it will be $2.75. Sometimes convince is the name of the game regardless of price!

"Newbie" or not, I don't feel much sympathy for anyone that plunks down thousands of dollars for a vacation and does not research/plan thoroughly.

There are so many people that live near me, that fit that statement, they just want to be totally taken care of, and get upset when stuff happens, they maybe amateur travelers, and or complainers, as we know travel of any type is not a exact science, so when stuff happens they get up set.

Personally I feel $69 is a fair price for transportation in Europe, even here in the US for certain areas needing that distance to travel

I do feel for cruise "newbies" -- particularly those who have not found cruise critics! If you don't do your research and don't know the ropes, you can incur a lot of expenses that you could easily otherwise avoid.

I agree with OP, that the RCCI transfers are pricey. We just got back from a Baltic cruise. In Copenhagen, the RCCI transfer for 1 person, 1 way was $37.00 to airport or central train station. Our family of three took a cab from our hotel (which was 2 blocks from the train station) to the port on emarkation day for the equivelant of abour $27.00 US total. On debarkation day, we took a cab from port to our hotel (outside the city) for $40.00 total.

Similarly in Tallin, a couple of people we knew purchased shuttle tickets at $7.00 each (two-way) not knowing that the old town area was just a few blocks away. The ship's announcement indicated that it would be a 45-minute walk into port. Our ship was docked next to the NCL Sun and you did need to clear both ships to get a view of the port, so I held a place for us in line for shuttle tickets while DD and DH "investigated". They were able to figure out where we had docked on a map we had brought with and the distance to walk to the edge of the old town area was not much longer than my walk to my parking place at work! Not 45-minutes.

So it can be easy to make expenditures that you could otherwise avoid -- I would not "flame" the OP for his/her choice of words. "Rip off" or simply "buyer beware" It does seem that the ship's staff is not as forthright with some of the options as they may have been in the past -- about five years ago in Athens, the port shopping director, actually led a group to the subway station and gave very detailed instructions as to how to purchase a ticket and use the trains. I don't know if it is a corporate influenced direction or if it is just a change-over in the staff. But from a "customer satisfaction" perspective, RCCI might get some more satisfied (and thus more likely to return) customers by simply providing some information. Long-term ROI vs short-term ROI.

Except the OP has been a member of CC since 2008. Sorry, no sympathy.

We also sailed from Civitavecchia, June 2012, earlier this year. The Port of Civitavecchia only has 27/28 taxi's,(can't just remember - we sailed GS and spoke to concierge about the cost of transfer to the Airport). This is the reason why lots of taxis were pre-booked and, generally speaking, the taxi drivers want 'long distance' fares not short rides to the local station.

I agree RCI do 'over charge' for transfer options; however, the alternative are not always better hence why RCI have the prerogative to charge what they like for the service they offer.

Strange the vitriol aimed at the original poster.

Whilst businesses are there to earn money - providing the same service as others at a huge mark up is simple case of ripping off the consumer. When done in the hope said consumer is ignorant of the alternatives it's plain dishonesty.

The original poster has given advice that many newbies (of which I'm one) may find of interest. Thanks are due rather than climbing on pedestals and belittling him for an honest view on the world given with a desire to help others.

So on that basis - Petrellad, I thank you. Lets have a few more like you who are happy to pull together to help others rather than pick their pockets for personal gain.

I do feel for cruise "newbies" -- particularly those who have not found cruise critics! If you don't do your research and don't know the ropes, you can incur a lot of expenses that you could easily otherwise avoid.

But they seem to have no trouble finding Cruise Critic when it come time to complain.

Whilst businesses are there to earn money - providing the same service as others at a huge mark up is simple case of ripping off the consumer. When done in the hope said consumer is ignorant of the alternatives it's plain dishonesty.

The original poster has given advice that many newbies (of which I'm one) may find of interest. Thanks are due rather than climbing on pedestals and belittling him for an honest view on the world given with a desire to help others.

So on that basis - Petrellad, I thank you. Lets have a few more like you who are happy to pull together to help others rather than pick their pockets for personal gain.

If the OP had used a different title such as.... Here is what I observed at the Port of Civitavecchia regarding transportation that may be of interest to other cruisers.... this thread would have a completely different tone.

If you look at the OP's other posts you will see why folks are not cutting much slack - he knew to ask about alternative land transportation options in other ports a year ago.

Plus - does the tone have to be so nasty? When a person starts a topic spouting vitriol that is what they tend to get in return. Don't wave the cape if you don't want to be gored. :eek: ;)

If you look at the OP's other posts you will see why folks are not cutting much slack - he knew to ask about alternative land transportation options in other ports a year ago.

Plus - does the tone have to be so nasty? When a person starts a topic spouting vitriol that is what they tend to get in return. Don't wave the cape if you don't want to be gored. :eek: ;)

Great line!:D

The "Rip Off" topics always get to me. I just returned home from NY where we attended the US Open. You want rip off - $6.50 for a cola in a "souvenier" cup. The souvenier cups used to be similar to the refillable drink cups on RCCL. Now they are just large plastic cups with tennis pictures and US Open logos.

$9.00 for a beer in one of said souvenier cups. Cheeseburger? $9.00; hotdog - $5.00, salad - $11. Baseball hat? $30! :eek:

The list goes on and gets higher every year.

It is a special event with lots of people - 30,000 or more per day who want to take home a memory and also get lunch. Is it a rip off? Depends on what you are willing to pay.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but come to Augusta and check our prices at the Masters. Best prices for any major sporting event.

OP, you mentioned 1 item, and that was transportation. How is RCI ripping you off in other areas, as you did not give any specifics, just a broad statement?:confused:

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but come to Augusta and check our prices at the Masters. Best prices for any major sporting event.

OP, you mentioned 1 item, and that was transportation. How is RCI ripping you off in other areas, as you did not give any specifics, just a broad statement?:confused:

I have never been able to score tickets to the tournament, but have been to the practice rounds a couple of times. I won the lottery this year and have tickets for the Monday practice rounds in 2013!!! The pimiento cheese sandwiches are great and you can't beat the price! :D

Supply and demand.

If there is a demand for private transportation or excursions, it will of course be provided for $$$$. Many people are more comfortable going on organized adventures!

I am more of an independent traveler which is why we didn't cruise for a lot of years, when we go ashore now we "go it alone" as we consider ourselves to be pretty savvy and totally at home in a lot of the places we go.

What I think is more of a rip of is the photographs, now smile please:D

I too was in Civitaveccia last week on board Liberty of the Seas. I didn't need a tour or a taxi and do you know why?

Because the Port of call information delivered to you cabin DOES tell you there is a free shuttle service to the town, just like it tells you there is a 5 Euro shuttle at Lavorno which takes a few minutes and drops you off in the middle of the town, (2 Euros for crew members).

But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good rant.

As has been said a little homework before your cruise not only whets your appetite it helps you make informed descisions. But in this case RCI did tell passengers about the free shuttle.

To be fair they also tell people their tours are expensive but then try to justify why that is via the cabin TV.

Henry

I have never been able to score tickets to the tournament, but have been to the practice rounds a couple of times. I won the lottery this year and have tickets for the Monday practice rounds in 2013!!! The pimiento cheese sandwiches are great and you can't beat the price! :D

Good for you. I am a Tournament Official, and love it. BTW, we get to play the course each May.:D:D Hope you have good weather.

Good for you. I am a Tournament Official, and love it. BTW, we get to play the course each May.:D:D Hope you have good weather.

We have friends who live in Augusta who has often voluteered to do transportation and participate in the Mayor's reception every year and usually have one of the players stay in their house. Gary Player stayed there for several years, I think they have been hosting Ben Crenshaw the last couple of years. They are completely consumed with the tournament the weeks leading up to it.

We have friends who live in Augusta who has often voluteered to do transportation and participate in the Mayor's reception every year and usually have one of the players stay in their house. Gary Player stayed there for several years, I think they have been hosting Ben Crenshaw the last couple of years. They are completely consumed with the tournament the weeks leading up to it.

Don't mean to be rude but what does all this have to do with the topic ? You might want to start a golf chat forum

Wow, I can't believe all the comments I received. Some people on this board should take a deep breath and relax. I'm just informing anyone who is interested. Someone said it was sad that I didn't want to spend $15. That's not the point. Have a nice day.

Archived