Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

Hi , I have downloaded the Tallinn walking tour, are there any other walking tour guides available for Baltic ports?

We set sail next week and I am very excited.

Have booked a two day private tour with Gude-Guru for St Petersburg :)

Any further advice will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Google is your friend. :) I found walking tours for a few ports by simply searching the city name and "walking tour." :D

"Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise .... "

How absolutely beautiful Stockholm is! The pictures don't do the city justice. We left wishing we had another day in this impressive city!

We wouldn't change anything about our day, just wish we'd had more time to spend here. We went to the Vasa Museum, which was absolutely fascinating! Spent quite a bit of time there. Then went to Skansen for a little while, though we could have spent a lot more time there. Took a ferry to Gamla Stan and strolled around a while before it was time to go back.

Edited by syesmar

"Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise .... "

How absolutely beautiful Stockholm is! The pictures don't do the city justice. We left wishing we had another day in this impressive city!

We wouldn't change anything about our day, just wish we'd had more time to spend here. We went to the Vasa Museum, which was absolutely fascinating! Spent quite a bit of time there.

Then went to Skansen for a little while, though we could have spent a lot more time there. Took a ferry to Gamla Stan and strolled around a while before it was time to go back.

Yeah Skansen requires allot of time if you want to see it all properly. I was there earlier this summer and I think

it took us about 5 hours (including lunch and "Fika breaks") and we still didn't explore everything.

Also have in mind that from the week after midsummer and about 2-2½ months onwards there is this thing we call "Allsång på Skansen" those days are usually more crowded then other days.

Also Valborg, June 6th and Midsummer are also more crowded then other days,

Edited by Desdichado62

Shrek seems to be everywhere in Tallin - not sure why. He was up at the old town overlook in the morning and out near Fat Margaret later in the day.

We took a bicycle taxi back to the ship in Tallin just for fun. It was.

After going back and forth 8 times, we began calling the immigration station at the port The St. Petersburg Checkpoint Charlie.....

When shopping, especially in St Petersburg, strike quickly when you see something. Make a decision. You likely won't get to go back to places. One lady on our St Petersburg tour (of just 14people) dilly dallied at shopping stops not making a decision on anything and ended up paying a fortune shopping on the ship for Russian things. As my group was walking out of the Church on The Spilled Blood, I quickly saw and purchased a beautiful mosaic cross. The decision was made in 3 seconds, no time to spare-not my usual shopping. Soooo glad I bought it! It is gorgeous!

Also have cash ready for street vendors with unique gifts. I bought super military style hats for $10 that they were selling for $13 at port and $30ish on ship.

To price compare-snap pictures of things you might be interested in at the port shopping area, then reference that when on your tour.

I agree with those who reported that everything was expensive. I was sticker shocked many times-especially the nesting dolls. They were sooooo much cheaper in Croatia when we cruised there. Croatias were hand painted and signed too, so I couldn't believe the price in Russia!

Plan on walking. Other than tours, we walked everywhere or used a public bus. Saved gobs of money in comparison to those who took taxis or used Carnival shuttles. I lost weight on this cruise.

I spent too much time worrying about which shoes to bring. I ended up wearing sketchers (not regular sneakers) without socks. I was fine. Wish I had not packed my clumpy sneakers.

We went kayaking in Finland. Ships excursion $189. We paid 65 Euros and had an unbelievable time! We just walked to visitor center in town and booked it. In hindsight, I would book iit in advance just in case they fill up. In our case, it was just the 5 of us! What an unbelievable day we had!

We are going on a Baltic cruise at the beginning of September. I have also found most of this info interesting, except the many postings about US CCs and Debit cards.

We know this part of the world is expensive, so don't really plan on buying much. However, I was interested to read about the woollen goods in Tallin. Can anyone remember how much the items cost?

We have booked a 2 day comfort tour in SPB with Alla and looking forward to it.

As far as the weather goes, I think it will more or less be like British weather, so we are used to being prepared for anything and dress in layers.

Thank you to all who have contributed comments on their experience3s.

We are going on a Baltic cruise at the beginning of September. I have also found most of this info interesting, except the many postings about US CCs and Debit cards.

We know this part of the world is expensive, so don't really plan on buying much.

Helsinki tourism at least in fact nows runs on rich Russians with the real purchase power. The occational cruisers from the west are paupers compared to them. The world has changed quite a bit.

We know this part of the world is expensive, so don't really plan on buying much. However, I was interested to read about the woollen goods in Tallin. Can anyone remember how much the items cost?

We have booked a 2 day comfort tour in SPB with Alla and looking forward to it.

As far as the weather goes, I think it will more or less be like British weather, so we are used to being prepared for anything and dress in layers.

Thank you to all who have contributed comments on their experience3s.

I didn't find it to be more expensive than what we're used to when traveling, for the most part. It seemed it was typical tourist prices--more than they should be but still within reason. The only place we did any serious shopping was after the cruise in Krakow--great prices there! :D

As far as Tallinn, we purchased a sweater, a scarf and a couple pairs of socks. The sweater was about E65 and the socks were each E10 (I think). The scarf was a beautiful infinity scarf that was E30.

Quilting Cruiser

Thank you for the information. The prices quoted are not particularly cheap, but if I see something really nice or different, I may treat myself. Maybe we are spoilt in the UK at being able to buy pure wool goods at reasonable prices.

Helsinki tourism at least in fact nows runs on rich Russians with the real purchase power. The occational cruisers from the west are paupers compared to them. The world has changed quite a bit.

SUBARCTIC

Now I understand why you have been talking about St Petersburg and the "new" Russia with such saccharin praise.

You are easily influenced by money, big money.

Of course, all of those rich Russians came by their wealth honestly. ;)

I agree prices in Tallinn were not 'cheap' but not the dearest either. There is a good range of pricing though.

There's a wide range of product, and I appreciated that there was a fair range that was locally made, well designed and not just generic/mass produced.

As for the service, the staff were happy to deal with all customers, not just 'rich Russians.' :rolleyes:

Helsinki - The ATMs were available everywhere in Helsinki and are called OTTO they usually have a bright orange awning above the machine, you could get denominations from 20 to 350 Euro, my bank charged $1.20 US per transaction.

My ATM card is not chipped so I used the yellow slot and had no problem, blue slot is for the cards with chips in them. Most local people and vendors speak multi-languages and will point you in the right direction to find OTTO.

We shopped at Stockmanns which was not far from Market Square, with a deli in the basement to the souveniers on the upper floors it was an interesting place and accepted credit cards.

We took the ferry out to Suomenlinna Sveaborg, the Russian Fort. Upon arrival, we went to the store off to the right and bought cheese, bread, beverages, the Finnish licorice and other picnic foods, again using a credit card. We toured all over the fort grounds, which can take as long or as short as you'd like. It was well worth it to go to the far point, visitors had blankets and were having picnics everywhere on the grounds, or were out on the rocks enjoying the warm sunshine, views of the water and watching the fisherman.

Be sure to use the restrooms before going too far along, they're plentiful closer to where the ferry docks, once you get away from the cobblestoned paths and information buildings, there are none.

A previous poster mentioned a pub/cafe close to the ferry dock, we stopped in on the way back and had a drink before catching the ferry.

One of the Regent of the Seven Seas was docked that day and was pulling out as we walked around the fort grounds. Later in the week we saw a Celebrity ship docked farther out of town.

One tip I'd give for any port is to carry one or more of those recycled bags you get from your local grocery store for .99c. They fold flat and are easier to carry than plastic bags, you can throw everything from souvenier purchases, extra sweater or jacket, umbrellas in them while in port.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone suggest a good tour group to use for tours in St Petersburg, we will be there in June 2014 on Celebrity Eclipse

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We used TJ Tours and were very happy with their service, also !

How intense is the 2day tour in St.Petersburg? Did anyone have trouble keeping up?

There are different levels depending how much you want to squeeze in. Some folks want to see it all. But they also offer the relaxed tours with more resting and less hurrying. There are also moderate tours which leave out one or two sites for folks who realize their limitations. We choose the moderate tour and it was fine. We then had time to do a night tour.

I just read this thread from end to end and appreciate the many tips I copied and pasted over to Tripit.

We don't leave until July, but with wind chills in the negatives it was nice to remind myself that summer will come round again.