Dogs on the Dream?

pomlover

The singer need a service dog, sounds like to me she just wanted to bring her dog,!!!

Anyone that needs a service dog should bring it but I am sure the system is going to be abused.

There are plenty of wounded veterans out there that need a service dog, but I would not be happy to pay for a cabin with a barking dog next door, if it is really a service dog would not bark.

:p

I am still waiting for an answer as to how much food the owner of the Great Dane needed to bring on board. And where was it stored? in the cabin? in the kitchen?

It doesn't make any sense to me that service dog or not, how a Great Dane could have been reasonably cared for on a ship.

I have a Newfoundland and full grown giant breeds don't eat more than a Golden Retriever. My dog eats under 10 pounds of kibble per week and he's around 150 pounds.

101_2342.jpg

101_2347.jpg

On our last cruise i brought our dog Blanco, well just a cut out of the dog,It was the first time my wife and i left our dog behind .so i took a photo of Blanco and mounted it on 3/4 plywood So i took it on the cruise to surprise my wife,since she was feeling bad about leaving Blanco behind Our dog blanco was the hit of the ship,everyone that seen him from a distance thought he was a real dog. We even took it to the captains dinner,we even made a collar for Blanco with tags we made from the excursions papers we got at the door every day ,we cut every port we went to an placed it onto the collar......By the end of the trip Blanco was well know around the ship........I thought i would share this with you all

When we were on the Spirit in May, there were two service dogs on board. One was for a woman who was blind. It took me awhile to even know she was blind. My DH and I talked for quite awhile to her and her husband about the dog ( all the while I admit I was trying to figure what service the dog was providing). She told us that their dog refused to use the box and they were very worried about thim. This was his first trip off land. When we got to our first port, they immediately took the poor dog off the ship and he was finally comfortable. I was amazed at how well that lady handled her handicap. I wish I could be that strong and optimistic. She was amazing!

I'm curious as to whether there are ports that would refuse to allow dogs entry to their country.

Carnival's website talks about this. See below:

Service Animals

Carnival Cruise Lines does permit guests to travel on board with specially- trained service dogs (e.g., dog guides, hearing-ear dogs, working dogs). Please note that many of our ports of call have established strict entry requirements for animals. Therefore, guests who wish to disembark in ports of call should contact their service dog's veterinarian office or www.pettravel.com to determine the policy of each destination regarding admission of service dogs to the particular country. Pets are not permitted onboard.

101_2342.jpg

101_2347.jpg

On our last cruise i brought our dog Blanco, well just a cut out of the dog,It was the first time my wife and i left our dog behind .so i took a photo of Blanco and mounted it on 3/4 plywood So i took it on the cruise to surprise my wife,since she was feeling bad about leaving Blanco behind Our dog blanco was the hit of the ship,everyone that seen him from a distance thought he was a real dog. We even took it to the captains dinner,we even made a collar for Blanco with tags we made from the excursions papers we got at the door every day ,we cut every port we went to an placed it onto the collar......By the end of the trip Blanco was well know around the ship........I thought i would share this with you all

When I first saw the photos I thought you had "Photoshopped" the dog into the picture... nice move for the wife!

I understand some people may use dogs for vision problems etc. but there is something I haven't seen discussed yet.

I'm sure there are other people out there that have allergic reactions to dogs. I have recently discovered I have asthma and being in a room with a dog (or leftover dander from various animals) causes me to have an asthma attack.

Has anyone had an issue with this? I'm highly allergic to dogs so I can only imagine what would happen if there was a dog at my table during dinner :eek:

I have a 2 year old black lab. He is the smartest lab we have ever had. About 9 months ago he started "alerting" me to high and low blood sugars. I am a diabetic. He is amazing. Talked to doctor and he said this was not unusual for a lab.

I would never think of bringing this dog on a cruise with me. He could be certified says my doctor but he is my pet. He just happens to be very smart. Again he is mt pet.

There are diabetic dogs out there for this reason. They are Certified to travel with their person anywhere anytime. I would never question a service dog in use. Or What they are used for. You cannot "see" all medical problems.

I was thinking along the same lines. I know some people sleep with their dogs in the bed, let their dogs climb on the beds, furniture, etc.. but **I** do not want to sleep with your dog. The comforters/bedspreads/blankets are not washed frequently. Sheets are, but not the rest. I do not want to sleep in a bed that had a dog on it (clean dog, dirty dog, service dog, dumb dog...doesn't matter). We purposely avoid some hotel chains that allow dogs and do not have specific "pet rooms" set aside for those people. If Carnival is going to allow pets, they should have specific rooms set aside for those so those of us not wanting to sleep with the hounds don't have to.

ETA: For those thinking I am a dog hater, I'm not. We have an adorable dog that we've had 6 years but she doesn't sleep on our bed, nor does she climb on our furniture. We have animals (dog, cats, bunny). I like animals. I don't want to sleep with them. We have a service dog that comes into my work place often. It is a beautiful dog that services an awesome purpose for a lady with a disability. But sadly due to that same disability, the dog isn't the cleanest dog. I love the lady, love the dog but wouldn't want to share a bed with it.

I understand some people may use dogs for vision problems etc. but there is something I haven't seen discussed yet.

I'm sure there are other people out there that have allergic reactions to dogs. I have recently discovered I have asthma and being in a room with a dog (or leftover dander from various animals) causes me to have an asthma attack.

Has anyone had an issue with this? I'm highly allergic to dogs so I can only imagine what would happen if there was a dog at my table during dinner :eek:

I was thinking along the same lines. I know some people sleep with their dogs in the bed, let their dogs climb on the beds, furniture, etc.. but **I** do not want to sleep with your dog. The comforters/bedspreads/blankets are not washed frequently. Sheets are, but not the rest. I do not want to sleep in a bed that had a dog on it (clean dog, dirty dog, service dog, dumb dog...doesn't matter). We purposely avoid some hotel chains that allow dogs and do not have specific "pet rooms" set aside for those people. If Carnival is going to allow pets, they should have specific rooms set aside for those so those of us not wanting to sleep with the hounds don't have to.

ETA: For those thinking I am a dog hater, I'm not. We have an adorable dog that we've had 6 years but she doesn't sleep on our bed, nor does she climb on our furniture. We have animals (dog, cats, bunny). I like animals. I don't want to sleep with them. We have a service dog that comes into my work place often. It is a beautiful dog that services an awesome purpose for a lady with a disability. But sadly due to that same disability, the dog isn't the cleanest dog. I love the lady, love the dog but wouldn't want to share a bed with it.

They don't "allow" dogs only service animals. They do not have to be a dog.

Carnival does not have a choice but to "allow" these animals. They are allowed anywhere their person goes. Of curse that is a legal service animal.

It's not the dog, it's the dander people respond to.

As for a dog at your table, would you honestly stay at the table?

If one is "allergic" to smoke, do they expose themselves to the smoking area? Same with diet restrictions due to allergy.

If you were petting the dog, it was not a service dog. No petting of service dogs ever, except when not in service mode, which would mean in the cabin.

Service dogs are NOT pets, and if they are treated as such, then are not service dogs.

I have heard this too but it's simply not true. I know a man that is paralyzed and he has a beautiful English Yellow Lab, the dog is an attention hound, loves being petted and loved and his owner loves seeing him happy and encourages it also.

It may the personality of the dog as to which ones are allowed to pet and love while working, because for people like the blind, or paralyzed, they are pretty much always working, it'd be cruel to not socialize an animal just because they are a working dog.

I do know the dogs that are drug or bomb sniffing are not allowed to be touched on duty.

I worked in a prison and once in awhile they would check employees as they came to work, you had to sit on a chair while the dog sniffed you and your belongings. The dog could see how much I wanted to pet it (I'm a dog FREAK) and he gave me a sweet, sly lick at the end.:D

Or maybe he just wanted me to share my sandwich that I brought for lunch lol.

Carole

Documentation is definitely needed to bring a service animal onboard a ship.

I work for a large corporation that manufactures diabetic meters and strips along with cardiac equipment. There are many small breeds that are trained to detect sugar levels in severe diabetics. Many of these dogs are breeds that don't shed such as poodles, maltese, etc., so these are dogs that are good to be around people who might have a problem with dander. We are used to seeing some of these dogs around our campus here as there are some of our researchers and scientists who themselves are diabetics and chose this field of work because they want to find a cure for diabetes. Some severe diabetics can slip into a diabetic coma at night and these dogs can detect the severe shift in someone's sugar level and will alert either the diabetic or a family member who might otherwise be asleep when this happens.

I think people are so used to seeing larger dogs such as labs and shepherds being used for sight impaired people that when they see one of these smaller dogs, they assume the owner is just bringing their pet along and not really understanding that there are legitimate reasons to have a small service dog. Just because you can't outwardly see someone's disability doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Uncontrollable seizures and diabetes are two medical conditions that definitely can benefit from these types of animals.

One of my co-workers here passed away in his sleep about 4 years ago because he had severe diabetes. He lived alone and if he had owned one of the diabetic trained service dogs, he might be alive today.

but really - the same argument could be made for any allergin. I have severe reactions to people's perfume, and don't get me started about the effect flowers can have on me! I also have to carry an Epi pen in case I come in contact with honey (and you'd be surprised where it's hidden). What about those with a peanut allergy or a shellfish allergy?

And Carnival isn't allowing "pets"; there are allowing service animals - they are very different.

The Basset may come with you. I suggest that those of you check out Section 4.13 Florida Statutes which provides that public accomodations cannot require certification of a service animal. A proprietor may ask you whether it is a service animal and what the disability is that requires the service animal, but frequently in grocery stores, night clubs and restaurants, the disability is described as "hearing" and the animal is useful for hearing sounds.

I heard (but haven't confirmed) that there is at least one lawsuit pending that challenges whether or not one has to identify a disability under the statute.

My guess is that if an animal is of assistance to you in any way, it would be permitted.

Archived