Scubagirl: water taxi to Atlantis question

poppydawg

As far as the jitneys are concerned, do you have to go to Festival Place and pay or do you just go over to where they are docked to pay? Is there any other info that I might need to know about what to do or NOT to do? Thanks.

To get the water taxi, you buy tickets on the wharf.. look for the captains gathering near the kiosk. They run 9-6pm.. if there is noone manning the booth.. you can pay onboard. $4pp

As for jitneys.. you board on George Street.. off bay street across from the straw market entrance. Pay as you leave the bus.. $1.25pp Jitneys DO NOT go to Atlantis.. they are not allowed on Paradise Island

Thanks. I just searched around and read a bunch of horror stories about the water taxis. Are they really that bad? If so, im thinkin a taxi is the way to go. What do you think?

Personally, I love the water taxi... take it nearly everyday. Captains are licensed, boats are inspected and insured.. Yes, they pack on people.. but all boats have a passenger limit determined by the U.S. Coast Guard and Port Authority..

It's an experience I've grown to love. Keep in mind.. each captain has 30 minutes to load as many peeps as they can to their limit.. so you can wait up to 30 minutes to leave.

That doesnt sound too bad. Can you tell me about the cabs there?

You can pick up a cab outside the port exit.. Van's line up to shuttle cruisers to Atlantis or other popular locations. Atlantis is $4pp. Plus tip/

Coming back.. if there is not shuttle available, the union cab rate is $11 for 2 ppl, $3 for ea. add'l person. plus tip

Just want to add.. on the water taxi, you'll find a "tour guide" who points out interesting locations along the way. He works on tips. A dollar or two will suffice. Some folks get annoyed by this.. I don't mind.. I know some of these guys and can do this tour in my sleep, but giving a buck to a guide won't break me.. and it's how they make a living.

Just want to add.. on the water taxi, you'll find a "tour guide" who points out interesting locations along the way. He works on tips. A dollar or two will suffice. Some folks get annoyed by this.. I don't mind.. I know some of these guys and can do this tour in my sleep, but giving a buck to a guide won't break me.. and it's how they make a living.

I agree with you, however we have seen some of the "guides" pretty much demand money from the passengers and a $1 or $2 was not enough for him. That turned me off and was the last time I took the water taxi. I understand that was the exception, but when I am there to enjoy my vacation I don't want to be hassled like that.

Have also seen a captain "circle" a bit for the guide to finish up his schpeel and collect his tips.

Why would there not be a shuttle to come back in? How about coming back on the water taxi?

Unless there is enough people to fill up a van (hence the pp price).. then you'll end up paying the union rate.. which is $11 for up to 2 ppl.. and $3 for ea. add'l person.

Water taxi's end at 6pm.. and are not reliable if you are on tight schedule.

Archived