Birth Certificate Questions

JJS2K3

My wife and I both have our NYC issued, raised seal, birth certificates. We will probably get passports anyway.

My wife's birth certificate obiously has her maiden name and ours is her second marraige. Does she need any additional ID such as marraige/divorce stuff for cruise documents?

Same question for passports - will they need documentation on her name changes from marraiges/divorce?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Elation!

Yes, she will need both her marriage papers (both marriages) and her divorce papers along with her birth certificate. When getting passports, which at this point is easiest, she will need the same information. I highly suggest getting the passports, then that's the only i.d. she will need to take with her for the cruise, makes life so much easier.

I do have a passport but have also traveled with my passport. My birth certificate also has my maiden name but other than the questions on passport application about my marriage etc. I never provide proof for way I have a differnt name from my birth certficate.

The Moyers

Dennis & Debbie

Navigator of the Seas 9/18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The way I read the Original Poster, they were asking if they needed these documents for the cruise. If you have a passport, you will not need any birth certificates or other ID documentation to board the ship, you will want to take your driver license for a second ID.

Go to http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html . for information on any documents you will need to secure a passport. Follow the directions carefully, or they will not accept your application.

Your cruise documents must match your passport name.

Kathy

To clarify my original muddled post so maybe this info will help others with the same questions.

I was asking

1) If we did not get a passport would my wife need documentation other than a birth certificate and drivers license since the last name on the birth certificate would naturally be different.

2) Same question for getting a passport - would she need wedding/divorce papers?

I've looked over the passport sites a few times and I can not see where it says that she would need documentation other than a certified birth certificate and valid drivers license.

This will be a surprise cruise for Nancy so it would be difficult for me to come up with her old marriage/divorce papers.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Elation!

I don't have a passport and my birth certificate has my maiden name. I have NEVER been asked, when boarding a ship, for anything other than my BC and my driver's license. I've never carried or been asked for a marriage license.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

Ok. I also got this from NPIC:

You need to prove how your name changed each time with the marriage/divorce certificates.

Thank you. 033

National Passport Information Center

So to get on the ship it's just a drivers license and certified birth certificate.

To get a passport you need to prove how your name changed.

Thanks!

Elation!

The ones who have never been asked to prove why their names are different from BC to license are very lucky. This happened to a friend of mine. She was on a trip to Mexico and her name on her BC, obviously, was different than her license. Thank god she thought to take her marriage certificate with her, she was asked for it when entering Mexico. She asked what would have happened if she didn't have that information with her, they told her she could be denied access into Mexico. So from that day forward, I always tell everyone to take their marriage certificate with them or better yet, GET THE PASSPORT, THEN NO PROBLEMS. I would just hate for someone not to take that information with them and get denied boarding. Better to be safe than sorry.

We are cruising to Alaska with embarkation in Vancouver BC.We decided not to get passports,so I will be taking Birth Certificate,Marriage License (2nd)and ID to verify name change. I don't believe you will need to track down divorce papers. icon_smile.gif

I agree with some of the posters in that get a passport. We used to travel with birth certificates, marriage licenses etc, and when we went through customs, immigration ,the time spent with them was very slow compared to having a passport which you open it to your picture and you are waved right through. I could not believe how much time is saved. Get passports.

Marilyn

Thanks for the great information. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on the NCL Dawn in September. We've decided to avoid the hassle and just get our passports now. It's hard enough carrying all the paperwork, luggage, carry on and water bottles without having to worry about your carrying all your personal identification paperwork too.

Thanks again

G

Getting a passport is not as easy as it sounds. I am bringing my 17 yo (will be 18 in a few weeks) granddaughter with me in June. We applied for a passport. Because her mother changed her name 13 years ago (cannot come up with legal documents) and so she actually has two names now--the Passport people denied her. You would not believe what we have to go through to get records from all kinds of public places (schools, drs. etc etc.) to prove she has had this name at least 5 years.She does not have a drivers license, so if she is denied again with the documentation I am re-sending---will a Picture ID from the Registry of MV. and a birth Cert. (two names, again) pass on the ship and in ports? Will they question two names?

You can bet they will question two names. Something like that raises red flags of kidnapping and things like that. You will definitely need proof of some kind, legal proof, that there was a legal name change. You may have to go to court in order to straighten this out.

Darcie

On April 17th, immediately after we booked out cruise, I applied for my passport. A friend that we are traveling with applied the same day. My ex-husband, who I am also traveling with, applied 3 days later. The friend received his passport last week. My ex-husband's came yesterday. No problems. Mine on the other hand, was denied until I could provide many other supporting documents (at least 5 yrs old) and fill out a supplemental information sheet (very detailed) to "further establish my identity".

I spoke to a customer service rep and she was very helpful. Of course, she couldn't tell me for sure, but she did lead me to believe that it was probably because I didn't provide proof of a marriage or divorce. I overnighted the passport agency about 17 different documents to help "further establish my identity". I hope it works.

It would be so much easier if at the time we are filling out our passport applications, the need for these documents is pointed out to us. All that I was told was needed were the birth certificate and driver's license. Now, I guess I just sit back and hope and pray that they like what I sent them.

We applied for our passports last Spring. This being my 2nd marriage, There was places on the form to provide dates of marriages and divorces that I had to go online to find out the exact dates....but never had to provide paper documentation. My husband and I both received our passports in about 3 weeks.

In addition, in 4 cruises and several fly-ins to Jamaica and Mexico, I have never been asked for divorce or marriage papers. I took everything on our first cruise and never bothered again when no one was interested in looking at them. Maybe I was just "lucky"...but one agent said they just match up the picture, name and date of birth.

9/2000 Carnival Tropicale

12/2001 NCL Norway

9/2002 NCL Norway

10/2003 Disney Wonder

2005...Alaska

I just went down and applied for a passport. I asked about marriage licenses and divorce papers and was told the only time they would need something like that was if you ever had a passport in a different name. Since this is my first passport, it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived