Sailing through Scandinavia - A Long Review with Lots of Pictures!

jstducky

I would like to see some picture of the Great Belt Bridge. :)

Can't believe I didn't post them!

Here's 2 pictures of the Great Belt Bridge (unfortunately, by the time I got good clear pictures, we were alredy so far away from it! I have pictures I took while we were right under it, but it's just a blur of gray!)

845.jpg

850.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We are doing a 12 night Scandinavian and Russian Cruise on the Brilliance leaving on June 20th. I found your review extremely valuable in helping us plan our trip. Your photos are breath taking!! We also have an aft cabin on deck 10. Our 3rd time in a very aft cabin and will always try to book them if we can. Might try to contact you sometime for some more info, if you wouldn't mind:confused: My e-mail is kcollier@insightbb.com. I'm trying to research as much as possible, but it is beginning to be an overwhelming task!!!:eek:

Thanks again for your knowledge...

Thank you for this amazing review as we start our research into this cruise for 2014.

Would you mind sharing your flight plans and what you did to book them, which airline, etc? I see you are from CA too and it is something I worry about quite a bit. Trying very hard to minimize the hassle. I am looking to fly out of LAX with my family and we were hoping to have a nonstop, although I am only seeing flights into Amsterdam, sadly. Katherine

Thank you so much for this review! We are doing a similar cruise through NCL in May (we have 2 days in SPB and a day in Warnemunde). I have really been debating whether or not to book a tour for Tallin, Stockholm and Helsinki or try and do it on our own. We are traveling with DD2 and my parents, so I don't know if I should put everyone through public transportation or just book a tour.

But anyway, your review has made me even more excited than I already was - and your pictures were amazing (and made me hungry!). :)

Thank you so much for this review! We are doing a similar cruise through NCL in May (we have 2 days in SPB and a day in Warnemunde). I have really been debating whether or not to book a tour for Tallin, Stockholm and Helsinki or try and do it on our own. We are traveling with DD2 and my parents, so I don't know if I should put everyone through public transportation or just book a tour.

But anyway, your review has made me even more excited than I already was - and your pictures were amazing (and made me hungry!). :)

we are going to use alla for st pete & tallin for sure - possibly for helsinki too - alla gets right back to you with thorough answers !

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. We are doing a 12 night Scandinavian and Russian Cruise on the Brilliance leaving on June 20th. I found your review extremely valuable in helping us plan our trip. Your photos are breath taking!! We also have an aft cabin on deck 10. Our 3rd time in a very aft cabin and will always try to book them if we can. Might try to contact you sometime for some more info, if you wouldn't mind:confused: My e-mail is kcollier@insightbb.com. I'm trying to research as much as possible, but it is beginning to be an overwhelming task!!!:eek:

Thanks again for your knowledge...

My apologies for not responding sooner. I've been away from CC for awhile as too much other stuff was going on in my life! But, now I'm back as I have to start preparing for my cruise this summer to Asia. I'm sooo behind!

Anyhow, you are more than welcome to contact me if you have any questions. I'll send you an email to the email you listed above, and you can shoot any questions to me that you have and I'll do my best to answer.

Thank you for this amazing review as we start our research into this cruise for 2014.

Would you mind sharing your flight plans and what you did to book them, which airline, etc? I see you are from CA too and it is something I worry about quite a bit. Trying very hard to minimize the hassle. I am looking to fly out of LAX with my family and we were hoping to have a nonstop, although I am only seeing flights into Amsterdam, sadly. Katherine

Hi!

traveling such a far distance from California too Northern Europe is difficult, definitely. And prices won't be cheap.

And I already see that prices this year are much more than they were last year for all airline tickets domestic and international, and I already through it was quite expensive last year.

As far as my flight plans, our cruise was roundtrip out of Copenhagen, but we figured since we were going that far, we might as well make a trip out of it and stop somewhere on the way and spend some time. So we decided to spend 1 night in Amsterdam prior to going to Copenhagen for the cruise. And then we would spend one night in Copenhagen after the cruise before we came home.

So, we were looking for a multi-city ticket - LAX to AMS (Amsterdam), AMS to CPH (Copenhagen), and then CPH to LAX to get home. If you've never purchased a multi-city ticket, it actually isn't any more expensive (generally) than buying a roundtrip ticket in and out of the same city.

In the end, we end up buying our tickets through an online ticket website rather than buying from the airline directly since it was cheaper. I just went back and double-checked, our tickets were purchased on March 27, 2012. I forget exactly what date we flew, but it was like the last week in July, 2012. I had been monitoring ticket prices since about January. Checking them every day, as soon as the prices of the tickets dropped on March 27th, I purchased them right away. At this point, we had already booked the cruise and made our deposit.

Especially if you are looking for cheaper airfare, there is generally no possibility whatsover of a non-stop flight. So, we flew from LAX to Minneapolis on Delta Airlines. We had about a 1.5 hour layer over in Minneapolis before catching a KLM flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. We arrived in Amsterdam on Friday morning around 8 am. We got to the hotel and went out exploring the city right away. Best way to combat jet lag, just start walking. We crashed that night. We had a 10 am flight the next morning on KLM from Amsterdam to Copenhagen, where we arrived around noon. We took the train from the airport to the port and boarded the ship just after 1 pm. Our cruise took off at 5 pm.

At the end of the cruise, we spent the night we arrived in Copenhagen in Copenhagen, and then had an 6 am flight out of Copenhagen the next morning. It was a KLM flight from Copenhagen back to Amsterdam. We had a 5 hour layover in Amsterdam (of which the Amsterdam airport does offer short layover tours you can purchase of the city), and then it was a Delta flight from Amsterdam back to LAX where we arrived at around 3 pm on a Sunday. Back at work on Monday.

So, essentially, the way the online ticket website broke up the ticket was almost to do it like we had purchased a roundtrip ticket from LAX to Amsterdam. Then in between it was like we added a round trip ticket between Amsterdam to Copenhagen.

If you're curious, our roundtrip ticket, per person, economy came in at $1190 per person.

In 2007 when I did a similar cruise that was roundtrip out of Copenhagen, and that's all we flew to, we didn't add in a stop to Amsterdam, and the trip was around 4th of July at the beginning of July rather than our 2012 trip at the end of July/beginning of August, those tickets were just under $1100 per person. So, 5 years later, we get the addition of a stop in Amsterdam for only $100 per person, I was ok with that.

Hope that helps you to kind of see what we did and plan out your own trip.

For SPB, I would definitely suggest a private tour operator. You get a better price, more personalized service and a tour tailored to what you want to do. You see more, and pay less.

On my 2007 cruise, I did a stop in Warnemunde. I would also suggest a tour here. I did a tour with a private tour operator and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The drive from Warnemunde to Berlin is long. But we stopped along the way at some historical sights and even saw the Olympic Stadium outside Berlin among other things. I worked with the tour operator to go to the places I wanted to go and do the things I wanted to do and then they filled in the rest. I wanted to make a special stop at Fassbender & Rausch which is a famous chocolate shop in Berlin, and I was able to have the tour operator do that, which was neat. The tour guide was terrific, a young guy who grew up in the former East Germany. So, all along the way, he talked about his experiences and differences between the old East Germany vs the reunified Germany. There is the option of taking the cruise line shore excursion on the train, which I heard people liked - but they definitely get to see and do as much as we did on our private tour though.

The problem with taking a cruise through Scandinavia is that it is expensive, no matter what you do. There's no way around it. And this is maybe, one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips (though I say that and I've done it twice), so you don't want to cheat yourself. So, you've got to be careful about where you decide to save money and do it on your own vs. where it's wise to spend the money and do a tour.

My personal thoughts on the three cities you mentioned - Tallinn, Stockholm and Helsinki are as follows:

Tallinn - super easy to do on your own. Unless mobility is an issue, I don't think you need a tour. It's actually quite easy and a pleasant stroll to get into Tallinn on your own from the port. There's a large map at the port exit that you can follow. One of the nice things of walking on your own is that you can walk from the port right up into Toompea (upper town) and then walk from Upper Town and make your way down to Lower Town, and then from Lower Town, leave Tallinn and walk back to the ship. The length of the walk from Lower Town to the ship is a bit longer, but in the end it's an easier trip because you start off in Upper Town and it's all downhill to Lower Town from there. This is what I did on my 2007 cruise. If you don't want to walk too much, but you still want to do this city on your own, you can buy a pass on the local shuttle that is operated to and from the port all the way to just outside the city walls in Lower Town. The cost isn't that much, and this is what we did in 2012 as it was pouring rain when we arrived and I didn't want to trudge into town when it was that rainy. The only problem with this arrangement is that the bus drops you off about 1.5 blocks from the medieval wall in Lower Town. When you walk around on your own, you're going to have to walk uphill from Lower Town into Upper Town if you want to explore what's up there, then double back and walk about down to Lower Town and out to the bus when you're ready to leave. Whatever you do, this is certainly a city where a tour isn't necessary.

Helsinki - I definitely don't think a tour is necessary here too if you're willing to be a bit adventurous. I found the public bus stop just outside of the port area and bought an all day bus pass from the driver. I knew where I was going and what bus I needed, so I used the bus to take me directly to Tempeliaukkio (Rock Church) and then went on my way from there. It took a bit more planning on my part to research it, but it worked out. What most tourists will do is take the shuttle offered by the ship from the port to just outside of Market Square. Then you can walk to the tram 3A/3B stop and buy an all day bus pass from the tram driver and it can take you around to all of the tourist stops. You can see everything you want to see of Helsinki using the tram. However, because you have to buy a shuttle ticket, and then still buy an all day bus ticket, you add a bit of cost. But it does save you time as far as research etc. Whereas, the way I did it, I avoided the extra cost of the ship shuttle and used public transportation (bus and tram) to get me from the port into town and the sights and then back to the port.

Stockholm -- much trickier to do on your own. I spent A LOT of time researching Stockholm, and had backup plans and backup plans, and yet at one point we still got a little lost and had to ask for help. Ultimately we did it on our own just using the Stockholm Card which we pre-purchased. It was fun to do it on our own, and a great sense of accomplishment because its a complicated city with the sights spread out and the different islands. In 2007, I also did it on my own, so I will say when I did it in 2012 it was a little easier since I already kind of knew what I was doing. Having said that though, unless you're up for a little adventure and you don't mind being spontaneous when things don't work out the way you planned or your timing is off, then this is probably the city where you'd want to book a tour. Logistically a tour would probably be less stressful and easier.

Hope this information helps.

jstducky,

I am in awe of your trip review skills. I am about to take a stack of travel books back to the library and instead have made your review my guide!

Thanks for saving me and other cruisers gazzillions of research time!

Am looking forward to our Baltic adventure this June.:)

• 1 month later...
Food

We booked traditional first seating dining for this cruise. Of all our port days, we knew that there would only be one day where we wouldn’t return to the ship in time for our first seating dining, but that was fine since we would do specialty dining that night. About a month or so before the cruise, I had emailed Royal Caribbean dining to request a private table for two by the window for my husband and I. To my surprise, I received a reply within hours confirming a table for two. That was good enough for me. If we didn’t get a window table, that would be fine.

As soon as we boarded the ship we headed to the dining room to check out our dining assignment. We could see from our SeaPass cards that we were assigned Table 465 in the Minstrel Dining Room deck 4, but that didn’t mean anything to us. After asking the waiter if we could go and check out our table, we were

thoroughly surprised to find that tucked in between only large tables of 6, 8 and 10 there was 1 table of 2 set up right next to the window and that was our table!

One of the waiters commented that they just added in this table for this cruise! I guess writing in advance to Royal Caribbean and making our dining request really paid off for us. My husband and I were thrilled.

Our waiter was Hari and assistant waiter was Haberd, both from India. By the

end of the first night, our waiter already knew our names and continued calling us by our names through the rest of the cruise. Our assistant waiter worked every morning up in the Windjammer, and one morning when my husband and I were having trouble finding a table for breakfast, he located one just for us. That’s what’s great about building a relationship with the same wait staff every night of the cruise. My husband and I tend to eat faster than most people and

chit chat less, and our waiter was great with that. He was always ready with the menu, to take our order, and to bring out our dishes in a timely manner. And

our wait staff was always friendly, always telling us stories, or providing us information we would need for subsequent days, etc.

One thing I noticed that I hadn’t ever seen much of on previous cruises is that a lot of the non-English speaking guests chose not to follow the dining room rules

as far as time. If first seat dining started at 6 pm, there were 2 tables near us

that without fail showed up to eat some time between 6:30 – 7:30 pm each night. I felt like that wasn’t fair to the wait staff who then had to hurry and

serve their dinners and get them out of the dining room in time to clean up and set up again for the 8:30 second seating dining.

As mentioned, there was one night of the cruise we knew we’d return back to the ship from land late, so we pre-booked Chops Grille. This may have been my 4th Royal Caribbean cruise, but this would be my first experience with specialty dining on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Our waitress Maria from the Philippines was

fantastic. She made some great recommendations for food for both my husband and I. We felt that the service and the food was fantastic.

Almost all of our breakfast meals (with the exception of one day) were taken in the Windjammer. I had been worried about the Windjammer due to some negative reviews I had read regarding how busy and crowded it was and the lack of tables and people wandering around aimlessly with trays looking for a place to

sit. But we were pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn’t this way at all. For the most part, we generally had no trouble finding a table to eat at. The one

day we did have trouble, our assistant waiter found us a table in a less used part of the Windjammer that was nice and quiet. The food selection for breakfast in the Windjammer was fantastic and my husband and I always filled up before going out on shore.

We enjoyed lunch once at the Seaview Café on our first sea day. As most people

have noted, the Seaview Café on Brilliance is little used because it is tucked all the way at the back of the ship and above the Windjammer. But that’s one of

the appeals of Seaview, it’s not crowded and the food is made to order. Unlike the Seaview Café on other ships, due to the Brilliance’s itinerary, the menu at this Seaview Café is different. There is a selection of paninis, made-to-order pasta, and made-to-order pizza. For the pasta dishes, there were a variety of pastas and a variety of sauces that you could mix and match. For the pizza, there was a list of toppings that you could choose for your pizza.

I took TONS of food photos, and I'll share each day as it comes up

through the review.

Minstrel Dining Room

1262.jpg

Who did you write to, great idea?

Table 465

127.jpg

Vitality and Alternative Selections Menu

088.jpg

Starters Menu

089.jpg

Entree Menu

090.jpg

Great review

Wow - what a fantastic report! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I admire the amount of planning you did. Can I ask a couple of questions -

- Where did you find detail of bus routes? I've been able to find Metro maps online, but not maps with bus routes. I'm especially interested in Stockholm since the ship is only in port from 7-2.

- To get to the Vasa museum I was planning to walk to Gamla Stan and take the ferry to Djursgarden. This seemed like the simplest route and I have 90 minutes from when the ship docks to when the museum opens. I hadn't seen the option of Bus 76. Did you consider the ferry? What made you decide on the Bus as your Plan A?

- I'm also planning to go to City Hall from Vasa using the route you described. I'll see what I can find about how to find that bus stop!

Thanks again - I really enjoyed your report.

Wow - what a fantastic report! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I admire the amount of planning you did. Can I ask a couple of questions -

- Where did you find detail of bus routes? I've been able to find Metro maps online, but not maps with bus routes. I'm especially interested in Stockholm since the ship is only in port from 7-2.

- To get to the Vasa museum I was planning to walk to Gamla Stan and take the ferry to Djursgarden. This seemed like the simplest route and I have 90 minutes from when the ship docks to when the museum opens. I hadn't seen the option of Bus 76. Did you consider the ferry? What made you decide on the Bus as your Plan A?

- I'm also planning to go to City Hall from Vasa using the route you described. I'll see what I can find about how to find that bus stop!

Thanks again - I really enjoyed your report.

Hi,

The map that Ultima Thule posted is where I did most of my research regarding bus routes and where they go and which line goes where. If you Google for the Stockholm public transportation, once you know the bus lines you want, you can get a time table for the buses, what time they stop at which stop etc. and plan that way.

I did hear about the ferry, but there were a few reasons I didn't choose the ferry. I had a Stockholm Card which I purchased in advance. I believe that the ferry may not have been part of the Stockholm card. I know that the public ferry from Djursgarden to the area around the Royal Palace is included, but I seem to recall that the ferry that is close to where the ship docks to Djursgarden isn't included. I could be wrong about that.

Also, since I had the Stockholm Card in hand, the bus stop from where the ship docks is literally a 3 minute walk, whereas walking down to where the ferry is to take it over was more like a 15 minute walk. The walk isn't hard, but why walk extra when I already knew I'd be doing a whole lot of walking that day? Also, when I got to my bus stop at Londonviadukten, the bus came within 20 seconds and I was off, so it was quick and easy. I ended up at Vasa shortly after it opened and before any of the cruise ship tour buses arrived.

Hi,

The map that Ultima Thule posted is where I did most of my research regarding bus routes and where they go and which line goes where. If you Google for the Stockholm public transportation, once you know the bus lines you want, you can get a time table for the buses, what time they stop at which stop etc. and plan that way.

I did hear about the ferry, but there were a few reasons I didn't choose the ferry. I had a Stockholm Card which I purchased in advance. I believe that the ferry may not have been part of the Stockholm card. I know that the public ferry from Djursgarden to the area around the Royal Palace is included, but I seem to recall that the ferry that is close to where the ship docks to Djursgarden isn't included. I could be wrong about that.

Also, since I had the Stockholm Card in hand, the bus stop from where the ship docks is literally a 3 minute walk, whereas walking down to where the ferry is to take it over was more like a 15 minute walk. The walk isn't hard, but why walk extra when I already knew I'd be doing a whole lot of walking that day? Also, when I got to my bus stop at Londonviadukten, the bus came within 20 seconds and I was off, so it was quick and easy. I ended up at Vasa shortly after it opened and before any of the cruise ship tour buses arrived.

Some clarifications:

Stockholm Card is NOT valid for Djurgårdsfärjan but IS valid for the other harbour line called Sjövägen which goes between Frihamnen and Nybroplan.

• 2 months later...
Travel notes:

On the night of our last day of the cruise, the Captain had said that we would be sailing under the Great Belt Bridge around 10 pm. It actually turned out to be 10:30 pm, and the bridge was spectacular! My husband and I had rushed back to our cabin on the last night just past 10 pm and immediately hurried out on our aft balcony to see the bridge. But we stepped in to darkness. I could see land in the distance, and it looked like we must be sailing through a shipping lane as there was a lighted red and green pathway we were sailing through, but no bridge anywhere in sight. I had assumed that perhaps I was just too late and we had already missed the bridge. Around 10:30 pm, as we were finishing packing our last bag, my husband decided to step out onto the balcony to look at the moon when he started yelling for me to come out on to the balcony right away and to bring the camera. We were sailing under the bridge right at that moment. I go some neat video as we passed right under the bridge. And then I got some pictures of this big, massive, beautiful bridge all lit up at night. When I came home, I looked on the internet to learn that the Great Belt Bridge spans the Great Belt which geographically splits Denmark in half and is the second largest suspension bridge in the world. Pretty neat.

Like the majority of Europe, public transportation (train, tram, bus, metro) in Scandinavia is easy to use. And it’s aided by the fact that the majority of Scandinavians, especially in large tourist towns, speak English. Don’t be afraid to ask locals questions about which bus to take, where the bus stops are located, directions, etc. most of them are more than happy to help you out. While tours can be expensive, wandering through the Scandinavian port cities using just the power of your feet and public transportation can be fun, easy and affordable.

As I mentioned, Scandinavia is just expensive. Remember, you are visiting areas that have some of the highest standards of living in the world. So, as a tourist, you’re going to pay for it. But don’t sweat it. If you research and plan in advance, you can DIY most of the ports on your own and save money and gain adventure that way. Also, most of the Scandinavian ports offer 24-hour cards which can be a cost savings, and a convenience with the right planning.

You can never discount the power of pre-planning for everything! Ok, so I may be a neurotic and go overboard on the planning. But it’s impossible to be over-prepared, but very possible to be under-prepared. When you’re in a foreign city and are planning to DIY, have back up plans in place so that you don’t panic if things don’t go according to plan. The one thing you can always count on is that things never go according to plan when you’re traveling. So, have a plan A, B and C. When we were in Stockholm, after we had decided what we wanted to see in our day there, I laid out a route as to what would make the most sense, taking into account distance, route and travel time, then I laid out a rough plan as to how long it would take to travel from one place to another and how long we should spend at each place. This was rough diagram for me to go by so that I would know that we would make it back to the ship in time. For each stop that required travel by bus, tram or Metro, I had back up plans based on time. I mapped out every possible bus/tram/Metro route for an hour within the timeframe we thought we’d be somewhere. For instance, I knew we should be docking at Stadsgarden at 8:30 am, so I mapped out every single bus that stopped at Londonviadukten and went to Slussen from 8:15 am all the way through 9:30 am, that way, no matter what time I arrived at Londonviadukten, I could feel comfortable that I knew what I was doing. In the end, when I got stuck at the Nybroplan bus stop and couldn’t find bus 62, it turned out to be a fantastic thing that I had bus routes and backup plans because I was able to figure out where I was, re-route us and get us to where we needed to go. Also, because I had back up plans, I was able to adjust our schedule and cut out things we had planned on doing and add in things we hadn’t planned on doing, and was still able to get us back to the ship. So, you can never discount the power of planning and research!

Get involved in your Cruise Critic roll call. Use your fellow ship mates for advice, ideas, and help in planning. They can be a great resource and you can all learn together. Also, use your roll call to help form groups for private tours. This is especially useful for St. Petersburg. Don’t be drawn in by the cruise ships scare tactics. Taking a private tour is safe, easy, and there is no concern about not making it back to the ship on time. Remember, these companies have reputations to uphold so they will do everything humanly possible to make sure you aren’t late back to the ship. Find a tour company that works for you, plan an itinerary, and get a group together. You see and do a whole lot more with a private tour than you do taking a tour through the ship, and you get to meet some really neat people who you’ll not only spend a great day with in St. Petersburg, but will be able to chat with while on the cruise.

Finally, seek out information. Be active on your roll call, in the ports of call boards and look for information and ask questions about things you are uncertain about. Chances are, there someone else out there who can benefit from your questions. Also, reach out to the local tourism offices for the ports/cities you are visiting. Send them an email and tell them you will be visiting their city and would like to request some information. Often times, they are more than happy to send you maps, guides, and other materials regarding their city.

How did you find the bus stop at Londonviadukten at the cruise port? We are on a Celebrity cruise in Aug. and I don't know what port we will be docking. Thanks! Enjoyed all your info very much!!

How did you find the bus stop at Londonviadukten at the cruise port? We are on a Celebrity cruise in Aug. and I don't know what port we will be docking. Thanks! Enjoyed all your info very much!!

I think the most important thing is that you need to figure out if you will be docking at Stadsgarden or Frihamnen.

If you dock at Stadsgarden, then it would be possible to walk to the bus stop at Londonviadukten. But if you stop at Frihamnen, then you're miles away from Stadsgarden, so you're looking for a different bus option with your bus stop being outside of the port area.

If you are at Stadsgarden, what you need to do is walk out of the immediate pier area and follow the yellow line on the road leading you out towards Slussen, which would be a 15+ minute walk. Right after you walk out of the gated area of the pier, you'll see some sort of administrative building on the left. Immediately to the left of that building you'll see a set of stairs that leads up to the main street (since the pier is below street level). The stairs look like they kind of go up a wooded area. You take those stairs up. At the top of the stairs, you'll come to a bike path. Cross the bike path and continue up more stairs to the street level. Once on the street level, you'll see the bus stop.

Archived