Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

I'm approaching the Baltic cruise as I did for Alaska--layers of clothes, waterproof (not resistant) jacket, eye-mask for sleeping (I'm very light sensitive), roomy waterproof hiking shoes with SmartWool socks. I absolutely love SmartWool socks --soft not scratchy--and oh so comfortable! I get them at Sierra Trading http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~smart-wool-socks/?perPage=24

Thank you for that link, I have ordered me two different pairs with different weights. We are going on May 7 and it is going to be quite cool then.

Thank you for that link, I have ordered me two different pairs with different weights. We are going on May 7 and it is going to be quite cool then.

You are welcome:) I have them in different weights and styles also. They were marvelous in Alaska.

Don't expect to buy any gifts on the cruise. Everything was very expensive. If you want to get a better deal of gifts find a department store.

Great tip. I've found that to be the case in a lot of places we've visited, not just the Baltic.

What a wealth of information here. We've been to the Baltic twice and it's all documented at my blog. The first trip we used the ship's excursions in St. Petersberg. The second time we used a private company that gave us a spectacular two day tour. Only eight of us in a mini bus and I think we hit all the highlights--including the subway which is truly unusual. Search my blog for your ports and the information on what we did should all be there. Of course, be sure to check with Cruise Critic for current reviews of the tour guides. Things do change.

Some really great info here by all who have already been and happy to share their experiences with others.

When we went, some 3 years ago now, we thought we were prepared for everything. We spent so many hours on this site, asking about everything, and we did a pretty good job of knowing most of the ins and outs.

Just a few other things, maybe others have missed.

When booking your cruise, make sure the ship docks in Stockholm and not in the town about an hour away.

Make sure you get to the Vasa Museum ASAP. As the day goes on and the crowds build up, they limit the number of people going in at one time. It pays to be there as early as possible.

Also, in Stockholm, try and get to the Palace to see the Changing of the Guard ceremony. It is about an hour, but you do not have to stay for the entire event if you don't want to.

When wandering about in Gamla Stan, get off the main streets and explore many of the marvelous narrow, cobblestone back streets.

If you dock in Warnemunde and do not go to Berlin, go to Rostock for a while and also get to the beach area in Warnemunde, and bring your swim suit if it isn't too chilly.

Do the walking tour that many of us have used in Tallinn. You can print it right out from several web sites.

Some one mentioned a photo ticket in St Petersburg. If you book a tour with one of the independent tour companies, ONE camera is covered under their blanket, any other camera's you need to buy a separate sticker for. This is only true in St Petersberg, in certain venues like the Hermitage.

In St Petersberg, try and get to the Grand Choral Synagogue. It was the ONLY religious place that stayed open during the Soviet regime

wear layers. If you go in August, the temperatures will be mild during the day, but cool in the early AM and later PM, and I would definitely forgo the sandals in favor of good walking shoes.

One other thing which helped us a great deal, try and exchange some money before you leave for several of the currencies. You don't need a lot of money, but something to buy a snack, take a taxi, pay for a bus ride. Yes, you could hit an ATM while there, but your time in these marvelous cities is short and make the most of it.

Here are a few of my pictures from our time to help get you a bit acclimated

In Stockholm, the Changing of the Guard Ceremony is wonderful to watch

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Sailing thru the Archipelago is truly a wonderful experience not to be missed

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1344.jpg

In Gamla Stan, get off the main street and you will discover so many hidden treasures

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1270.jpg

The Grand Choral Synagogue

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe991.jpg

In Tallinn, along the walking tour you will see the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

One last thing, do not miss the Canal boat tour in Copenhaven

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

I studied up and came prepared, but for whatever reason I still found Stockholm difficult to get around. We had purchased the Stockholm card (a great deal and very convenient for museum/sight admission) but probably should have also sprung for the HOHO bus or boat because public transportation was pretty complex (finding bus stops, figuring out which tram, and lots of transfers).

Go to Vasa early and then fit in every thing else in around that!

Just wondering how cold is it in August temperature. Can you wear sandals such as these. Found these are very comfortable for walking in our med cruises. These you can walk in rain with no problem but not sure about Baltics. . . .
Take this with a grain of salt (I'm from Wisconsin), but the two times we were on a Baltic cruise and the one time I was in Norway were all in mid-to-late August and it was quite comfy (high 60-70's for highs) -- when the sun was low or down it can be cool, but if you do the "geek" thing and wear socks under the sandals you can always strip them off as the day gets warmer.

But as others have said, the cobbles in scandanvia seem to be particularly wicked -- comfort over style any day!

Don't expect to buy any gifts on the cruise. Everything was very expensive. If you want to get a better deal of gifts find a department store.
Or a grocery store -- great local gift ideas.

We did really enjoy the market in Helsinki though -- lots of locally made products there. Also in Tallin -- the market outside where the ships docked were very nice -- local stuff and reasonably priced.

Hi! DH and I are planning our first Baltic cruise. I am wondering what tips everyone has for a first timer. Perhaps something you wish someone would have told you before your first trip to the Baltics...? For example, if you took a balcony cabin, did you have a hard time sleeping because of the late sunset/early sunrise? Are there any ports that are particular beautiful for sail-in or sail-out? THANKS!

Rest before the cruise. As our cruise director told us after the first sea day: rest because from now on it is going to be bam bam bam. And it was . And is was sooooooo worth it!

Plan to go back to St-Petersburg for the night excursions.

Had a balcony, did use it to look outside, next time oceanview will do.

Keep looking outside as you sail out of port. Interesting in Russia, beautiful in Sweden.

Read John Lawrence briefing on the Baltics. But because we had him in person as our CD ( a blessing) we caught up.

I like the way you say "first cruise to the Baltics". I agree, loved it and can't wait to go back.

In Tallin there is a litle street off the main place where you can buy beautiful knitted sweaters. Some ladies take the credit card other do not. Wish I had baught more.

Edited by Sailingpeace

Found beautiful and at a reasonnable price silver brooch in the Helsinky store close to the ship. Baught a unique Kuksa ( not sure of the spelling) wood cup from a local carver( check, some are factory made). Has become my saturday morning, I am relaxing cup. Beautiful things at a restaurant on a Princess tour to Catherine Palace ( actually I was wearing the wool scarf today), well worth the price and I use it a lot. Nice mittens from Sweden and of course sweaters from Norway.

Edited by Sailingpeace

I wish I would have packed warmer clothes! Make sure to bring an umbrella! Berlin was unbelievable and was definitely a must see for us. So much history. It was a fantastic trip!

We did a tour in Tallin, but I wished we would have just done Tallin on our own. Such a lovely town just to walk around in.

Enjoy!

I wish I would have packed warmer clothes! Make sure to bring an umbrella! Berlin was unbelievable and was definitely a must see for us. So much history. It was a fantastic trip!

We did a tour in Tallin, but I wished we would have just done Tallin on our own. Such a lovely town just to walk around in.

Enjoy!

Did you use a tour in Berlin or go yourself?

My recommendations are

- Stay at least two days in St. Petersburg

- Cruising Stockholm Archipelago

- Copenhagen and Tallinn are nice cities to visit

Hello,

I understood that only with a tour operator one can go to Russia without a visa, ok.

What about Tallinn and other Baltic capitals, do we need visas or tour operators there? Or we can just disembark and spend a day by ourselves?

Vaclav

Enjoy!

Hi again, one more question - how long is the way to Berlin from the ship?

. . . I understood that only with a tour operator one can go to Russia without a visa, ok.

What about Tallinn and other Baltic capitals, do we need visas or tour operators there? Or we can just disembark and spend a day by ourselves?

Tallinn and Riga, we did not need a Visa (US citizens) don't know if it is any different for any other nationalities.

Technically you still "need" the Visa in Russia even with the private tour, but most private tour companies pre-arrange the visa for their guests. If you are going with a private tour company (not the ships excursion) be sure to book early enough to leave your tour company enough time to do the paperwork.

Edited by Onessa

My recommendations are

- Stay at least two days in St. Petersburg

- Cruising Stockholm Archipelago

- Copenhagen and Tallinn are nice cities to visit

Hello,

I understood that only with a tour operator one can go to Russia without a visa, ok.

Vaclav

All the ports except St Petersberg, you are allowed to just walk off the ship, no customs, no immigration, just go as you please. There have been many debates on this site as to whether or not you should take your passport off with you. Some say always, while others say, leave it locked in your cabin and just carry a copy. That is up to you, but unless something seriously goes wrong, you will not need it.

Tallinn is just a wonderful town to wander around in on your own. You can download a great walking tour, just google Tallinn walking tours and you will find it. We cannot mention it here, for reasons no one really knows. Just be aware that walking in Tallinn, to get to the top of the town, there is a slight incline and you are walking on cobblestone streets. It is NOT a hard walk, more of a leisurely stroll, but if you have any walking impairments, it could make a difference.

Here are a few more pixs of Tallinn for you to enjoy

From the ship, it is a very easy walk to Fat Margret Gate, the main entrance into the old town

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

Tallinn is so European with it's narrow winding cobblestone street. A great way to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe518.jpg

Once at the top of the town, you get a exquisite view of the town, out towards the harbor where you can even see your ship

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe543.jpg

Here is the main town square, where you can just sit awhile and enjoy the entire area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster602.jpg

Along the walls of the city, are many, many vendors, selling an assortment of goods

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe622.jpg

And you never know what you will see wandering around the streets

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe627.jpg

Many of the shops are down below the street, but they are stocked full of great things

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe619.jpg

Hope this helps you a bit

Cheers

Len

Hi again, one more question - how long is the way to Berlin from the ship?

Although we did not make this trip, the time is about 3 hours each way.

Almost to a man or woman, the people who have made the trip, say it is well worth it.

Cheers

Len

Hello,

What are the best souvenirs from Baltic cruises? Gems? Scarfs? Dolls? I mean what are these countries famous for?

Amber! Nesting dolls and vodka. Linen in Tallin.

Frankly, I found the selection of amber so overwhelming that I didn't buy anything. Also, I was told by one clerk in a Russian souvenir shop that some amber was melted down and remolded. That was not what I wanted and put the one necklace I was holding in my hand back.

Before you buy nesting dolls, check them all out. When we got home, we opened ours and found that as we got to the smaller dolls the workmanship got worse. The smallest doll is terrible; it looks like a kid took a marker to it.

Frankly, I found the selection of amber so overwhelming that I didn't buy anything. Also, I was told by one clerk in a Russian souvenir shop that some amber was melted down and remolded. That was not what I wanted and put the one necklace I was holding in my hand back.

Before you buy nesting dolls, check them all out. When we got home, we opened ours and found that as we got to the smaller dolls the workmanship got worse. The smallest doll is terrible; it looks like a kid took a marker to it.

Thanks for the answer!

I will check amber in the shops, mom is crazy about it.

and one more prompt question - is it better to buy everything ashore? on board it is more pricey?

On our cruise, they always had souvenirs on board,and on the last day of the cruise, most were marked own 50%, but you are getting what was left from the rest of the cruise.

We found the best prices for souvenirs were at the pushcart type wagons that abound at every site in St Petersburg. Be aware, that many of the tour companies do not like stopping there, as they all have 'deals' with other shops, that they conveniently take you to for bathroom breaks and vodka tastings. Also, these carts do not carry expensive things like a very well made set of the nesting dolls. But if you are looking for the basics for souvenirs, and if you can get the tour to stop for a few minutes, there are deals to be had.

My DW saw this music box on the ship for maybe $100. We saw the exact same thing at a vendor by The Church of the Spilled Blood for $40. WE kind of snuck away from the group, hondled a bit with the vendor and ended up buying it for $25.00. It was the exact same thing we saw on the ship. We used US dollars and got dollars back as change.

Here is a pix of what these vendors look like

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe662.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

We would make several recommendations for you Baltic Cruise:

1. Book the May 25 date. There are 37 cruises in the Baltic and 68 in June. You will have fewer people at the busy places and less traffic as you travel.

2. There is so much to see and do in St. Petersburg 2 days won't be enough. Get a Visa and use a guide on the cruise stay. Return post cruise for a more relaxed stay in an apartment. The Visa will cover both stays and let you go where and when YOU choose. We have stayed twice in May 2009 and Sept. 2011.We used the guide as we pleased to help us shop for food and the transportation system. We just waved our Metro card at the gate and went all over- it war great to be free - in Russia !

We met many people who spoke English and were very helpful.

3. If you only stay during the cruise , consider the Baltic Air helicopter

that leaves from the Peter and Paul Fortress. You will see most of the city

in about 20 minutes.

I f you have any more questions - just ask.

Hello! Thanks for advice! How much was the helicopter? it's a dream, but I'm afraid, not a cheap one.