Insurance: what should be in the plan

cmason

I am about to OK the purchase of my cruise insurance, which looks like good coverage, but realised I have no idea what "good coverage" is. Any suggestions, lists or other guidance on what to ensure that it has?

It covers Trip Cancellation and Interuption at Total Trip cost, trip delay and missed connection to $1000, $50K medical, $50K med evac, $50K sickness, baggage to $1500, and delay to $500.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...left until Navigator of the Seas 11/13/04

Good Medical is important since many insurance companies and medicare do not cover out of country expenses. Also, should offer protection against financial default on the part of the cruise line. Although none of the major cruise lines have a problem right now, in the past few years a couple of companies went bankrupt. Those who bought insurance through the cruiseline were out of luck as the insurance was no good as well as the cruise.

Don

Ditto above. You said it covers $1000.00 dollars for interupption ect. Check prices of planes ect for trip home if you miss the ship anywhere, also how much your total trip is ie Air, hotels, meals and ship. For instance you got your plane for $300.00 on sale but if you had to return home the same day that your ship was in port it could be $1000.00 by itself plus hotel and food. Hotel you would pay at reg rate. Also make sure your whole trip is covered from the time you leave the house to the time you return including pre/post cruise stays. Make sure you have baggage coverage too. Also read and see what you are allowed to cancel for ie mom and dad become involved in car accident can you cancel at last minute. Lost of your job. You break an arm/leg. You need an operation.

Yours does sound good but read if you have to send in to your medical insurance first, wait for their letter then put in a claim (timeline here). Hopefully you never need it but you are a smart one to have it. I never travel without.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

[This message was edited by CaptData on 04-22-04 at 08:43 AM.]

Also just pre-existing clause if you are other have medical problems.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

OK, here a couple more points. One is serious, the other is in jest. You figure them out!

A lot of the third party insurers will include an "Anti Newt" waiver for a mere $3 to $5 per week per person. If you are a regular reader of posts on this board, you know what I mean. If he is on your cruise, YOU GET ALL OF YOUR MONEY BACK, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO ADDITIONAL PAPERWORK. This is a no-brainer if you are sailing on Celebrity.

Third party policies allow you to increase the face value of your policy to include lodging and transportation not provided by the cruise line. If you book an insurance policy with the cruise line, it only covers the money you spent with the cruise line. If you book air, lodging or ground transportation seperately, a third-party policy is better.

If you are not sure about which answer is the truth, it is number two. Newt is a figment of someone's imagination or could it be a fignewton from Nabisco or whatever. I am getting verry verrrry verrrrrrrrrrry sleeeeeppppy.

Bye,

Les

Archived