HOU Departure Time?

Joyous1022

Hi - I must say I booked the 3/3/2013 Carnival Magic before doing much research and now I'm spending more time figuring out the airport/port/airport logistics than researching my ports of call. Never dreamed this part of it would be such a drama.

For those who have been through this, what would be the earliest flight time out of HOU that you would book?

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.

signed . . . .frustrated planner

Personally I would make it after 3pm.

You can easily make a 1145am flight if you walk your luggage off but if immigratioon forgets to show up on time and if you have to many Nationals onboard it can delay you debarkation

Thanks for the info.

Is the Galveston Port really that much of a hassle for debarkation? I am considering canceling this cruise and booking one out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale. I cruise in/out of San Juan and didn't have this much trouble making plans.

Thanks for the info.

Is the Galveston Port really that much of a hassle for debarkation? I am considering canceling this cruise and booking one out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale. I cruise in/out of San Juan and didn't have this much trouble making plans.

I made this same mistake!! We are trying to find transportation from Houston to Galveston and are having a He** of a time! This is just impossible esp with a large group - I wish I would've researched Galveston before booking our cruise - your lucky you can still get out! HA HA

We just sailed in and out on the Disney Magic last week. We flew into IAH and booked the Disney shuttle for $30 pp each way. Well worth it.

The drive from IAH was about 1 hr 20 minutes to the port and only about 1 hr 10 minutes from Port to IAH.

HOU is much closer so I would guess about 45 minutes each way. We had no problems...BUT we carried off our luggage and got right onto the first shuttle. Those that checked bags were delayed in receiving them after they debarked and our shuttle left with only 11 people on the bus because some needed to catch flights and they didn't want to wait any longer. We finally pulled out from the dock at 9:00 am and people that checked luggage were still not receiving it. I would highly recommend you carry your luggage off and debark as soon as they open the ship. (We were off at about 7:50 am.)

Thanks for the info.

Every port csan have issues it just depends on what it is.

While it isnt as easy as cruising out of POM or FLL. It does take a little more patience and money. Take a deep breath it will be OK.

Just allow for some extra time for your flights and it will be fine.

i personally havt had any issues cruising out of Galveston but we can drive to the port

The cruises out of Galveston tend to be more exxpensive and the Flights as well. But it is a nice port to cruise out of. Galveston is cute, has good food and really nice people. I would recommend it to anyone

But If you are thinking of changing cruises I will suggest NOLA

We just sailed in and out on the Disney Magic last week. We flew into IAH and booked the Disney shuttle for $30 pp each way. Well worth it.

The drive from IAH was about 1 hr 20 minutes to the port and only about 1 hr 10 minutes from Port to IAH.

HOU is much closer so I would guess about 45 minutes each way. We had no problems...BUT we carried off our luggage and got right onto the first shuttle. Those that checked bags were delayed in receiving them after they debarked and our shuttle left with only 11 people on the bus because some needed to catch flights and they didn't want to wait any longer. We finally pulled out from the dock at 9:00 am and people that checked luggage were still not receiving it. I would highly recommend you carry your luggage off and debark as soon as they open the ship. (We were off at about 7:50 am.)

I wish Carnival offered that - they have it but not to your hotel you'd have to go to the port and we are flying in a day earlier to IAH

My son read where people fly in the day before, stay at hotel close to airport and then take shuttle back to airport the next day and grab the Carnival shuttle to port. That kind of defeats the purpose of seeing Galveston. Oh well, as they say - it is what it is. I'd cancel in a heartbeat but DS wants to cruise on the Magic.

My son read where people fly in the day before, stay at hotel close to airport and then take shuttle back to airport the next day and grab the Carnival shuttle to port. That kind of defeats the purpose of seeing Galveston. Oh well, as they say - it is what it is. I'd cancel in a heartbeat but DS wants to cruise on the Magic.

That was our reason also - we just picked the ship we wanted never considered the hassle of the port - but it'll be ok maybe we can hitch hike with our group of 11 and luggage to galveston HA HA

We are on this same cruise and the transportation is a hassle. We are coming in 2 days early and staying in Downtown Houston (catching a Rockets game and going to the galleria for some shopping) since wev'e never been to Houston. We will probably hire a car to take us to the port and use the carnival shuttle for the return. By the way we are flying into Hobby....

• 2 weeks later...

Joyous - Carnival offers a Shuttle Service to and from the Airport to the Port of Galveston. The shuttle is for both airports, Hobby and Bush. The price is cheaper for Hobby. I just got off the Magic on Sunday and I would say if you can help it, Don't Cancel. The Magic is a fun ship with LOTS of things to do. I would go back on it in a Heartbeat. We're in Ohio too and it was cheaper for us to fly into Bush Airport. It wasn't bad at all using the cruise lines shuttle service. We got to the port early and had time to hit CVS for pop, water and snacks for the cabin. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise on the Magic!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with MzOhioLady - don't cancel if you don't have to. We sailed on the Magic's second voyage in Europe, May 2011 and fell in love with the ship. We can't wait for our 12/16/12 trip! We've sailed out of Galveston before, and it is definitely a bigger pain than other ports, but it's a great ship and a great itinerary, and the inconvenience is minor in comparison (imho). We're staying at a hotel near IAH the night before, taking the free hotel shuttle back to the airport, and then taking Carnival's shuttle to the port.

For the one who is the party of 11...call suppershuttle, they will give you a great deal for the amount of people you have, Usually the more people the less money.

If you dont want to carry your luggage off...grab a porter they can make getting out of the terminal a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...
Joyous - Carnival offers a Shuttle Service to and from the Airport to the Port of Galveston. The shuttle is for both airports, Hobby and Bush. The price is cheaper for Hobby. I just got off the Magic on Sunday and I would say if you can help it, Don't Cancel. The Magic is a fun ship with LOTS of things to do. I would go back on it in a Heartbeat. We're in Ohio too and it was cheaper for us to fly into Bush Airport. It wasn't bad at all using the cruise lines shuttle service. We got to the port early and had time to hit CVS for pop, water and snacks for the cabin. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise on the Magic!

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. I am flying in the day before my sailing on the Magic. I have booked Carnival's shuttle service to and from Hobby.

What time should we leave our hotel and head to Hobby to get on the shuttle?

Is there only one shuttle for the entire day?

If not what is the earliest they will leave Hobby heading to Galveston?

Our flights retuning home depart Hobby at 5:00 pm so I know that will be enough time to make it back.

Now on returning to Hobby what is the Latest shuttle to leave the ship? Is there a certain time you have to be on the shuttle by? Any extra info or tips would be great. This is my first time flying or using the shuttle services.

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

I'm still debating on keeping or canceling cruise. What time was your return flight? Currently have been checking flights in/out of Houston Hobby. Thanks so much for the input.

I live in Houston so I agree with your looking mainly at Hobby airport. That airport is pretty quick going through security and the terminal is not very large. I only use IAH when I travel internationally.

As for flight times I'd probably pick a 2pm flight or after. I took a cruise the same time that you are out of Galveston and we were delayed getting on the ship due to horrible fog - not too common, but still. So I would think to be absolutely safe just stick with the 2pm or later if you can.

• 1 month later...
Personally I would make it after 3pm.

You can easily make a 1145am flight if you walk your luggage off but if immigratioon forgets to show up on time and if you have to many Nationals onboard it can delay you debarkation

These men and women don't forget to show up they are some of the most reliable and responsible people in the country. They do their job well and most of that includes keeping the wrong people and things out of our country if waiting in line so that they can do their job is an imposition maybe cruising isn't for you. And yes I do take this personal as a customs and immigration wife my husband and his co workers put their lives at risk every time they report for duty.

These men and women don't forget to show up they are some of the most reliable and responsible people in the country. They do their job well and most of that includes keeping the wrong people and things out of our country if waiting in line so that they can do their job is an imposition maybe cruising isn't for you. And yes I do take this personal as a customs and immigration wife my husband and his co workers put their lives at risk every time they report for duty.

I agree with you. However, ICE must meet in Houston and ride together to the port. They are not allowed to take their personal vehicles. If one is late or does not show, all must wait for a replacement. They don't ever "forget" to show, it is a mattter of policy.

• 1 month later...

Every port presents challenges, so don't worry. To me, getting to the cruise is always a bit of a hassle, but then you have 7 or so days to not worry about anything! So a little hassle is worth it in the end.

FLL is so easy in that the port and airport are so convenient, however, we cruised out of FLL at Christmas and what usually is a 15 minute round trip from the port to the airport to drop the car and back to the port took almost an hour due to some construction going on and the location of our ship in the terminal. Course some of this might have had to do with our travel companions, who aren't the easiest of people to travel with.

MIA is one of my least favorite ports because there isn't an easy way to get rental cars or other ground transportation without actually going back to the airport and it's so busy traffic around the port can be a nightmare.

LAX was much further away from the port than I wanted when we cruised out of the Port of LA, but getting to the port was easy and inexpensive and the hotel we stayed at had a rental car facility on property, so we rented there to do some pre-cruise exploring for much less than at the airport. And there was plenty to do within a short walk from the hotel.

New Orleans was so expensive to stay in the area and we had to stay four days pre cruise for a different event, we ended up staying about 30 miles away from downtown to get a decent rate, but rental cars in the area were easy to get to for pre cruise drop off and post cruise pick up. Sailing out of New Orleans is so pretty however. Best sail-a-way of all 17 of our cruises.

We did Houston once and it was a bit of a hassle and we missed our 12:30 p.m. flight (which was OK as it had already been cancelled by the time we got off the ship). That was due to the rental car situation, which I assume is a lot like Galveston. I think things will be different when the new port opens. When we went from Houston, it was basically an empty warehouse building with a "jet bridge" to the ship.

What we are doing for Galveston is renting a car for the whole week. It's cheaper than ship transfers, limo or cab. We're staying at the Harbor House and it's $10/day to park during the cruise or they allow you to park for free at their sister hotel, the Hotel Galvez, with a shuttle back to port. The free parking makes it a great deal. Several places offer free parking, such as the Inn at the Waterpark, but they don't have a shuttle. Galveston is small enough that a taxi ride isn't going to be too expensive if you choose to take one of the places with free parking and no shuttle, similar to a ride from FLL to port. Renting for the week is also significantly cheaper than one-way rentals to Galveston, which have a $100 drop off fee each way, so there's $200 right there. Two one-way rentals are over $300, so the $210 week long rental is much more cost-effective.

Archived