Sun Princess near Super Typhoon

bazzaw

SP is in Hong Kong today - and will head to Shanghai on Sunday. BUT there is a "Super" Typhoon, apparently equivalent to a Force 4 Hurricane nearby. Well actually it is 1000 klms away, but in terms of sea heights , that is close :o Too close for me :eek:

HKtyphoonSmall.jpg

We have friends on this cruise - but have not heard from them

Barry

I have a friend on this cruise who has been on my facebook. She did mention the cyclone was nearby , but that was all:confused:

I am sure the captain will go out of his way to keep them clear of it.... but I agree, those seas will still be big.

Poor Sun Princess, whats with her and tropical cyclones!! (or as they call them in Asia Typhoons), as they seem to like to chase her!!

Yeah, they're Typhoons in Asia K_c, Typhoon being a rough anglicization of the Chinese words "Tai Fung" - which [very] loosely translates to Supreme Wind.

According to the US Govt NOAA weather service a Super Typhoon has sustained surface winds in excess of 130knots or 150mph [240km/h].

Equivalent to over a cat 5 cyclone in this part of the world, or a cat 5 Hurricane in the NW Atlantic

A bit scary. :eek:

Looking at Google Earth, it seems that the eye of the storm has moved a little north of Taiwan - whereas yesterday it was located off Taiwan. SP will also be heading north to Shanghai when she leaves Honkers.

Barry

have you been reading the blog from the guy on the amsterdam... what started out to be 8 days at sea is now turning into 10 days at sea.... they missed their first port due to bad weather...

our friends on the sun have written that there has been some swell they are contending with...

have you been reading the blog from the guy on the amsterdam... what started out to be 8 days at sea is now turning into 10 days at sea.... they missed their first port due to bad weather...our friends on the sun have written that there has been some swell they are contending with.

Diamond Princess will be running into it as well.She is due up there round about now. She was late leaving Alaska due to high winds and now this....

Oh Boy talk about a rough ride.

Archived