Komodo Island - Additional Touring Advice

acruisergirl

Hi Denise and Denis!

Have been meaning to drop a line to keep in touch after the Equinox cruise in August. We loved meeting you and Denis, and had a ball on the Mediterranean cruise! After the cruise we spent a few days in Rome and London.

Left London on a Thursday and we arrived safely home via a short touch down in Hong Kong on the Saturday afternoon! What a marathon

I hope that you and Denis had a safe and uneventful trip home

My personal email is julie@cardifflaw.com.au Would love to hear from you!

regards :)

Julie and Peter

Julia88

I am arranging an independent tour for our HAL Volendam cruise in Nov/Dec. I'm doing it for a number of reasons...a) a smaller group, b) we get to do more than take a walk with a gazillion other passengers and c) snorkelling. The price is only a bit less than the $120. that HAL is charging.

We have to have all the names, nationalities and passport numbers on an official looking letter signed by the guide.

Here is the info I have from the guide.

1. Itinerary :

" Morning pick up from the Komodo jetty and will make a registration in Komodo national Park front office, then 2 or 4 km trekking in Komodo Island for searching Wild Komodo Dragons and other wild animals and spectacular Panorama from Sulfurea Hill as a best view point. Afterward, you will going to do a snorkeling and relaxing in pink beach. Lunch will be serve in our local boat. After enjoy it here, back in to Komodo jetty for your time to go back to your cruise ship.

2. Price Per Person :

• 4 Person : US$ 95.00
  • 5-9 Person : US$ 85.00
  • 10 - 15 Person : US$ 73.00
  • 16 - Up : US$ 59.00
  • For Kids Below 10 years old : US$ 30.00
  • If more than 20 person, one free.

3. Price Include :

• Komodo National Park entrance Fee
  • Long or short trekking in Komodo Island
  • English speaking guide
  • Lunch in Pink Beach
  • Snorkeling boat to Pink Beach
  • Snorkeling guide

4. Price Exclude :

• Komodo National Park Camera Fee ( US$10.00 per camera) & Handy cam (US$18.00 per handy cam )
  • Snorkeling gears
  • Snorkeling Fee US$10.00 per person
  • towels
  • Personal expenditures
  • Tipping

5. The payment can be settled upon arrive in Komodo Island.

I am looking forward to hear from you,asap.

Best Regards,

Jeffry Buana

mykomodo at yahoo.com

I knew I shouldn't have come back to this thread.:eek: I'm definitely going to reconsider the spa!!!:D I'll look at my husband's pictures when he comes back....he can run faster than I!!!:p

Mary

Sorry Mary, no can do. If I have to do it then so do you. Elaine

• 2 months later...
We are on an organised private tour with our rollcall. I"m beginning to get cold feet!!!

Hello,

We are a group of six booked sometime ago on the Jan 20 sailing and is only now looking into tours. Would you let us know the name of the tour company for your tour of Komodo.

Thanks,

Rosa

Hello Rosa. Unfortunately I can't help with this as I did not arrange the tour. The Jan 20th rollcall has been very active for some months and there have been tours arranged for just about every port. I suggest you post on the rollcall to see if anyone else wants to join you as I know our tour is now full. You may even find that someone else has another group going and are looking for others to join them.

I am arranging an independent tour for our HAL Volendam cruise in Nov/Dec. I'm doing it for a number of reasons...a) a smaller group, b) we get to do more than take a walk with a gazillion other passengers and c) snorkelling. The price is only a bit less than the $120. that HAL is charging.

We have to have all the names, nationalities and passport numbers on an official looking letter signed by the guide.

1. Itinerary :

" Morning pick up from the Komodo jetty and will make a registration in Komodo national Park front office, then 2 or 4 km trekking in Komodo Island for searching Wild Komodo Dragons and other wild animals and spectacular Panorama from Sulfurea Hill as a best view point. Afterward, you will going to do a snorkeling and relaxing in pink beach. Lunch will be serve in our local boat. After enjoy it here, back in to Komodo jetty for your time to go back to your cruise ship.

2. Price Per Person :

3. Price Include :

• English speaking guide
  • Lunch in Pink Beach
  • Snorkeling guide

4. Price Exclude :

• Komodo National Park Camera Fee ( US$10.00 per camera) & Handy cam (US$18.00 per handy cam )
  • Snorkeling gears
  • towels
  • Personal expenditures
  • Tipping

Best Regards,

Jeffry Buana

mykomodo at yahoo.com

Hi Jan,

Did you enjoy this Komodo tour? We are going in January 2013 on the Millennium and trying to arrange for a private tour.

Rosa

Hello Rosa,

My husband and I are also on the Jan 20th sailing and just starting to look into private tours as well. I'm ususally not this late when it comes to making arrangements. If you find out anything about adding on to the Komodo tour, or if you need additional people to join private tour (at another port) please let us know.

Thanks,

Linda and Rick

Hi Linda, Rick, and Rosa,

My husband and I are trying to arrange a private tour in Komodo. We are also on the Jan. 20th sailing with Millenium. I haven't gotten all of the details quite yet, but I'm hoping this will be a good opportunity outside of the ship's tour.

If you or anyone else is interested, please contact me at mtpoktzatcharterdotnet and I will contact you once I have all of the information :)

Melanie

Hello Rosa,

My husband and I are also on the Jan 20th sailing and just starting to look into private tours as well. I'm ususally not this late when it comes to making arrangements. If you find out anything about adding on to the Komodo tour, or if you need additional people to join private tour (at another port) please let us know.

Thanks,

Linda and Rick

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jan,

Did you enjoy this Komodo tour? We are going in January 2013 on the Millennium and trying to arrange for a private tour.

Rosa

Now that we've been home for a week I'm trying to catch up with reviews.

YES! YES! YES!

Our tour with Jeffry was fabulous! So much better than the HAL excursion.

We ended up with 30 people from our roll call partaking. I spent some time on the days before we arrived with the front office, cruise director and shore excursion manager setting up our tender time. They were extremely helpful and gracious. I had to provide the cabin numbers of everyone involved.

On the day, as soon as we were all assembled in the Ocean Bar (everyone was early!) we were taken to the tender. Jeffry met us at the pier and introduced himself and his helpers as well as the National Park ranger and local village man who accompanied us. We divided into two groups - I had the brilliant idea to split into faster and slower walkers - and took off. The guides and rangers were full of information about the trees and other fauna.

We walked for about 10 minutes and came to a water hole where there were 3 dragons and funnily enough about 6 deer not far away. We had ample time to take pictures and just view these incredible lizards. They have a weird way of looking at you that is eerie.

We then walked the circle route looking at more trees, smaller lizards and birds. The faster group walked further and saw more dragons under some buildings near the market. Jeffry and his guides supplemented the information that the park ranger supplied.

After that we were ferried out to two boats that took us to the pink sand beach. We had an Indonesian lunch on the way. It was about a half an hour ride. We snorkelled and swam at the beach for about another hour and then returned to the pier. There was time for a little shopping at the market and then we tendered back to the Volendam.

It was one of the best days ever! I highly recommend it. The only caveat is that it's a little difficult climbing in and out of the boats so not recommended for people with mobility issues.

Just a note that a pier is being built on the island for cruise ships so expect a lot more visitors. The better lace to visit will be Rinca which is doing no such thing.

Also, please try to pay the guides and souvenir vendors in IDR (Indonesian Rupiahs) instead of USD. There's no bank in the only village on the island and its a PITA for them to exchange the money. I bought US$40 off them as a courtesy today (in lieu of buying anything).

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is both amusing and alarming but the mystique of the dragon has me and I need to know more.

We will arrive at Komodo in Oct. 2013 on the Ocean Princess and I am very interested in organizing a private group.

Idog your day tour sounds just exactly what we want...dragons, water, food and snorkeling...Can you please share the tour operator you used. I have tried to find a clue to who it is but only see the name Jeffrey and couldn't find anything else.

If for some reason you do not care to post it on the thread can you please, please email me

sissygok@gmail.com

Edited by SissyG

Just a note that a pier is being built on the island for cruise ships so expect a lot more visitors. The better lace to visit will be Rinca which is doing no such thing.

That's appalling news - maybe UNESCO should consider dropping Komodo off its World Heritage list. The very thought of 2000+ passengers arriving on one ship is not only disheartening it means that none of those passengers will have anything like an authentic experience - you might as well go and see a dragon in a zoo.

You are right about Rinca - that's the place to go nowadays. I expect the dragons on Komodo will all swim over there . . .

Edited by Fletcher

• 2 weeks later...
That's appalling news - maybe UNESCO should consider dropping Komodo off its World Heritage list. The very thought of 2000+ passengers arriving on one ship is not only disheartening it means that none of those passengers will have anything like an authentic experience - you might as well go and see a dragon in a zoo.

You are right about Rinca - that's the place to go nowadays. I expect the dragons on Komodo will all swim over there . . .

For better or for worse, the amount of land you can explore (as a tourist) in either place is very limited so the authorities are trying to maximise access while simultaneously limiting impact. The "long" hike in Komodo is limited to those who get there before ~8-9a and will take a fit and mobile person no more than 45 minutes. The short and medium loops, I estimate won't take more than 10-30 minutes. No more extended tours. Same with Rinca even with limited access. Of course a good tip to a guide may get you a longer hike. From what I see, there is probably feeding so that even those who do the short walk will see a monitor.

• 4 weeks later...

We visited the park on the Jan 20th celebrity millenium cruise...we were part of the large group...but our subgroup was 7 with our own guide. He gave us a choice of the 1 hour 90 minute or 2 hour walk and we did what most would do, we said 90 minutes :) There is a water hole, not far from the park station where you start the walk that is a natural collection point for the dragons...and yes, there were some six or so dragons there....some up on their feet (they really can accelerate very quickly), most lying down. The rangers were very attentive and careful...joining forces, just in case one decided to mosey our way. We didn't know at the time that one had just attacked two rangers in their office the previous week (and one bit another ranger just last week).....they do view you as an enemy, and perhaps as a meal.....and they are not pets folks....and there is nothing between you and the dragons except for that one guy who carries only a stick (no gun/no other weapon).

I think you are safe...that's why I did it, but if you do get hurt, it's not like the US....there is no one to sue, etc.....you're on your own. It's cute when someone says "you only have to run faster than the person behind you" but be aware of what you are doing and the risks....

The weather was hot and humid...and I'm being kind. While we had booked a full day tour visiting the village and pink beach, I was so hot after just the walk that I opted to just get on the tender and go back to the ship....I had seen what I really wanted to see...the dragons in their natural habitat. Once you go to the village, you're locked in to the pink beach....but if you just do the walk, the boats to the village and the tenders use the same dock.

It was worth the visit....those that stayed on the ship missed something special....seeing some rare animals in their native habitats.

Well, I was one of the originals in that huge group on the Jan 20 sailing but had to cancel the cruise...have just rebooked for next year and am definitely getting a group together for this tour.

The pictures I've seen and the reviews of the whole day (including awesome snorkeling at pink beach) make this a must do tour.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were also passengers on the Jan. 20 sailing, and my husband was part of the large private tour to Komodo. I preferred not to go on this particular tour, because I knew that I would have a difficult time doing the walk, due to the heat and humidity. I also didn't feel like I missed going on the tour. As I looked out onto the island and beaches, from our cabin, I was able to see (with the help of binoculars), four dragons, walking and/or sunning themselves on a beach. Unfortunately, my husband had the camera and lenses with him, so I wasn't able to try to get pictures.

According to my husband, he enjoyed the visit to the village school to see the children perform for the group. His disappointment, however, was that the gifts that visitors seem intent on bringing to the children, were collected, placed into a box, and stored in a room at the school. No one was able to see the children's reaction upon receiving the gifts. This made him wonder exactly what happens to all that has been collected.

His visit to Pink Beach was also a welcome respite after the hot walk. He found the water refreshing, and mentioned that snorkeling was good, with many colorful fish in the waters.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

1. Itinerary :

2. Price Per Person :

3. Price Include :

• English speaking guide
  • Lunch in Pink Beach
  • Snorkeling guide

4. Price Exclude :

• Snorkeling gears
  • towels
  • Personal expenditures
  • Tipping

Best Regards,

Jeffry Buana

mykomodo at yahoo.com

We have booked with this guy for our cruise in March on Azamara Journey.

David