Packing questions

cowprintrabbit

Hi, I was on Le Boreal this past January. Wonderful trip.

I won't repeat everything everyone else has said - lots of great info here. Will just echo a few things-

Definitely want a good pair of waterproof pants. And pull them OVER the boots. All you need is one splashy wave that hits the top of your boot if you have the pants tucked in and you will see why I say pull them Over the boots. You can easily clean the sides of the pants if they got dirty. My pants didn't stink, so I wouldn't worry if you take just a bit of care to wash them off a bit.

Also, I think someone mentioned this but I bought an inexpensive pair of boot liners - maybe it was felt? Anyway, was good - not just for heat retention, but for comfort. Those muck boots are not the most comfortable and you will be wearing them a lot. Don't even think about taking a different pair of boots to change into on land - way too much trouble. Just wear the muck boots and make them as comfy as possible. (But wouldn't fool with boot warmers).

I took 2 pair of silk underwear and 1 set of Cuddledowns. Both were fine, but think I preferred the silk. I used all three sets - since I would get sweaty on the morning expedition and it was nice to have dry ones for the afternoon expedition. Take several pair of warm, cushioned socks for the same reason.

One thing I believe no one has mentioned is to take a Kindle, iPad or some kind of reader. Le Boreal is a French ship and although it has a library, all the books were taken away (since were in French) and A&K replaced with nature, travel, etc books for the duration of their chartered trips on Le Boreal. So, if you are relying on the ship's library for any fiction, etc you will be out of luck.

I took a DSLR and a long lens and was very happy with the kind of shots I could get. I also had a nice pocket camera that took surprisingly good shots. Sometimes you just don't want to fool with the big camera. I would definitely take both again.

This is a fantastic trip. I am getting excited just writing about it. So much fun and so many memories. In fact, I am headed to NYC later this week to have a reunion with 4 of the people that I met on my trip. There was plenty of time for socializing as well as serious focus on the photography and enjoying the expeditions. I am ready to go again!!!

Some hardy individuals went for a dip when we landed on Half Moon Island.

Lindblad tells us to pack bathing suits (and footwear) for a dip in the "hot springs" at Deception Island (assuming we can land).... I am hoping we can, and I plan to get in the water if we do! :)

We were instructed by our alumni charter earlier this year as well, but onboard LeBoreal we were told that they don't do that. See below cut and pasted from my journal entry for that day. I hate to see anyone disappointed!

This is the shore stop where the geothermally heated waters are, as you may have figured. So, this is the stop for which we were instructed to bring swimsuits and water shoes. Now we weren't wild about that, but if we weren't prepared and missed an opportunity, we might feel bad, so we brought them. At last night's briefing, Nico did not mention it. So, when he opened for questions, those were all the questions and it became quite clear that he and his expedition staff did not do water adventures with passengers. In fact, he stated it was rarely possible and that in the case of cold water plunges, that it was now illegal. A few of the others piped up with the gist of if it wasn’t illegal that it ought to be because everyone was going to take photos of people in bathing suits that shouldn’t be wearing them and posting them on Facebook. I don’t know if any of this was true, or whether they just don’t like doing it and so they don’t. Well, it was probably true about Facebook, by which I assume they meant just posted on the Internet in general. In any event, there were a bunch of disappointed people, who had used precious luggage space and weight for no reason. It really didn’t matter to us, Clay used his swim trunks as treadmill shorts, my suit is no weight really and I wore my Mary Jane Crocs anyway.

http://antarcticaonleboreal2012.blogspot.com/

Some hardy individuals went for a dip when we landed on Half Moon Island.

We saw pictures of that, and had already decided to try to go for a run instead (we really want to run on all 7 continents...)

So no hot tub? If so, we'll use that weight for our running gear instead!

We were instructed by our alumni charter earlier this year as well, but onboard LeBoreal we were told that they don't do that. See below cut and pasted from my journal entry for that day. I hate to see anyone disappointed!

This is the shore stop where the geothermally heated waters are, as you may have figured. So, this is the stop for which we were instructed to bring swimsuits and water shoes. Now we weren't wild about that, but if we weren't prepared and missed an opportunity, we might feel bad, so we brought them. At last night's briefing, Nico did not mention it. So, when he opened for questions, those were all the questions and it became quite clear that he and his expedition staff did not do water adventures with passengers. In fact, he stated it was rarely possible and that in the case of cold water plunges, that it was now illegal. ...

???

This is from Lindblad's packing list for this season's expeditions on the Explorer:

One or two bathing suits (for the onboard sauna or a possible visit to Antarctica’s Deception Island).

Fiddlesticks - it is not remotely illegal. What a ridiculous thing for them to even suggest.

It would be pretty difficult for them to prove whose country they were proclaiming the illegality to be under. Ie the country the ship is registered in, the country the expedition team are registered in, the country of the passenger ???

Given that its not mentioned in the IAATO guidelines its clearly not illegal under those !

Our ship did it off the edge of an ice shelf in Dec - no rule book stating it was illegal there !

I am just reporting our experience onboard this past Feb. during an alumni charter. Le Boreal's expeditions staff and CD told us it was not going to happen, was impossible, or illegal, but in any event they would not do it, even though our cruise documents listed it and our packing list included bringing bathing suits and waterproof shoes for it. Just Sayin' - obviously your mileage may vary.

BTW, I don't recall going ashore anywhere in Antarctica where running would have been possible. Of course, I think every sailing may have different landings depending upon conditions, so good luck.

Just wondering how slippery it is on-shore. Is it either necessary or desirable to bring something to help you stay upright? At home or in the mountains, I use a pair of "micro-spikes" which strap onto the instep of any footwear - they're very good. They are made from plastic/nylon with small titanium spikes & they fit into a pocket very easily.

Just wondering how slippery it is on-shore. Is it either necessary or desirable to bring something to help you stay upright? At home or in the mountains, I use a pair of "micro-spikes" which strap onto the instep of any footwear - they're very good. They are made from plastic/nylon with small titanium spikes & they fit into a pocket very easily.

Go back two pages in this thread where I asked the same question and folks kindly answered it. :) (And from their answers I concluded that a walking stick would be good to have along... Query whether spikes would be a no-no....)

Go back two pages in this thread where I asked the same question and folks kindly answered it. :) (And from their answers I concluded that a walking stick would be good to have along... Query whether spikes would be a no-no....)

Sorry, I just looked through the thread and couldn't find the reference to spikes. That is my question also as someone is sending me some to take. I do have a collapsible walking stick. I am older and want to be sure I have the right equipment, but am also doing balancing exercises, etc. to prepare myself.

Sorry, I just looked through the thread and couldn't find the reference to spikes. That is my question also as someone is sending me some to take. I do have a collapsible walking stick. I am older and want to be sure I have the right equipment, but am also doing balancing exercises, etc. to prepare myself.

Apologies for the confusion. I had not asked about spikes (crampons), nor have they been discussed previously. I'd merely asked the same basic question asked by Border Reiver -- whether it was slick enough that folks thought something for support would be good to have along. (Hiking sticks have been mentioned off an on in the Antarctica threads. I've never seen anyone mention crampons.)

I have a collapsible hiking stick that also functions as a monopod for a camera, and I will likely bring that. I think anyone contemplating the use of anything like spikes or crampons should ask his/her tour operator for definitive advice.

I have proper crampons, but wouldn't consider them for anything except winter mountaineering. I also have telescoping sticks and they've almost tipped me up regularly when getting jammed between rocks - so I only use them for river crossings, - but my spikes (Griver Spider) are very small and very easily cleaned. I can walk with confidence along icy paths at home while other folk are sliding everywhere. I can fit them to any footwear I have in 30 secs.

I just wondered if anyone who had been to Antarctica had ever had problems with slipping on hard-packed snow or ice and if a solution such as mini crampons / spikes was permitted.

I did not see anyone with spikes. I did not read anything about their use being recommended or forbidden. I am certain they would not want to see them on the inflatable zodiacs! That said, you probably already figured that out and would put them on your feet onshore and remove them when time to go. I only lost my footing a few times and only slipped to one knee one time. Every time I slipped it was right at the zodiac landing because whenever possible, they landed at exposed rock and it was slippery with guano and water, not ice or snow. So, from what I saw spikes would not be any help in those conditions, of course all your landings may be different from mine. The only place my husband fell was crossing a melt stream on Deception, I went across without breaking the ice crust and when he came behind me, he broke through and his foot stuck and he fell. He was not the only one to get tripped up there! Again, spikes would not have helped. I guess I don't really have an answer for you. If you have space and weight available in your luggage and you want them, then take them and if you find you need them, and you find the are allowed then you'll have them.

I have Menieres disease and I carried a pair of collapsible walking sticks as they were on our packing list and I do have trouble with my balance. I carried them ashore in a back pack the first time ashore and they were more trouble to me than just keeping myself upright alone. I did not carry them ashore again and I never found myself wishing for them. I saw at least a few of those walking sticks wind up at the bottom of the ocean with the negotiating of loading and unloading zodiacs. So, I cannot recommend walking sticks either. I think it is up to the individual. Good luck.

We didn't find the landing beaches too much of a problem. 'Routes' off the beaches to the suggested viewing points were clearly marked and, again, we had no issues in navigating them.

The only time I felt there was a danger of a slip was when I climbed up a snowy/icy slope on Cuverville to get some 'better' photographs. Once at the top, I realised the trip back down was steeper than I had thought and without any rocks to the side with which to steady myself. My fault and a bad decision.

I did not see anyone with spikes. I did not read anything about their use being recommended or forbidden. I am certain they would not want to see them on the inflatable zodiacs! That said, you probably already figured that out and would put them on your feet onshore and remove them when time to go. I only lost my footing a few times and only slipped to one knee one time. Every time I slipped it was right at the zodiac landing because whenever possible, they landed at exposed rock and it was slippery with guano and water, not ice or snow. So, from what I saw spikes would not be any help in those conditions, of course all your landings may be different from mine. The only place my husband fell was crossing a melt stream on Deception, I went across without breaking the ice crust and when he came behind me, he broke through and his foot stuck and he fell. He was not the only one to get tripped up there! Again, spikes would not have helped. I guess I don't really have an answer for you. If you have space and weight available in your luggage and you want them, then take them and if you find you need them, and you find the are allowed then you'll have them.

I have Menieres disease and I carried a pair of collapsible walking sticks as they were on our packing list and I do have trouble with my balance. I carried them ashore in a back pack the first time ashore and they were more trouble to me than just keeping myself upright alone. I did not carry them ashore again and I never found myself wishing for them. I saw at least a few of those walking sticks wind up at the bottom of the ocean with the negotiating of loading and unloading zodiacs. So, I cannot recommend walking sticks either. I think it is up to the individual. Good luck.

Thanks for that, some good points to think about from you and others. Weight and size wise, both my mini spikes are as small as and lighter than my compact digital camera and they have a travel pouch that will fit into my trouser pocket. Best thing is to phone the people we travel with first to get their views. Shouldn't be a problem though, as they're not sharp and can be easily cleaned.

Found the best snow pants at LL Bean. Lightweight, non bulky, zippers at the lower legs, gaiters to go inside the boots. Free shipping Fits perfectly as it comes in petite too; true to size.

Found the best snow pants at LL Bean. Lightweight, non bulky, zippers at the lower legs, gaiters to go inside the boots. Free shipping Fits perfectly as it comes in petite too; true to size.

I got these a couple of weeks ago; I agree they seem perfect. (I got the insulated ones; they should be great with long johns under them.)

Today I was trying different combinations (weights) of wool socks and sock liners under my Muck Boots. I guess there won't really be any way to know which is "best" until I'm out there in the cold... :)

I got these a couple of weeks ago; I agree they seem perfect. (I got the insulated ones; they should be great with long johns under them.)

Today I was trying different combinations (weights) of wool socks and sock liners under my Muck Boots. I guess there won't really be any way to know which is "best" until I'm out there in the cold... :)

I am wearing wool socks and I bought waterproof sock/liners from Cabelas. I don't know if I will need them, but will bring them in case.

I am wearing wool socks and I bought waterproof sock/liners from Cabelas. I don't know if I will need them, but will bring them in case.

If you are only going to the peninsular etc the muckboots are very well insulated and only really need a decent merino hiking sock. Most of the time I wore thin merino liner socks except for during a blizzard that was minus 37 celcius and then I popped on the hiking socks as well.

We generally brought to many clothes and to many "spare or backup" items.

The best thing we brought was spare memory cards for the cameras, and a small pocket camera to use while on the zodiacs.

It will not be as cold as you might think. For us the coldest time was while on the zodiacs with the wind, good eye protection and something that covers most of you face is sufficient. We had many days on outside decks wearing just a long sleeve shirt.

It's a stunning, unforgettable trip of a lifetime. We are going again next year.

Happy sailing.

RonC

Hi, we are doing a "drive by" for 4 days on Azamara. I have all the camera and battery back ups, but wonder what I will need to enjoy the view from the decks?? How "bundled up" do I need to be so I don't have to go inside every 5 minutes??!!!

Hi, we are doing a "drive by" for 4 days on Azamara. I have all the camera and battery back ups, but wonder what I will need to enjoy the view from the decks?? How "bundled up" do I need to be so I don't have to go inside every 5 minutes??!!!

We wore our leather jackets and a light sweater most of the time while on deck, if misty or more wind, we wore our waterproof shell. Most others had some type of shell or windbreaker on and lightweight gloves. You may experience more wind in a drive-by sailing than we did.

Rc

Archived