Why didnt anyone tell me?

kaylaw25

I went on my first cruise (carnival ecstasy) last year & ate breakfast and lunch at the lido deck EVERYDAY. I thought the MDR only served dinner. Am I the only person that didn't know the MDR served breakfast & lunch?! I found out only a few weeks ago through message boards that breakfast & lunch was served there too with many other food selections. I didn't cruise for the food however I got tired of omelettes and hamburgers everyday very quickly! I'm very excited to try breakfast/brunch on my next cruise next week on the Fascination.

The Capers should have the info about hours each dining place is open. Also, there should be info in your cabin -- if not, ask your cabin steward.

If you have a good TA who knows it's your first cruise, they should be able to answer any of your questions and explain what to expect. Fortunately, for my first cruise (on the Carnival Jubilee), my then bf (now hubby) had already one cruise under his belt and was able to guide me. But we also read the pamphlet that was sent out with the cruise docs (the same info is available on the Carnival website as written docs are no longer sent) and is worthwhile for any one new to cruising, to the cruiseline or to that ship, to read.

And if you have a Suite on Princess and other lines, there will be a couple of specialty restaurants open by invitation only that will cook up almost anything you want. Yes,there are many other options other than the Lido Deck.

Are you sure about that (re: Princess)? I understand that Sabinitini's has an exclusive breakfast for suite passengers, but for dinner, any one could eat there.

Well - now that you know you can eat in the dining room for breakfast eery day and some lunches -- I'll bet that you will have even a better food experience on this cruise than the last one.

Bon Appetite!!

I'm sure I will I'm sooooo ready to try everything!

There was a thread this year that mentioned a guy who only discovered the MDR for dinner on the last day of a seven-day trip.

It's inconceivable that it could happen, but it apparently did.

That's hilarious poor guy he missed out on lobster night! I feel bad for him but it makes me feel much better. Just when u think your situation is bad there's always someone who has it worse.

I didn't find out until my second cruise that the MDR served breakfast and lunch. It's a very enjoyable experience from the hustle and bustle of the Lido.

Yes I'm sure the atmosphere will be much more relaxed. Most of the problem with the lido deck is lack of seating. We'd take turns holding the table and gettin in line. Now we can avoid that this time. Thank God for these message boards

On your next cruise, check out the daily activity guide (I believe it's called Capers with Carnival) the ship supplies to your room every evening. Those guides will tell you the places around the ship where you can get breakfast and lunch, other than the Lido.

Are you sure about that (re: Princess)? I understand that Sabinitini's has an exclusive breakfast for suite passengers' date=' but for dinner, any one could eat there.[/quote']

Yes, you are correct, only suite passengers can eat breakfast at Sabatini's, but anyone can dine there in the evening if they pay the supplement. I assumed at first that Steviewonder1 was just referring to breakfast, as that was what the OP's thread is about. But he refers to 'a couple of specialty restaurants open by invitation only that will cook you anything you want.' That is incorrect. The only 'invitation only' restaurant open to suite passengers for breakfast is Sabatini's and there is no specialty restaurant that is exclusive to suite passengers for dinner.

I also ran in to someone who thought that only those in suite could eat in the MDR, and had been on 2 cruises eating only in the Lido! When we talked, she was telling me how envious she was of me, because she saw me coming out of the MDR at lunch, and that I must have had a suite! :)

She ate with us ...in the MDR....for every breakfast and lunch thereafter, for the rest of that cruise...

I avoid the lido except perhaps for a late breakfast, or if we get back to the ship from an excursion where we didn't get an opportunity to eat, or somehow have missed a meal. It is always too crowded, too hard to find seating, and I hate having to carry plates of food from counter to seat.

I have only ate at th buffet my first 2 cruises (except for dinner) and I am very excited to try the MDR on my next cruise. Is it open seating and do the meals come out pretty quick?

For breakfast and lunch in the MDR, they fill tables as people come in; you don't get to choose where you sit. If you ask, they may seat you at a table with just your own party, but the section of the dining room they use generally doesn't have many tables for 2.

Once a table is full, the order for the table is taken. The meals come in a reasonable amount of time but I would not call it quick.

On most lines, breakfast is available in the MDR every day, but it's open for lunch only on sea days.

I also ran in to someone who thought that only those in suite could eat in the MDR, and had been on 2 cruises eating only in the Lido! When we talked, she was telling me how envious she was of me, because she saw me coming out of the MDR at lunch, and that I must have had a suite! :)

She ate with us ...in the MDR....for every breakfast and lunch thereafter, for the rest of that cruise...

I avoid the lido except perhaps for a late breakfast, or if we get back to the ship from an excursion where we didn't get an opportunity to eat, or somehow have missed a meal. It is always too crowded, too hard to find seating, and I hate having to carry plates of food from counter to seat.

That was very nice of you to invite her to dine with you :)

Archived