Grand Cayman

southernmama

We just booked parasailing through Carnival. It has an 8 am start, so we will get off the ship early, and then the company takes you to 7 mile beach when you're done. They come by once an hour supposedly to see if you're ready to go back to the ship. The excursion has great reviews.

We are still undecided on what to do in Grand Cayman. We mainly wanna snorkle and have some relaxing beach time. First cruise ever. Thanks for the help.

You can either take your own snorkel gear or rent some on 7 mile beach. We walk to the right of the pier, catch a van and tell them to take us down to 7 mile beach. You can rent snorkel gear for $5-10. They also have other rentable water goodies or chairs. There is a restaurant, Calico Jacks where you can eat outside, buy food & drink (beer/bucket for $20), we bought beer, 2 margaritas and conch fritters and rented 2 snorkels and roundtrip taxi for 3 for $65 total. CJ's also has showers. The vans are always around to take you back to town.

Happy Sailing,

I agree with above poster.... go to Stingray city it is awesome. A once in a lifetime kind of experience. You will love it.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Whatever you decide... Have a great cruise. They are so great, you too will become addicted. lol

If you have never been to Grand Cayman before, Stingray Sandbar is a must. A lot of people like Rum Point Beach.

Definately... Stingray city is a must see. A ride out there would include stops at a couple reef areas for snorkeling. Online you can find several choices for tours.( for a little more you can book one through the ship )

If you want something even cheaper... then by all means take a taxi or bus to one of the many beaches a lot offering nice snorkeling not far offshore. Online research, as well as on this site will get you all the info you will need to make you decision.

...but if it is your first time go to stingray city...you wont regret it.

Ian

Another vote for Stingray City! We went in '08, and we're going again this month! We booked through Moby Dick (google them for their website). They are reasonable, you don't pay til that day, they pick you up at the dock, and bring you back. We will also get in some snorkeling time w/them also. Their boats are much smaller than the same excursion you will get through the ship, which means less crowded, more interaction w/the guides & stingrays, and snorkel time. And definately cheaper.

They will drop us off at 7 mile beach or in town by the dock to shop & eat - whatever we decide.

Stingray City is unforgettable! An absolute must!

I'm glad to see Stingray and Rum Point pop up as faves. I was wondering the same thing as OP, although I've been to GC once before. We did the turtles and Hell and knew we didn't want to do that again. I don't even remember Stingray City being an option 20 years ago, so I'm really looking forward to that. We're planning an excursion that does both SC and RP:D

You could always do a trip to Hell (yes, there really is a place there named that and it looks like something out of a Dante painting) and if you've never done it Stingray City....sandbar out in the water and the stingrays come by to visit....they've been doing it since the early fishermen would clean their daily catch in that area. If you've never had a stingray swim up your leg you've missed something in life. Amazing creatures as long as you don't step on them....stingray shuffle anyone?

Man, that water looks beautiful!! We were going to wing it in Grand Cayman, but we may have to look into the Stingray City! :)

It is a must do. Such an experience. It is very easy to book through a private excursion. Much cheaper too.

We are snorkeling with Moby Dick, and then headed to 7 mile I think.

They are good they will drop you off at Calico Jacks after and always taxis waiting to take you back to the ship.I think you may be going to stingray city too (if not I would do it once)

We were in Grand Cayman 1 month ago. You MUST contact Nativeways and do the Rays, Reef and Rum package. You get to go to the Stingrays, snorkeling and visit Rum POint. It was the highlight of our entire cruise.

WE loved the Stingray City plus snorkeling tour from Captain Marvin's. They were great and their office is about a block from the pier. Heartily recommend for all age groups. Plus - you get 7 years of good luck if you kiss a stingray. Grandson has about 28 years accrued.

We are still undecided on what to do in Grand Cayman. We mainly wanna snorkle and have some relaxing beach time. First cruise ever. Thanks for the help.

Southernmama -

We have never been to Grand Cayman either, but are going on the Legend the week of October 7th. We have booked a tour with Island Marketing for an all day private boat tour because it had such good reviews. There are 9 of us so it came out to be about $75.00 each, but it includes 6 hours of time and we are going to stingray city, starfish island, tubing, snorkeling and whatever else we want to do.

I know I will be doing a review when I come back so be looking for it - it will be by GeorgiaMomof4 and will have Legend in the title.

You also might want to check out the ports of call section and go to the Grand Cayman board - but like most others say here - sounds like us first timers need to get to stingray city for sure. I'm a little scared, but I'm willing to give it a try!

I ABSOLUTELY loved the stingray city and rum point beach tour through Carnival!! It was the best excursion and I would highly recommend it. You should be aware that Cayman is a tender port. So, if you are not on a Carnival excursion you will have to wait in a rather long line until all the people who booked a Carnival excursion take their tenders.

This excursion picks you up and transports you to a marina where you meet the captain and get on board the boat. This boat first takes you the Stingray City and the captain and his assistant were awesome! Then, you get back on the boat and head to Rum Point Beach. I loved this beach!! It was beautiful and had great food (food/drinks here are extra). Then you head back to the marina.

You got plenty of time at each place & it was well worth the money. Hope this helps!

I haven't been yet but I am booked to do the Kittiwake & Reef snorkle offered through Carnival. I was really suprised that I was able to book through Carnival for the same price that I would have been able to book with an independent tour company. It looks like a really fun excursion.

Archived