should you carry your passport with you

animallovers2

My personal experience ... PP locked in safe, Cozumel, went ashore with drivers license and seapass.

Got back to the ship and found that I lost my ID.

Thankfully, PP was safe, had DS retrieve it and he had a new seapass issued.

First thing I do when I get on the ship is lock the passports in the safe, and the last thing I do on a cruise leaving the cabin is retrieve the passports.

If I've gone through the trouble to get a passport I am going to take it with me off the ship.

I've gone to the trouble to get a passport that has valid visas for Brazil, India and China, and I am keeping it in the most secure place -- the safe on the ship.

I'm weighing in with the "leave in in the ship's safe" crowd. We do take our drivers' licenses, sea pass card, and sometimes a copy of our passports on shore with us. We also carry a copy of the ship's daily newsletter, with the "all aboard" time, and the port agent's name/phone number. So far, so good!:cool:

My passport stays in the safe, but I keep a laminated copy with me in my dive log (I only go to ports where I can dive, so that's always with me). I've read that when passengers miss the boat that security goes to their cabins and retrieves passports out of the safe and the port agent holds them. Don't know if that's true or not, however.

I've taken the time to ask numerous Customs and Immigration agents if it's better to take a passport off a ship or keep it in the safe. Every single one said that keeping the passport in the safe is the best thing to do, unless a country requires a visitor to carry it.

My real estate agent had his, his wife's and 3 kid's passports stolen from a locked rental car---in the trunk---in St Martin. The local police told him that you'd be surprised how many passports are stolen from cruise ship passengers on the islands every year.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the notion that you took the time, and paid the money, to get a passport, so you carry it. The fact remains that a stolen or lost passport is more of a hassle than needing it in an emergency on a tour or whatever. If you get into a jam while off the ship, there are people who will retrieve your passport from your cabin. If your passport is stolen while off the ship, you're on your own, at your own expense, while you wait for a new passport to be issued----which could take days.

:confused:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! im so confused!!!!!! :p

As a Canadian citizen ive been trying to figure this issue out for weeks...what to do what to do...take it with me or leave it on the ship....the responses to my questions on the matter were 50/50...all very valid points i might add...but i finally decided it was best to take them with me, even though my gut tells me to leave them safe and take a copy only. My TA says i will be okay to leave them onboard as my ports wont require the pp's (nassau, st thomas, san juan and grand turk) but then i read people saying they were denied entry into the port area before even getting to the ship...so the sign and sail pass was not very helpful. Alternate photo ID was required, and a photocopied passport wasnt sufficient. Its hard to know if these are freak occurences or if it happens more frequently than reazlized...maybe there are extenuating circumstances the poster didnt get into....who knows....

Now...im not so sure....again. :cool:

As a first time cruiser this is why i am sticking with cruiseline excursions...i dont want to spend my whole day in port worrying about a potential problem if on my own...without having a guide or someone to help me out....Ill hold the rope and follow the herd thank you very much! :D

I've gone to the trouble to get a passport that has valid visas for Brazil, India and China, and I am keeping it in the most secure place -- the safe on the ship.

Once I actually have a passport I will probably re-think it, right now I can only speak hypothetically.

As a Canadian citizen ive been trying to figure this issue out for weeks...what to do what to do...take it with me or leave it on the ship....the responses to my questions on the matter were 50/50...all very valid points i might add...but i finally decided it was best to take them with me, even though my gut tells me to leave them safe and take a copy only. My TA says i will be okay to leave them onboard as my ports wont require the pp's (nassau, st thomas, san juan and grand turk) but then i read people saying they were denied entry into the port area before even getting to the ship...so the sign and sail pass was not very helpful. Alternate photo ID was required, and a photocopied passport wasnt sufficient. Its hard to know if these are freak occurences or if it happens more frequently than reazlized...maybe there are extenuating circumstances the poster didnt get into....who knows....

As a first time cruiser this is why i am sticking with cruiseline excursions...i dont want to spend my whole day in port worrying about a potential problem if on my own...without having a guide or someone to help me out....Ill hold the rope and follow the herd thank you very much! :D

Once you have read all the opinions and have the pertinent information, then ultimately the decision is yours and yours alone. I'll offer one more scintilla of evidence -- the posters who have traveled around the world the most, experienced the most situations in the most far flung countries, and consulted with Customs and Immigration officials -- these posters almost without exception will leave their passports on the ship, the only exception being when local law requires that passports be on their person.

First, don't worry too much. I have been asked for photo ID to get back into the port, and have used my driving licence. I'm happy to take that ashore, because it's pretty easy to replace if it gets lost or stolen.

And taking ship's excursions on a first cruise is not a bad idea at all. Many of them are pretty good, some are very good. The extra price is well worth it if it keeps things in your comfort zone.

I hope you have a great time, and that this will be the first of many cruises.

I'm weighing in with the "leave in in the ship's safe" crowd. We do take our drivers' licenses, sea pass card, and sometimes a copy of our passports on shore with us. We also carry a copy of the ship's daily newsletter, with the "all aboard" time, and the port agent's name/phone number. So far, so good!:cool:

After 10+ Cruises - This is my new "game plan" - Thank you!:)

the posters who have traveled around the world the most, experienced the most situations in the most far flung countries, and consulted with Customs and Immigration officials -- these posters almost without exception will leave their passports on the ship, the only exception being when local law requires that passports be on their person.

I concur Shorex! Cruises are only about 20% of my travel outside the country, and the only way I'll take my passport out of the safe is if the cruiseline or port authority requires it.

BUT, if others want to carry theirs around in port what do I care? :D

I've taken the time to ask numerous Customs and Immigration agents if it's better to take a passport off a ship or keep it in the safe. Every single one said that keeping the passport in the safe is the best thing to do, unless a country requires a visitor to carry it.

My real estate agent had his, his wife's and 3 kid's passports stolen from a locked rental car---in the trunk---in St Martin. The local police told him that you'd be surprised how many passports are stolen from cruise ship passengers on the islands every year.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the notion that you took the time, and paid the money, to get a passport, so you carry it. The fact remains that a stolen or lost passport is more of a hassle than needing it in an emergency on a tour or whatever. If you get into a jam while off the ship, there are people who will retrieve your passport from your cabin. If your passport is stolen while off the ship, you're on your own, at your own expense, while you wait for a new passport to be issued----which could take days.

You are so right and in general I find that seasoned travelers do likewise.

Keith

do you take your passport with you while in port. I would rather leave it on the ship but what if something happens, miss the ship,injury,etc. what do you do if you don't have it and something happens? if you take it , is there a safe, dry way to carry it. thanks

I'm going to reply without reading the responses, because this issue is as divisive as politics or religion. I know I don't need to take my passport with me. However, it makes me feel better to have it with me. What if I have to fly home from the port? What if I'm detained by the police. What if...? So, I always bring it with me.

We keep ours in the safe in the cabin. Perhaps the reason for this was because the cruise director aboard our first cruise advised people to leave them in their safes when they go ashore. Don't want to risk losing it, because if that is what you are sailing with, you WILL need it to get back into the US. What if you lost it at a port of call--the delay of reporting it missing may cause you to miss the ship.

I always leave mines in the safe.

As we are sailing in Europe, and the UK is member of the EU, that would be OK. For an emergency I always colour copy my passport and get it certified ( will get a manager from work to certifiy/stamp the copies for me.

If you are still not sure I suggest you contact RCC guest relations and get them to confirm

Obviously there's nothing wrong with having a color copy of your passport, but I don't understand why people think a color copy of the passport is any better than a black and white copy. The purpose of having the copy is to make it easier for the consulate or embassy to identify you as the holder of a valid passport in the event yours is lost, damaged or stolen. A black and white copy will have all the relevant information...your name, picture, passport number, date and place of birth and issuance and expiration dates of the passport. None of that is of any greater value to the consulate when it's in color.

do you take your passport with you while in port. I would rather leave it on the ship but what if something happens, miss the ship,injury,etc. what do you do if you don't have it and something happens? if you take it , is there a safe, dry way to carry it. thanks

Like they say out there: It is better to be safe than sorry.

When I get off the ship, I always have a fanny pack with me,

where I carry my passport, ID, necessary money to spend on port,etc.

That is what I have done always, and thank God never had any problems.

Like they say out there: It is better to be safe than sorry.

The issue is the better definition of "safe" in specific circumstances. For my friend in Barcelona who just had his passport stolen, "safe" should have meant leaving the passport in the hotel safe. Fortunately, he was not on a cruise and had the time to go to the US consulate for a replacement.

Look at it this way, each port has it's own ideology on what constitutes proper ID to return to the ship. The best thing to do is to contact the port authorities for each destination to see what their criteria is for valid ID plus proof that you belong to one of the ship's in port. In generalized terms most ports require valid IDs to be issued by the cruiser's country or their state/providence & to have a recent photo, a street address (not postal box), a validation or ID #, issue and expiration dates, and a name that match your cruise's ship's card exactly. So for many, a current driver's license and the ship's card is all they need to get on and off the ship.

So as long as you have a more portable & durable form of government issued ID that matches the port's criteria, I say leave the passport on board somewhere safe. (NOTE not all cruise ships have safes in each cabin you may need to find a secure place in your cabin or rent a safety deposit box at guest services.) If your easier to carry ID does not meet a port's criteria you may have no choice but to take your orginal passport as your ID. In a few cases certain ports my require your passport on you not only to get on and off the ship but to travel around town, but you should of been told at the time of booking the cruise if this would be a requirement.

Also never take in to port more than you need for that day. Leave any extra cash above the day's budget in a safe place on board and leave all but 1 credit card per person in your group with the cash. Do take a copy or your orginal health insurance card though just in case of accident. If any other emergency arises, other than realizing belately that your ship sailed already, ship's pesonel can be contacted through the port agent to retrieve anything that you authorize them to.

NOTE fanny packs mark you as a easy mark to most thieves, many give the false sense of security. Many feel that a pickpocket could not un-zip 1 without you noticing, but these sneaks practice getting things out of peoples pockets so how much harder is it for them to just look for one being opened and lift something of value out. It's much better to carry what you need in your regular purse, a small backpack, messenger bag, mid size camera bag, or zippered beach bag, you will be much more aware of these and more alert for some one going after them. If you want something close to your body try a slim line travel document or money belt worn under your clothing.

To the poster that mentioned that they have witnessed some cruiser's being denied disembarkation at a port of call there are answers other than the lack of passport on the person wanting to visit. For most cases, they are not allowed off due to some problem arising during the cruise, like an unpaid balance on their room account, a visit to the sickbay where they maybe a question of infection, some sort of accusation being investigated by ship's security, or in some rare cases the photo does not match the one on file (just imagine a how a spa make over can dramatically change the way people look in photos). In rare cases some countries have a barred entry list, just like the TSA has a no fly list, and in some countries just having a similar name to the person they wish to ban is enough for a customs & immigration official to tell cruise personel that they do not wish that person to disembark till they talk to the C&I personel. So they get their card pinged at the gangway and are told to get their passport as firm proof of identity prior to meeting with the port authorities.

Look at it this way, each port has it's own ideology on what constitutes proper ID to return to the ship. The best thing to do is to contact the port authorities for each destination to see what their criteria is for valid ID plus proof that you belong to one of the ship's in port. In generalized terms most ports require valid IDs to be issued by the cruiser's country or their state/providence & to have a recent photo, a street address (not postal box), a validation or ID #, issue and expiration dates, and a name that match your cruise's ship's card exactly. So for many, a current driver's license and the ship's card is all they need to get on and off the ship.

So as long as you have a more portable & durable form of government issued ID that matches the port's criteria, I say leave the passport on board somewhere safe. (NOTE not all cruise ships have safes in each cabin you may need to find a secure place in your cabin or rent a safety deposit box at guest services.) If your easier to carry ID does not meet a port's criteria you may have no choice but to take your orginal passport as your ID. In a few cases certain ports my require your passport on you not only to get on and off the ship but to travel around town, but you should of been told at the time of booking the cruise if this would be a requirement.

Also never take in to port more than you need for that day. Leave any extra cash above the day's budget in a safe place on board and leave all but 1 credit card per person in your group with the cash. Do take a copy or your orginal health insurance card though just in case of accident. If any other emergency arises, other than realizing belately that your ship sailed already, ship's pesonel can be contacted through the port agent to retrieve anything that you authorize them to.

NOTE fanny packs mark you as a easy mark to most thieves, many give the false sense of security. Many feel that a pickpocket could not un-zip 1 without you noticing, but these sneaks practice getting things out of peoples pockets so how much harder is it for them to just look for one being opened and lift something of value out. It's much better to carry what you need in your regular purse, a small backpack, messenger bag, mid size camera bag, or zippered beach bag, you will be much more aware of these and more alert for some one going after them. If you want something close to your body try a slim line travel document or money belt worn under your clothing.

To the poster that mentioned that they have witnessed some cruiser's being denied disembarkation at a port of call there are answers other than the lack of passport on the person wanting to visit. For most cases, they are not allowed off due to some problem arising during the cruise, like an unpaid balance on their room account, a visit to the sickbay where they maybe a question of infection, some sort of accusation being investigated by ship's security, or in some rare cases the photo does not match the one on file (just imagine a how a spa make over can dramatically change the way people look in photos). In rare cases some countries have a barred entry list, just like the TSA has a no fly list, and in some countries just having a similar name to the person they wish to ban is enough for a customs & immigration official to tell cruise personel that they do not wish that person to disembark till they talk to the C&I personel. So they get their card pinged at the gangway and are told to get their passport as firm proof of identity prior to meeting with the port authorities.

There is no reason to contact port authorities. Your cruise line knows exactly what each port requires passengers to carry ashore and will tell you what is needed in the daily cruise newsletter.

I haven't seen a cruise ship that was built in the last 20-25 years that doesn't have in-cabin safes.

My friend who left her passport in a taxi sure wished she'd not been toting hers around.

You have great control over whether you make it back to the ship in time.

You're unlikely to have an accident in the few hours that you're on the island.

You're even less likely to have said accident AND to have waited so late that you cannot back to the ship for inboard treatment.

In contrast, you cannot help being human and occasionally mislaying things. Even important things.

Nor can you help if someone chooses you as the target of a crime.

Being on a ship sponsored excursion does not eliminate the need to go back through the security gate at the pier - where you have to show a picture ID and your sail & sign card (or seapass - or whatever the cruise line calls it).

Archived