The Official Visiting Santa Barbara Thread

Thanks for the thread. We are from San Diego, so we have been to Solvang and the SLO area.

We booked the cruise for a chance to sail Golden and to go to SB. We will have just had 2 grandchildren, and will be able to get away then.

I have walking issues so we planned the ships trolley tour. Not sure what the weather will be like in late Oct, so this seemed like a safe bet. :)

Pat

Hi Pat,

If it's anything like most years, October is quite sunny and warm. The trolley is a good tour, and it offers a nice way to learn about the rich history of the area. If they don't explain it when you're driving around, ask the guide about Canon Perdido, Quarantina, Salsipuedes, and Indio Muerto Street's naming origins.

The trolley tour through the cruise line picks up right in front of the Sea Landing where the tenders drop off passengers. If you're looking for the Electric Shuttle that runs along Cabrillo Blvd., it also picks up right by the Sea Landing. If you are taking the Trolley Tour independently of the cruise line, it picks up at Stearns Wharf, which is about 1/8 of a mile away from the Sea Landing.

Glad to help. Also, you asked about restaurants--there are a number of restaurants in the harbor area and on Stearns Wharf. I like Eladios at the corner of State and Cabrillo and DW loves their granola and yogurt. Sambos is also good, and has free WiFi (big thanks to Princess Patches for that information). There are so many good restaurants in town, it's hard to recommend just a couple, but those two are both very close to the Sea Landing.

Hi Pat, sorry we will miss each other. I am joining Larry & Cherie and a friend of ours is joining me and this will be her first ever cruise so she is excited. John & I will depart for Sydney March 15th, 2014 for our long awaited Australia cruises and we are taking our daughter also.

Gay

Edited by Desert Cruizers

• 1 month later...

I am into wine, and saw that don't need to go to Santa Ynez for tastings. Where in town is good for tastings? We're on April 2013 Century saling, with no excursions listed. May just rent a car to Solvang, but sounds like a hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

yes yes yes ! Just what I've been looking for ! Thanks for contributing to this thread.

I will be visiting Santa Barbara for the first time in April and it sure sounds like I need to see the mission and courthouse. Princess sells a trolley shore tour for $35 which last only 1 & 1/2 hour and visits the mission, courthouse, Presidio, and a large fig tree. Is that enough time ? Sounds as if I might need to do the hop-on/hop-off trolley huh ? I do love to take my time to take photos.

thanks again !!

Edited by Thoth

Especially because you'd like to take your time with photos, I would recommend the hop-on, hop-off trolley that isn't through the ship. Also, right across the street from the Mission is a rose garden which may provide some nice photos as well as a nice picnic spot.

Especially because you'd like to take your time with photos, I would recommend the hop-on, hop-off trolley that isn't through the ship. Also, right across the street from the Mission is a rose garden which may provide some nice photos as well as a nice picnic spot.

thanks. I do look forward to seeing the area.

yes yes yes ! Just what I've been looking for ! Thanks for contributing to this thread.

I will be visiting Santa Barbara for the first time in April and it sure sounds like I need to see the mission and courthouse. Princess sells a trolley shore tour for $35 which last only 1 & 1/2 hour and visits the mission, courthouse, Presidio, and a large fig tree. Is that enough time ? Sounds as if I might need to do the hop-on/hop-off trolley huh ? I do love to take my time to take photos.

thanks again !!

That Moreton Bay Fig Tree is the largest in the country and a sight to behold. Do not miss it!! If you take the trolley on your own you can save money as well as hop on and off the trolley, which is not allowed on the cruise ship chartered trolley. If you buy two or more tickets online they are just $16.50 each ($19 for one ticket). Such a deal!! Just google Santa Barbara Trolley. Enjoy your visit to our fair city.

That Moreton Bay Fig Tree is the largest in the country and a sight to behold. Do not miss it!! If you take the trolley on your own you can save money as well as hop on and off the trolley, which is not allowed on the cruise ship chartered trolley. If you buy two or more tickets online they are just $16.50 each ($19 for one ticket). Such a deal!! Just google Santa Barbara Trolley. Enjoy your visit to our fair city.

Thanks ! I do look forward to visiting your fair city. I am the type who will likely pre-order my trolley tickets simply out of excitement. Sounds like a bummer that the Princess trolley will not permit hop-on and hop-off.

We'll be there in April with the kids, ages 5 and 18 months. Best suggestions for activities? The kids are happy with a park or beaches or really anything where they can run around. I would love to hear more about the zoo, although our itinerary goes to San Diego and we may do the zoo there.

We'll be there in April with the kids, ages 5 and 18 months. Best suggestions for activities? The kids are happy with a park or beaches or really anything where they can run around. I would love to hear more about the zoo, although our itinerary goes to San Diego and we may do the zoo there.

There is an old fashioned carousel just a few blocks walk from where the tender drops you off that I am sure the children would enjoy. It is at the corner of Cabrillo and State. The same park with the carousel also has a nice playground for the kids. Stearns Wharf has the Ty Warner Sea Center which is geared toward younger children with hands on exhibits. The wharf is right across the street from the carousel.

You can take the waterfront shuttle for 50 cents to the zoo. The waterfront shuttle runs along Cabrillo. The zoo is right across the street from the beach with ocean views and a delightful little train that runs around the grounds. it is small and manageable by comparison to the San Diego Zoo, especially for younger children. There is a lot for children to do right along the waterfront.

There is an old fashioned carousel just a few blocks walk from where the tender drops you off that I am sure the children would enjoy. It is at the corner of Cabrillo and State. The same park with the carousel also has a nice playground for the kids. Stearns Wharf has the Ty Warner Sea Center which is geared toward younger children with hands on exhibits. The wharf is right across the street from the carousel.

You can take the waterfront shuttle for 50 cents to the zoo. The waterfront shuttle runs along Cabrillo. The zoo is right across the street from the beach with ocean views and a delightful little train that runs around the grounds. it is small and manageable by comparison to the San Diego Zoo, especially for younger children. There is a lot for children to do right along the waterfront.

This is super helpful, thank you so much!

thanks for the information !

I forget the name but weve stopped at a farmers market store behind the Fess Parker Doubletree where you can get some wonderful goodies. Varieties of specialty olives, nuts, wines etc. Many local products; dark choc dipped biscotti, almond stuffed olives, smoked pistachio nuts, fresh squeezed orange juice... We always stop here when travelling up the coast.

I forget the name but weve stopped at a farmers market store behind the Fess Parker Doubletree where you can get some wonderful goodies. Varieties of specialty olives, nuts, wines etc. Many local products; dark choc dipped biscotti, almond stuffed olives, smoked pistachio nuts, fresh squeezed orange juice... We always stop here when travelling up the coast.

You are probably referring Tri-County Produce grocery store on Milpas. There is also an actual farmer's market where local farmers sell their goods but that rotates location throughout the week.