Sneeky price drop ploy??

hannahouse

While checking for price drops today, a new rate came up - "Fun for All Sale". This rate is actually $200 higher per cabin than the rate I have now, but it gives me a $300 OBC, effectively making it $100 cheaper per cabin. Since some people might have to pay more on the front end, do you think Carnival instituted this be able to do more discounting without being hit with a lot of ES claims?

There is no disclaimer about the rate being for new bookings only, which is usually present when you see OBC offered.

Yes, I've seen them before...but there was either a disclaimer about new bookings only, OR the rate with OBC was so high as to offset the savings. This is the first time I've ever seen the net cost per room this low. On my sailing, this net price is $100 cheaper than the lowest price I've seen on this sailing.

I think it would discourage some people from price matching if they had to give carnival $200 in exchange for a $300 OBC, hence allowing them to offer a deep discount without the fear of tons of people sending in price protection claims. I hope that makes sense, lol

This is from the fare-viewer site:

Disclaimers:

Cash back is provided as a refundable onboard credit to your Sail & Sign account up to $75 per person up to a maximum of $150 per stateroom for 3-5 day sailings and up to $150 per person up to a maximum of $300 per stateroom for 6+ day sailings through May 2013 as well as select 2013 Alaska and Europe sailings. If your Sail & Sign account has a cash balance at the end of the cruise after all authorized purchases have been applied to the account, any remaining unused portion of the cash back onboard credit will be delivered in check form to your stateroom on the morning of debarkation with your final Sail & Sign statement. Reduced deposits are based off the full per person deposit amount and may vary by ship and sail date.

As you can see, it's fully refundable, so it's just like a cash rebate?

Fun for All also carries a 50% deposit reduction along with the OBC.

FUN FOR ALL. ALL FOR FUN.® Carnival is having a sale! Book your clients between Monday, September 24, 2012 through Wednesday, September 26, 2012 on sailings through May 2013 and they’ll receive up to $300 cash back per stateroom PLUS 50% reduced deposits. That’s up to $300 on their Sign & Sail card to spend any way they like! Please note cash back amounts may vary by number of nights, ship and sailing.
Terms and Conditions: General Offer

Cruise rates are in U.S. dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Cash Back offer is non-transferable. Cash Back is provided as a refundable credit to your Sail & Sign account of up to $75 per person up to a maximum of $150 per stateroom for 3-5 day sailings and up to $150 per person up to a maximum of $300 per stateroom for 6+ day sailings. Cash Back amounts may vary based on availability, ship and sail date. If your Sail & Sign account has a cash balance at the end of the cruise after all authorized purchases have been applied to the account, any remaining unused portion of the onboard credit will be delivered in check form to your stateroom on the morning of debarkation with your final Sail & Sign statement. Cash Back may not be applied to cruise fare or government taxes and fees.

Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Combinable with Fun Select rates only. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. Rates are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Valid on new bookings only. Reduced deposits are based off the full per person deposit amount and may vary by ship and sail date. Offer is applicable on select sailings through May 2013 as well as select 2013 Alaska and Europe sailings. Must book between 9/24/12-9/26/12. Please request fare code OCB. Ships’ Registry: The Bahamas, Panama and Malta.

While checking for price drops today, a new rate came up - "Fun for All Sale". This rate is actually $200 higher per cabin than the rate I have now, but it gives me a $300 OBC, effectively making it $100 cheaper per cabin. Since some people might have to pay more on the front end, do you think Carnival instituted this be able to do more discounting without being hit with a lot of ES claims?

There is no disclaimer about the rate being for new bookings only, which is usually present when you see OBC offered.

As Early Saver you can price-match to this by buying-up to the sale price and then receiving the OBC. You have to account for the OBC that you received, in subsequent price matches. ken

Total price for the cruise we are looking at, with the "SALE", is $100 higher than it was last week at the "past guest rate". That's taking the on-board credit into account. Sometimes a "sale" is not a "sale". Gotta watch the prices over a period of time to be sure.

It is the same price for me and the DW as it has been for the last few days. I show a $100 OBC, not $300, a little misleading. We thought, "Maybe if we book a balcony.". Moved it from OV to Balcony and the OBC disappears. Not sure what is going on, there.

I asked the wife to call our PVP, but she has not yet, since we are going with another couple and we are booking everything at the same time.

All in all....not a sale on our end.

Thanks, everyone...

Different cruises have different amounts of OBC...we have 2 coming up, and the first gives $300 per cabin, and even factoring in the "higher" cruise price still comes out $100 cheaper per cabin. On the second cruise, the OBC is only $200 and still not cheaper than what I'm paying now.

Still think it's a sneaky way to publish a fare and not trigger lots of price drops :rolleyes: For this cruise, it's $80 less than the guarantee rate that came out last week.

It's no different than your local grocery store advertising 2 for $5 when the everyday price is 1 for $2.49:eek:

True...but there are also consumers who believe you have to purchase 2 to get the sale price. That's why I said this is a bit sneaky...they will give me $300 OBC if I'll give them $200 now. It's still $100 OBC net to me, but how many people are going to actually do that? It's a way to put a price of $649 (in my case) pp out there, and structure it in such a way most ES'ers arent going to price match to it.

Archived