American Cruise Lines - "Queen of the Mississippi"

janetcbl

The QUEEN OF THE MISSISSIPPI is not part of the American Queen Steamboat Co., but rather part of a successful coastal cruise line. The tariffs start at nearly $4000.oo per person a week on the QOTM, and she is not steam. Reports are that she doesn't even use her paddlewheel and it just drags in the water. That's enough for me not to be interested.

That is a different cruise line that this one

I would ask under OTHER CRUISE LINES also

There are two steamboat ships now two different companies

American Queen Steamboat company

Queen of the Mississippi by ACL

I'm a bit confused as well. Is Great American Steamboat Company the same as the American Queen Steamboat Company? And ... I'm gathering that American Cruise Lines, which does own the Queen of The Mississippi are two different companies?

I saw the Q of the Mississippi in New Orleans a couple of weeks back - before she started. Very pretty boat, she was actually tied up near our house in the Bywater (part of NOLA). We couldn't get on her, but did see her fairly close.

I'm a bit confused as well. Is Great American Steamboat Company the same as the American Queen Steamboat Company?

YES They have dropped the "GREAT" in their name

And ... I'm gathering that American Cruise Lines, which does own the Queen of The Mississippi are two different companies?

Right again

I saw the Q of the Mississippi in New Orleans a couple of weeks back - before she started. Very pretty boat, she was actually tied up near our house in the Bywater (part of NOLA). We couldn't get on her, but did see her fairly close.

The Queen of Mississippi is smaller she is owned by American Cruise Lines

http://www.americancruiselines.com/

She hold 150 passenger & the American Queen holds over 400

http://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/

I'm a bit confused as well. Is Great American Steamboat Company the same as the American Queen Steamboat Company? And ... I'm gathering that American Cruise Lines, which does own the Queen of The Mississippi are two different companies?

America Queen Steamboat Company began operations as Great American Steamboat Company, but changed it's name on (I think) July 1 or August 1. I think it was because everyone was calling it that anyway, and it eliminated some confusion.

American Queen Steamboat Company operates the American Queen, the only authentic steam-powered paddlewheel-propelled boat in overnight operation on American rivers. There are other steam-powered paddle wheelers, such as the Belle of Louisville, but they are day cruisers or dinner cruisers only.

The American Queen is as authentic a copy of the old, original river boats as it's possible to build today, given modern safety regulations and steel construction methods. It truly is powered by a renovated 1927 steam engine and propelled by it's big red paddle wheel. You can visit the engine room and see the giant pistons working. Believe it or not, a couple of the engineers are young ladies -- I talked to one, and learned she's a graduate of Texas Maritime Institute with a degree in Marine Engineering.

The American Queen is also the largest riverboat ever built, at something around 400' long and carrying around 400 passengers. Her decorations are authentic, her furninshings are all antiques or excellent reproductions, her dining room is copied from the old steamer J.M. White, and almost all of her decks feature walkaround promenades like the old riverboats. Folks sit outside their cabins watching the river, much like the old ocean liners with cabins that opened on to the decks. Walking around the decks is a great way to meet fellow passengers; this is a VERY social boat. Conversations strike up almost spontaneously!

American Cruise Lines has been operating small boats or ships along the East Coast Intercoastal Waterways, and in other locations (I think the Columbia River), for many years. They recently completed construction of Queen of the Mississippi, a diesel-powered boat designed to look something like a Mississippi riverboat. It is much smaller, carrying 150 passengers. The descriptions I have read say that all of the cabins have balconies, which indicates to me that there are few if any promenade decks (sort of like many modern cruise ships).

I'd say that if you are looking for something as close to an authentic river voyage from the late 1800s as you can get, but with luxurious service, meals and comfortable cabins, you should choose American Queen. If you are looking to emulate a modern luxury ocean cruise ship, except on a river, you should probably look at Queen of the Mississippi. But, in my opinion, it won't be anything like the American Queen.

You might also want to look at recent reviews and comments about American Cruise Lines -- I think there is a brief comparison on this forum.

Thanks ... you have answered my questions. We are booked on the American Queen in December. American Cruise Lines doesn't have a great reputation as far as I can tell. I posted on Crystal CC site awhile back asking about River Cruises ... and if anyone had been. At that time, several people said that they have been on American Cruise Lines and would never go again.

I am looking forward to our first (and maybe not the last) American Queen adventure!

American Queen Steamboat Co. and American Cruise Line are different companies with different owners, and their relationship has been a bit contentious. On July 1, 2012 Great American Steamboat Co. changed their name as the result of a lawsuit filed by the owners of the QUEEN OF THE MISSISSIPPI. Their claim is that they owned the name and the AMERICAN QUEEN was unlawfully using their property.

I can’t help but to join in on this forum to point out a few things that people seem to be mistaken about. The American Queen does in fact have a steam engine that runs the paddlewheel; however the ships primary source of power comes from diesel engines that run Z-drive propeller units underneath the ship. While the steam engine is of great marketing value for the ship it does little more than keep the paddlewheel turning a little faster than it otherwise would by dragging. American Queen (built in 1995) like Queen of the Mississippi (built in 2012) are both modern ships and feature modern means of propulsion. That said, they both are impressive and it is great to see “paddle wheelers” back cruising on the Mississippi.

I can’t help but to join in on this forum to point out a few things that people seem to be mistaken about. The American Queen does in fact have a steam engine that runs the paddle wheel; however the ships primary source of power comes from diesel engines that run Z-drive propeller units underneath the ship. While the steam engine is of great marketing value for the ship it does little more than keep the paddle wheel turning a little faster than it otherwise would by dragging. American Queen (built in 1995) like Queen of the Mississippi (built in 2012) are both modern ships and feature modern means of propulsion. That said' date=' they both are impressive and it is great to see “paddle wheelers” back cruising on the Mississippi.[/quote']

Cruisin'Rob, that information about American Queen is incorrect, based on my very recent 18 day experience on her, on the Tennessee, Cumberland, Mississippi and Ohio rivers. Our cabin, 455, was directly over the paddle wheel.

At least 90% of the time, she sailed under propulsion entirely by the steam-powered paddle wheel. The steam engine develops 1500 horsepower and is capable of being the sole propulsion.

She does have two diesel electric Z drives, mounted under the hul on either side of the paddle wheel, that are used strictly for auxiliary propulsion. The are essentially like outboard motors, under the hull and capable of 360 degree rotation. They are used primarily for maneuvering, along with the bow thruster.

When the Z-drives are in operation, it's really easy to tell, because they throw an additional wake on either side of the rolling wake caused by the paddle wheel. I did not see them in operation at all, except when landing, on the entire down-river voyage on the Tennessee, on the 56 mile up-river vyage on the Cumberland to Dover, on the down-river return trip on the Cumberland, not on the down-river on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to Memphis.

I did see the Z-drives in auxiliary operation going up-river from Memphis on the fast-current Mississippi. the paddle wheel was still providing primary propulsion, but the Z-drives were helping to maintain a good cruising speed against the current. Once back on the Ohio, I did not see them in as much operation, even against the current. For example, upon leaving Paducah heading up-river, it was obvious the Z-drives were in operation to help reach cruising speed, but once up to speed, there was no longer any wake apparent from the drives.

Because the Z-drives can be rotated, they are indispensable for landing; the boat can literally be moved sideways. They're also used in locks to hold the boat against on or the other lock walls.

We had dinner with Captain John Sutton, Master of the American Queen and former Master of the American Queen, Delta Queen amnd Mississippi Queen when they were operating, and I specifically asked him about propulsion, and his answer is reflected in my discussion.

American Queen IS an authentic steam-powered paddle-wheeler, and the Z-drives are purely auxiliary.

Don, according to my information, the AQ can´t run upriver without the help of the Z-drives. Downriver going with the current the paddlewheel is usually the sole propulsion. But the steam engines of the AQ were never designed for such a big boat and therefore aren´t powerful enough. The steam engines came from the US dredge Kennedy and were built in 1932 by Nordberg Manufacturing Company. The Kennedy was a much smaller boat. The Z-drives are a full propulsion and not just auxiliary. And I think there was a situation when the AQ when something was broken and she only could run on the Z-drives. But Calliope might remember better.

BTW, as far as I remember the paddlewheel has been dismantled for the trip from Beaumont, TX, back to New Orleans. Beaumont was the place the AQ has been since Majestic America Line went bankrupt. The AQ did run under its own power back to NOLA but only using the Z-drives.

steamboats

Don,

From my understanding you are correct that the steam engines generate 1500hp, however I also know that the z drives generate twice that at 3,000hp and are in fact needed to move this ship up river as Steamboats pointed out. It is certainly possible that the paddle wheel is the sole propulsion down river but it's pretty easy to move with the current, and that's what the Queen Of The Mississippi does too. I also think Steamboats is correct about the trip from Beaumont, TX to New Orleans.

Don, has a pretty good grasp of the facts. The AMERICAN QUEEN is a commissioned American steam vessel. Her primary source of movement is the stern paddlewheel powered by the two Nordberg tandem compound horizontal steam engines in the engineroom. Yes, she can operate without her wheel, and as Steasmboats pointed out, she did when her original shaft cracked during her first season.

On my recent AQ trip the wheel was used as the sole means of propulsion the first night out of New Orleans as she ran against the current. This was verified by one of her licensed steam engineers whom was a protege of my father from when he was weekend chief engineer on the Str. BELLE OF LOUISVILLE. It quite clear when the AQ uses her diesel-electric assist. There is increased noise, vibration and cavitation when the z-drives are being used. It definitly is not just for marketing those two big steam engines; they're her beating heart.

Don' date='

From my understanding you are correct that the steam engines generate 1500hp, however I also know that the z drives generate twice that at 3,000hp and are in fact needed to move this ship up river as Steamboats pointed out. It is certainly possible that the paddle wheel is the sole propulsion down river but it's pretty easy to move with the current, and that's what the Queen Of The Mississippi does too. I also think Steamboats is correct about the trip from Beaumont, TX to New Orleans.[/quote']

Captain sutton stated that the Z drives are 1000 horespower each. It's obvious that she CAN move just by the Z drives, but since the horsepower ratings are so close (1500 versus 2000), it's also obvious to me that she could not do much better up river with the Z drives alone than she could with the paddle wheel alone.

Calliope is absolutely correct when he said there is increased noise, vibration and cavitation when the Z drives are being run. Our cabin, 455, is in the exact center of the boat, directly above the paddle wheels (there are actually two), and as far aft as any cabin can get. We could immediately tell exactly when the Z-drives were engaged, by the noise and vibration alone, verified by stepping out of the cabin door and peering at the wake. In fact, when the Z drives were rotated to be used as a side thruster or to create a reversing effect, we could actually here the whine of the gear motors turning the pods.

In this photo, you can clearly see that the wake is coming from the paddle wheel alone. The Z drives are under the decks to the right and left of the paddle wheels.

224321.jpg

In this photo (both taken by me within the last 3 weeks), you can see the separate wake (cavitation) caused by the Starboard Z drive. We saw this rarely in the entire 18 day voyage.

203530.jpg

I undestand what logic and hearsay may tell you, but ours is first-hand experience. American Queen IS a steamboat.

The Queen opf the Mississippi, by American Cruise Lines, is not. The paddlewheel, if it provides any propulsion, is run by diesel engines. There is not even a pretense of a steam engine aboard.

As this is being typed the QUEEN OF THE MISSISSIPPI isn't going anywhere. She is in Davenport, Iowa where she is undergoing major surgery having one of her diesel propeller units replaced. Poor gal, this couldn't happen to the AMERICAN QUEEN as the paddlewheel is enough to move her alone. Word is the operation started shortly after midnight this morning, and they hope to get away from the Oneida Street Landing around 4 PM today, Central Daylight Time. Boy, I would hate to be in a room forward of the diesel unit being replaced. I bet there was a lot of banging and cussing going on.

BTW. The AMERICAN QUEEN only has one wheel. The buckets are staggered to decrease vibration, and they are on one common shaft.

BTW. The AMERICAN QUEEN only has one wheel. The buckets are staggered to decrease vibration, and they are on one common shaft.

Thanks for that correction, Calliope. I know there is one common shaft with the pistons synchronized about 1/4 rotation apart, but it sure looks like two separate wheels mounted on the common shaft. The boards go only halfway across.

By the way, I found the photo of the boards being prepared for painting...

094323.jpg

The AQ only has one wheel, but there were numerous diesel towboats that had two separate stern wheels. The pilot could come ahead on one wheel and back on the other which could help in the handling of the boat. I do know that there was atleast one steam sternwheeler that had a split wheel with an engine attached to each wheel, but this was rare.

Don, you might remember seeing one of the last great Mississippi River style sidewheel steamboats the ISLAND QUEEN when you were young in Pittsburgh, or maybe even recall her demise at the Wood Street Wharf. These sidewheelers had two wheels, each attached to its own engine, on either side of the boat. The ISLAND QUEEN ran from downtown Cincinnati to Coney Island Amusement Park several times daily during the summer season. Off season when the park was closed the boat would tramp from town to town offering excursions.

Don,

It´s not hearsay but personal experience too as you may see from my signature ;). They haven´t changed the way of propulsion since 2008.

In fact it´s only one paddlewheel as Calliope states. And I may correct my previous statement: Running upriver it depends on the current. With a high river it´s pretty likely that the steam engines can´t produce enough power and they have to use the Z-drives additionally. I´ve seen and experienced both.

steamboats

224321.jpg

I think you can see it in this photo oon the right side that the boards are sort of "overlapsing" ab bit in the middle.

Here´s a full view of the wheel

040.jpg

In fact it looks like two wheels. But they are mounted on one shaft and "fixed" to it. So they can´t turn seperately.

steamboats

Don,

It´s not hearsay but personal experience too as you may see from my signature ;). They haven´t changed the way of propulsion since 2008.

In fact it´s only one paddlewheel as Calliope states. And I may correct my previous statement: Running upriver it depends on the current. With a high river it´s pretty likely that the steam engines can´t produce enough power and they have to use the Z-drives additionally. I´ve seen and experienced both.

steamboats

When I suggested "hearsay", it certainly wasn't you or Calliope to whom I was referring. On our recent cruise, on the last of 18 days, I shared lunch table with a gentleman who solemnly informed me the paddlewheel was fake, simply dragging in the river and being tuned by the current. When I gently tried to correct him, he clinched his teeth, and, as my DW said, obviously didn't believe a word I said!

Yes, the Z drives were in use for a portion of the up-river voyage on the faster-flowing Mississippi, but, in my opinion, only to keep the boat on some sort of schedule. Once we got above Paducah, I didn't see them in use against the Ohio current, except when first starting from a landing, and I didn't see them in use on the Cumberland at all while running upstream.

By the way, for you steamboating afficiandos who appreciate every tidbit of news, this was the first time that American Queen voyaged on the Cumberland. Apparently in the past it was considered impossible. However, Captain Sutton (who had taken Delta Queen up the Cumberland many times) insisted he could make it. We entered Barclay Lake (the Cumberland) on the short canal in the "Land Between the Lakes", then sailed 56 miles upstream to Dover, TN, and then toured Fort Donelson (this was a Civil War themed cruise). We then returned downstream to Barclay Lake, traversed the canal back to Kentucky Lake on the Tennessee, and proceeded to Paducah.

The voyage on the Cumberland was indeed without incident, although the officerson AQ's bridge did have to duck below the railing when passing under one low bridge; we cleared by inches.

This was not on our original schedule; it was added as a result of not being able to get to Vicksburg. I'm sure you know by now that low water on the lower Mississippi kept us from sailing south of Memphis; this decision was then compounded by the effects of Hurricane Isaac! Folks who were flying home from New Orleans had to change their flight plans; thoise who could not make arrangements for the 29th or 30th of August were permitted to stay on board an extra night (at no charge) before AQ departed Memphis on the 31st.

The AQ only has one wheel, but there were numerous diesel towboats that had two separate stern wheels. The pilot could come ahead on one wheel and back on the other which could help in the handling of the boat. I do know that there was atleast one steam sternwheeler that had a split wheel with an engine attached to each wheel, but this was rare.

Don, you might remember seeing one of the last great Mississippi River style sidewheel steamboats the ISLAND QUEEN when you were young in Pittsburgh, or maybe even recall her demise at the Wood Street Wharf. These sidewheelers had two wheels, each attached to its own engine, on either side of the boat. The ISLAND QUEEN ran from downtown Cincinnati to Coney Island Amusement Park several times daily during the summer season. Off season when the park was closed the boat would tramp from town to town offering excursions.

When I first saw the split wheel on AQ, I guessed it was possibly to operate them separately for maneuverability. I own a small farm tractor, and locking one rear wheel often helps to make tighter turns (there are separate brake pedals for right and left). My "zero turn" lawn mower also depends on one wheel turning the opposite of the other to turn within its own length. Then, I learned that AQ has four rudders (two ahead of the paddle wheel and two astern) which are used for normal maneuvering, plus the ability to augment that with the rotating Z-drives and bow thruster. Definitely the most maneuverable steamboat ever constructed!

I do remember at least one side wheeler in Pittsburgh, but don't recall any names (the only reason I remember the name of the "Avalon" is that Avalon is the name of one of the North Boroughs; I lived in Bellevue, the first one outside the Pittsburgh city line, then came Avalon, Ben Avon and Emsworth, the location of the first set of locks outside Pittsburgh. Each borough runs about 2 miles along the Ohio River; it's really difficult

By the way, Coney Island is in New York; I believe the steamboat excursions to Pittsburgh were going to Kennywood Park.

Don,

You definitely got a nice extra!!

And, sorry, yes there is a Coney Island near Cincinnati.

The Avalon you remember is still alive as the Belle of Louisville (of course in Louisville). But she is and ever has been a sternwheeler.

I´m no techie but I think that "split wheel design" might be more efficent and help to get over the "dead point" during the revolution of the wheel.

steamboats

We traveled on American Cruise Lines Queen of the West on the Columbia and Snake Rivers. The paddlewheel is an ornament as the boat is driven by Z drives.

It was a very expensive trip and we were not happy. I posted a review on Cruise Critic. In part our disappointment was caused by American Cruise Lines photo of a bedroom on the Queen of the West which was not identified as a suite/special room and the implication was that it was a typical bedroom.

We were disappointed to find our expensive balcony room was tiny with a balcony too small to use and a bathroom in poor condition with very little water pressure.

American Cruise Lines blew us off and never responded to our concerns and/or complaints. Not the least effort to communicate with us either while on the boat or when returned home.

We are seeking other methods of travel and although we enjoy river cruising, ACL will not be the company we choose. We are considering the American Queen Steamboat Company based on information on Cruise Critic and reports from friends.

PennyAgain-I know you are a Crystal cruiser, so am I. We are going on the AQ in December. I'll let you know how it compares! Lynn

We paid more for our ACL cruise on the Queen of the West than for a Crystal Cruise! That was a big part of our disappointment especially in the area of food and the fact that there were no open bar hours only the short (no charge) cocktail hour.

No Bloody Mary with Sunday lunch!

I'll agree that once used to Crystal is it hard to move down market but when it costs more for ACL we made assumptions about quality.

That was in part our fault, but the ACL brochures and WEB site tell some tall stories.

That said we have been happy on other major cruise lines as we adjusted our expectations (and paid far less for our cruises).

Bon Voyage for your AQ cruise!

Archived