Alaska last week of September

sodell

I'm thinking of the last week of September to Alaska. How is the weather? I figured "what the heck Alaska is cold!" but how cold? Also, how much daylight or lack of daylight? Any other thoughts for that time of year?

Thanks!!!

Days are shorter and it is more likely to rain, as well as being colder than the earlier cruises....been there done that! You will have more hazy, foggy, misty days and you won't see as much wildlife and probably no whales. There will be fewer shore excursions and a lot of the shops will be closed for the season.

I personally wouldn't cruise after the first week in September. Why are you considering sailing at that late date--price? schedule? If you've never been to Alaska June through August will give you more bang for your buck. We've got our 5th booked for June of 2005. It's different each time we go. icon_biggrin.gif

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

I would have to disagree with char. It's been a few years since we went on our Alaska cruise but when we did we went on the 2nd to last week of September. The following week was the last cruise before they left. I have to say the weather was fine, all depends on where you are. In some places where we ventured into Canada we had winter jackets on and others (Juneau) we went fishing in t-shirts.

As for fog and wildlife, we were told that that year we went, Glacier bay had been closed for many weeks due to fog and seals breeding in the bay. The bay had just been reopened when we were there.

We were told we were also lucky that we had one of the only weeks of the season that it didn't rain. The rain on the glaciers along with the summer temperatures also contribute to the fog, in September it's getting cooler so you won't have it that much.

We went on the wildlife whale watching tour and saw Seals, Eagles, a Black bear, Humpback whales and someone had asked the guide if we had a chance of seeing killer whales and she said they hadn't seen any in awhile and if they did you would see her holding HER camera. Well not 10 min later the captain got a call about kller whales being sighted and we shot over to where the other boat was and there was 2 killer whales! True to her word I turned around and there was the guide with the headset on and her camera in her hand!!

Plus school is in so there are are less kids around and you can probably get a good deal. I wouldn't steer away from it.

Time til we sail on Miracle!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;1;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

"Upgrade your ship, not your room"

Thanks for your feedbacks.

NCL Spirit has a repo VAN to SF via Juneau 9-25. It's our 25th anniversary so we really want to sail this particular week; don't want to risk hurricane season & Hawaii is out of our budget.

It sounds like "Can't predicate the weather" scenario. Darn, I make decisions for a living, but can't make personal ones.

Hurricane season in Alaska?? Thought that was only a caribbean thing.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Last year my DH and I were in Alaska the 2nd and 3rd week in September and it was specular. It only was misty in Sitka but we went prepared and bought umbrellas. Of course anytime of the year we always go prepared. Now maybe this Sept. it may cold. No one ever knows. Just go prepared, umbrellas, gloves, and layer, layer and more layers.

No matter what the weather is like (wait a few minutes and it may change!) you will have a memorable cruise because you are celebrating your anniversary icon_biggrin.gif You just never know how the climate will be when you are there, so, as others have said, be prepared with layers and rain gear.

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

If you like to shop or want to buy some unique Christmas gifts, you can take advantage of the end of the season sales when you're in port.

Roz

My husband and I went to Alaska (our very first cruise!) on the last cruise of Princess' season. The crew was in a great mood because many of them were going home at the end of the week. It was pretty chilly, but we expected it to be freezing, so the weather was better than we expected. We did have a flight excursion cancelled because of fog and rain, but that probably can happen anytime.

Archived