Things you wish someone told you before your first Baltic cruise

Tennant

If you like to take photos:

Several places require you to purchase a ticket/sticker/permit to take photos inside the building. In Russia some places only took Rubles as a form of payment.

I'm still reading through the thread so maybe this has been asked and answered already (I'll find out soon), but do you recall where you needed a permit to take inside photos and how much they cost?

I'm still reading through the thread so maybe this has been asked and answered already (I'll find out soon), but do you recall where you needed a permit to take inside photos and how much they cost?

Check with your tour operator--the permits are included in our trip with Alla

If you like to take photos:

Several places require you to purchase a ticket/sticker/permit to take photos inside the building. In Russia some places only took Rubles as a form of payment.

Check with your tour operator--the permits are included in our trip with Alla

Thank you. I'll take a look--we're touring with Alla, too.

At there ATM's in St Peterburg? Or, old you exchange on the ship?

There are ATM's. We were on a River Cruise, not a big ship tour. I did use the ATM to get extra Rubles while in Russia, but I also brought some with me. (Got them at AAA). We went from St. Petersburg to Moscow, visiting small villages along the way. ATM's were not available in the smaller villages.

I got the impression that the chip and pin thing is more of a problem if you use your card in a machine. We never had a problem on our last trip to the Mediterranean but that was a few years ago and we paid cash for most things. Generally seems like a good idea to have local currency especially for restrooms. Of course this cruise will be harder since we need several different kinds of currency.

This was my experience in The Netherlands. I couldn't purchase a train ticket at the machines because I had no PIN for my credit card. I was able to use my card in shops with no problem though.

I appreciate all the great information and advice on this thread! We leave for Europe in just over 2 months and our excitement builds daily!

As far as walking, have any of you worn Teva hiking sandals? DD has asked me to purchase some for her for the trip and I just want to make sure that's a good choice for all the walking on cobblestones.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the great information and advice on this thread! We leave for Europe in just over 2 months and our excitement builds daily!

As far as walking, have any of you worn Teva hiking sandals? DD has asked me to purchase some for her for the trip and I just want to make sure that's a good choice for all the walking on cobblestones.

Thanks!

Love mine--wear them with and without socks. I now have some of their waterproof hiking shoes. She will need something to keep her feet warm and dry if the weather is lousy.

Edited by Alaskanb

Love mine--wear them with and without socks. I now have some of their waterproof hiking shoes. She will need something to keep her feet warm and dry if the weather is lousy.

So, they'd be good for the cobblestones? I just got home from work and we were talking about it and that the weather won't be all that warm since we'll be there in June. We'll go take a look at them this weekend.

Thanks!

So, they'd be good for the cobblestones? I just got home from work and we were talking about it and that the weather won't be all that warm since we'll be there in June. We'll go take a look at them this weekend.

Thanks!

The soles and support would be good--the question is will they be warm enough if it's wet and chilly. I am taking them and the trail shoes with me. My sandals have soles like these http://www.sierratradingpost.com/teva-hurricane-xlt-sport-sandals-for-women~p~4134c/?filterString=womens-footwear~d~19%2FTeva~b~20120%2F&colorFamily=02

The soles and support would be good--the question is will they be warm enough if it's wet and chilly. I am taking them and the trail shoes with me. My sandals have soles like these http://www.sierratradingpost.com/teva-hurricane-xlt-sport-sandals-for-women~p~4134c/?filterString=womens-footwear~d~19%2FTeva~b~20120%2F&colorFamily=02

Totally understand. That's my concern, too. We live in the Pacific Northwest so are used to cool and wet. She's a typical teen and wears flip flops even when it's raining. But, I'll make sure she brings a pair of comfortable walking shoes, too. Thanks for your help!

Totally understand. That's my concern, too. We live in the Pacific Northwest so are used to cool and wet. She's a typical teen and wears flip flops even when it's raining. But, I'll make sure she brings a pair of comfortable walking shoes, too. Thanks for your help!

Maybe some Smartwool socks would work--get mine at Sierra Trading or Amazon

SO how did you pay for such items. Did you exchange your money, using a card in these situations doesn't seem likely. DId you use dollars? I assumed you could use your card as freely in Europe as we do in America.

Yes, very good and wise comments on BOTH comfortable AND solid shoes. You'll be on your feet lots and the various pavement surfaces can be seriously challenging. Don't worry about fashion in this area of the world. Safety can also be an important factor to consider. People get busy with all of the wonderful sights and are not always looking down where you are walking. Some of the stone used can be a little slick in places, etc.

Hermitage, they have a gift shop area and it might be good to check your options there. You can go on the Hermitage website and see some of the options that they offer. [/color][/font][/size]

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,555 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 91,937 views.

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Here we are inside a nice linen shop near the City Hall.: [/b]

Here is a Tallinn street-shop vendor with various woolen items at her stall near the famous Viru Gate as you entered the lower walled area. This area is commonly called the “Sweater Wall”. Very charming and interesting. Good values and buys.:[/b]

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. And it’s free! No charge or tickets required.: [/b]

Edited by PG13

SO we will be going to 6 different countries and you suggest we get about $50 for each country. Where can you do this exchange, most banks? And do they charge you to do this? And then what if you buy nothing much and then you could end up with $300 to trade back. But if you don't do this then how do you buy items a markets and booths as many suggest here.

5 different currencies for us including Great Britain Pounds! We plan on taking roughly $50.00 worth with us in each port. Hopefully it should cover any restrooms and small purchases such as drinks/snacks etc. We like to bring home currency from our travels to share with youngsters in the family so what we don't spend will serve as souvenirs!

Dolfans from Miami

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do!"

Walt Disney

The easiest way to get cash for a country is to use an ATM when you get there --check with your bank for the fees. You can purchase certain currency through AAA--fees again. I do both when I visit the UK --I want immediate cash if I need a car service and later I use a bank's ATM. When folks visit the UK my advice is to think about a $1 hamburger--in the UK it will probably cost 1 pound--or $1.50. Money goes quickly!

For the Baltics we will also be taking the equivalent of $50 per port. My feeling is that by the time we have purchased a drink and a snack for two of us, maybe bus fares, tips, and other sundry items in the very expensive countries we are visiting then the $50 will go quickly. Anything leftover will be donated to a charity before we leave the country and some saved for grand kids.

To give you an idea of Copenhagen prices here is a menu from a nice cafe http://www.andersen-danmark.dk/media/Menukort_nyt.pdf

Edited by Alaskanb

SO we will be going to 6 different countries and you suggest we get about $50 for each country. Where can you do this exchange, most banks? And do they charge you to do this? And then what if you buy nothing much and then you could end up with $300 to trade back. But if you don't do this then how do you buy items a markets and booths as many suggest here.

We got money through Wells Fargo. We aren't customers. Did it over the phone. Didn't really shop around for exchange rates, just figured they were probably the same as other banks. They charge $15 to ship it to your house (waived if you get more than $1000). $7.50 to ship to a branch. Since the shipping was the same no matter how much we got we ended up with $100 worth of Danish, Swedish and Euros and $30 of Russian. I don't think we will have any trouble spending all of it, except maybe in Russia since we will be on a tour that pays for everything except souvenirs.

We don't have a local Wells Fargo, so calling is our best bet, did it take long? If we are going to England, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Talinn, Sweden, Norway - which of these will except Euros? Can you go up to all banks and use their ATM as long as you are willing to pay the fees? Never used ATM out of US.

We got money through Wells Fargo. We aren't customers. Did it over the phone. Didn't really shop around for exchange rates, just figured they were probably the same as other banks. They charge $15 to ship it to your house (waived if you get more than $1000). $7.50 to ship to a branch. Since the shipping was the same no matter how much we got we ended up with $100 worth of Danish, Swedish and Euros and $30 of Russian. I don't think we will have any trouble spending all of it, except maybe in Russia since we will be on a tour that pays for everything except souvenirs.

We don't have a local Wells Fargo, so calling is our best bet, did it take long? If we are going to England, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Talinn, Sweden, Norway - which of these will except Euros? Can you go up to all banks and use their ATM as long as you are willing to pay the fees? Never used ATM out of US.

We can order currency from our local Chase bank and pick it up there at no extra charge. We normally don't do this though since ATMs are so easy to use in Europe...especially if your bank doesn't charge you for using overseas ATMs. We have a credit union Debit card that doesn't charge that we only use for travel.

Might just be me, but we take no foreign currency. Just a small amount of USDs when we leave, and then just try to use credit and get cash as we go from ATMs. We have found getting to an ATM quite easy, and use an ATM from Capital One banking with very favorable exchange rates (0% fee, the same for their credit cards). Call your bank and find out what fees would apply for using your ATM card overseas. The small amount of USDs we start with can always be exchanged in an absolute emergency just about anywhere, . . . but we have never had to do this yet.

Coming up this summer in the Baltic, we will go with the same plan even though 3 of our 6 countries are not in the Eurozone. USDs for an emergency, get Euro during our layover in Amsterdam for primary cash supply (resupply in the 3 of 6 Euro ports), . . . and get local currency from ATMs as needed in the other 3 stops if credit cards or Euro can not be used. Note: Some of your 6 countries might be in the Eurozone, . . . you might want to look at this map if you have not done so yet.

Eurozone Map

Any left over local cash, if not a significant amount, can be used as extra tip money for the crew or tour guides, given away to others, or returned as souvenirs for the grand kids. Large amounts can be exchanged back, but we try very hard to avoid this by only taking what is needed through multiple stops at ATMs as we go.

For what it is worth, I do not like exchanging cash with US banks - at all. Their buy/sell exchange rates stink, and are almost as bad as the exchange booths in airports, . . . and then some banks add 'fees' to boot. That gap in the buy sell rate (or simply the gap from the wholesale exchange rate and buy rate) is the real cost of the transaction. Even if you have cards with a 2 or 3 % foreign transaction fee added, it is usually a lot better in then end than buying/selling money. I understand some want 'peace of mind', . . . with having local cash in pocket, . . . I just feel it is so easy today to get local money that it is no longer a concern for us.

Edited by brentp

We also use Wells Fargo but without fees because our accounts are there and just pick it up at our local branch. Whatever we don't use on the trip (bills only, not coins) can be returned back for US dollars. I am trying to figure out now exactly how much and what denominations we need.

We also use Wells Fargo but without fees . . ..

Just an FYI. I am really passing this on so readers can understand the cost of money. Again, people need to do what makes them most comfortable.

Here is an example based on today's rates, . . .

Wells Fargo today sells Euros at a 1.3801 USB rate. This means, to buy 100 Euro today, it would cost you $138.01 USD.

Source:Wells Fargo Foreign Currency Rates

Visa today uses an exchange rate of 1.312769 to USB. This means a 100 Euro charge today would result in a Credit Card charge of $131.28 USD. This is prior to any bank fees (usually a percentage). If you used a Visa with a 0% Foreign Transaction Fee, you would pay the $131.28, . . . with a 1% FTF would be $132.59, . . . and even a 3% FTF would be $135.22. 3% is about the highest added by banks.

Source: Visa Exchange Rate

Wells Fargo is selling Euro today at a 5.12% premium over the going Visa Credit Card Rate. More than the charge on a credit card, even those with a 3% FTF. Worse, when you return, to sell your Euro back to the bank, they are going to very likely go 5% in the other direction of the wholesale rate (Visa Rate). Meaning, if you returned with the 100 Euro you bought originally for $138.01, you will get ~$124.72 if the Visa rate was the same. The $14 - the bank is keeping as their 'fee'. The banks will just tell you the rates have changed, . . . which is not true.

ATMs use a similar approach: a FTF fee added to the wholesale rate, . . . plus some banks add a fee on top of the exchange. You simply need to ask your bank what the fees are so you know in advance if it is a good option. Here are two examples:

Capital One (at 0% FTF, no ATM fee): 100 Euro out of an ATM today is $131.28. USD

XYZ Bank (1% FTF, + $5 per transaction fee): 100 Euro today is $137.59. I think this is Bank of America outside of their Global Alliance, but could not verify the 1% FTF.

Finally, one additional caution to pass along on using Credit Cards. Some merchants will 'convert' the bill to your home currency (say to USD). They tell you this is for your convenience. Never accept this, and ask the merchant to re-run the charge in their local currency. What has happened here is you have contracted with a 3rd party to convert the money. They use a very unfavorable rate. Both the merchant and the 3rd party share in the profit. Worse, your bank will likely still add on the FTF to the transactions. There are cases where this has amounted to over a 10% premium to the purchase when this happens.

Sorry for the long winded post, . . . just thought the questions were ask so would try to add some details with examples to the real cost of buying/selling money. While the difference in the 100 Euro example is not great, . . . the more you spend, the faster the true cost adds up. For what it is worth, I'm not a banker, . . . I just have a good understanding on how this really works.

My Recommendation:

- Skip 'the need' to buy money before you leave. Take some USD with you. In an emergency, you can always exchange (at a very bad rate).

- Use a credit card for big items, and an ATM for cash as you go.

- get an ATM card with a low FTF and no ATM fee. Again, Capital One (need a bank account with them) and Credit Unions are often recommended.

- get a credit card with a low FTF. Capital One and Credit Unions are often recommended. Here is a list (I have not verified) No Fee Credit Cards

- Ensure the merchant runs credit card purchases in their local currency.

Here is a good source for additional reading.

Avoiding Foreign Transaction Fees

And most importantly, . . . enjoy the cruise!!!

Edited by brentp

Adding to my recommendations (things I forgot)

- Call the banks of all the cards you take with you. They may stop charges if they are not aware you are traveling.

- Make sure your ATM uses a 4 digit numeric PIN. I do not have any direct experience, but have read PINs in some countries must meet this criteria.

Wow, thanks for all this information! I didn't realize what an impact exchanging money could have on our bottom line! I am rethinking my decision to exchange money at all prior to leaving on my cruise. I will talk to my bank (Chase) and see what the fees are on withdrawing money from ATM's and credit card charges. I will also notify them of my travel dates so they don't put a hold on my account.. Thanks again for posting this very thorough explanation on this topic. I have shared this as well with my roll (I hope you don't mind) since we are sailing in a few weeks. Thanks again! :)

Dolfans from Miami

• 4 weeks later...
I got the impression that the chip and pin thing is more of a problem if you use your card in a machine. We never had a problem on our last trip to the Mediterranean but that was a few years ago and we paid cash for most things. Generally seems like a good idea to have local currency especially for restrooms. Of course this cruise will be harder since we need several different kinds of currency.

At least here in Finland you will now be out of luck without the chip card.

All the ATMs got upgraded over a year ago, and I see the last remaining chains of stores have recently upgraded theirs as well. The shops are still allowed to use the backup method of showing your ID and the credit card, but are not obliged to do so.

On which Finnish ATMs accept which international cards, please see:

http://www.otto.fi/in-english/

Also:

https://www.korttiturvallisuus.fi/en/In-a-shop/Paying-with-a-chip-card/