Gratuity advice

sammysetra

Lyn,

Of course your gifts fall into a different category as they were both desired and welcome - things that staff couldn't get themselves. Those types of gifts make sense, but as you said - cash is king.

We too have befriended a nice young man from Myanmar who did not work directly with passengers

That was the little friend I gave my candy to

He was so nice even on shore he came over to chat to us

If you hear from him again please say hello to him from us

Lyn

:p

Playing trivia is not the point here - giving "trivial gifts" to the staff as a reward for their hard work may be. :rolleyes:

These people work very hard to support themselves or their families and to do that they need money, not unsolicited gifts they may neither want, need or even like.

That is what I do anyway, YMMV.

You missed my point completely.....I was saying "Don't patronise me" ;)

I gave a "gift" on one of our Panama trips

The waiter who we liked & (sat in his section often) had mentioned he liked good strong coffee & what they had on the ship was not his taste

He mentioned he had his own coffee pot ..french press where he would make his own morning coffee

He was not able to get off in Cartegena so we picked up a bag of Columbian coffee while we were buying beans for ourselves

Precisely the kind of gift I was talking about......you've just illustrated it perfectly....thank you! :)

Hi paul,

Was the crew member you mentioned named Aung? He was such a delight! Took care of us as if we were his only responsibility. We even received a personal message from his mom thanking us for being so kind to him. We were so pleased with him. One of our many pleasant memories of that cruise was his service and friendliness. He was so appreciative of our tips!

K

Hi paul,

Was the crew member you mentioned named Aung? He was such a delight! Took care of us as if we were his only responsibility. We even received a personal message from his mom thanking us for being so kind to him. We were so pleased with him. One of our many pleasant memories of that cruise was his service and friendliness. He was so appreciative of our tips!

K

Hi K,

Haven't seen you around for a while - glad you're back.

His name was Ngwe (Min Tun). He was a Marine biologist with a masters degree but had no work at his university in Yangon. He worked in the stairways - cleaning and polishing forever. He taught us a few words in his native tongue. There were others from Myanmar and Aung could have been one of his friends.

Always smiling and as nice as can be - a kind and gentle soul :)

After spending a day in NYC he was like a kid in a candy store!

Paul

Archived